Status: The image displayed belongs to ~mr-tiefenrausch of Deviantart.

Mirror Quest

A Chance Encounter

I awoke soon after the sun rose. Oliver and I happened upon a seemingly abandoned shelter made from sticks, branches and leaves that resembled a tent. I assumed whoever previously built the shelter wouldn't mind if I rested inside of it for the night. I listened to Oliver's soft snoring and watched his chest rise and fall with every breath he took. I reached over and lightly rubbed his soft, furry belly before exiting the shelter. I decided to let Oliver sleep on while I visited the river. Luckily it wasn't too far away. I would soon have to think about food as well. I had no idea where this sorcerer's hut was, nor did I know how to get there. My father's information was vague, but at least it was something.

I didn't get too far before I heard the snapping of twigs and distant muttering. The sounds were getting closer and louder, however I still couldn't quite make out the garbled speech. As quickly as I'd left, I silently and hurriedly entered the shelter once more. "Oliver, up and at 'em." I whispered to him while gently shaking him. Soon enough the white shepherd stirred from his slumber and looked at me with a confused expression. "We have company, bud. Time to hit the road." I said to him. He seemed to understand and swiftly stood up. Before exiting the shelter, I poked my head out to look around. Thinking that the coast was clear, I snuck out into the sunlight once again, only to be grabbed from behind by a strong and firm pair of hands. I let out a scream which was cut short when one of the hands clasped over my mouth. Oliver barked at my captor, but he soon calmed down when I was set down behind a large tree. Now I sat face to face with the man who grabbed me. He stared back at me with his eyes narrowed.

"Who are you and why are you here? Don't you dare try to lie to me, either." His expression was stern and he didn't look particularly thrilled that I was there, although his companion appeared to be more kind and forgiving. "Fred, stop it. She couldn't have known that she was in our shelter. In her defense, it does look rather empty and abandoned." He said. "I-I didn't know it was yours. I'm sorry." I managed to say, looking between the two men. The man named Fred sighed and stood up, taking his gaze off of me and looking at his friend. "Greg, you're far too soft, you know." Fred remarked, focusing his gaze on me again. "Go, and take your mutt with you." Oliver growled at Fred when he called him a mutt, but stopped when Greg began stroking his head. "Good boy." He said, now scratching behind Oliver's ears. "Where did you come from, hm? You definitely don't look like you take residence in the woods. You must have a home." Greg said to me, though his attention was focused on Oliver. "Well... I did. My home was attacked by the king's army. They took my parents. I wish I could've saved them, but..." I let my voice trail off and I stared at the ground.

I felt Greg bring my chin up to look at him using one of his fingers. "It's okay. You can come with us if you want. We just came here to collect some water." He said with a tender tone. I felt a smile tug at the corners of my lips at his kind words. "I'd love to, but would he approve?" I asked, my gaze moving from Greg's face to Fred's. He didn't look too eager to have me join them, but he rolled his eyes and nodded his head. "Fine, the girl can come. Keep the mutt out of my quarters, though." He said with a groan. Greg's face lit up, and I smiled at him again. "Come on, then!" He exclaimed, gesturing for Oliver and I to follow him and Fred. "Say, you know both of our names, but we don't know yours." Greg said. "I'm sorry, it completely slipped my mind. My name is Krea, and this is Oliver, Ollie for short." I said, allowing my hand to hang down beside his snout. I let out a giggle when I felt him lick it. "It's a pleasure. The others will love you back home, although Fred might require a little convincing." He said, lowering his voice so that Fred wouldn't hear the comment. I became a little bit nervous at the mention of others. What if they weren't as welcoming? What if they didn't want me to stay there? I imagine Greg would likely stand up for me, though. He did convince Fred to let me tag along and stay with them, after all.

Little did I know, it wasn't just the four of us in the forest that day. Oliver seemed to be on edge for the duration of the walk, however I just passed it off as him being just as nervous as I was.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry this took so long! I promise chapter three won't take more than a week to upload. I know there isn't much action in this chapter, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. I mostly wanted to have this chapter centered around Krea meeting the secondary characters. She'll meet the rest of the crew in chapter three, too. Anyway, leave me some comments and some positive/constructive criticism, as I always welcome it! See you in the next chapter, readers. :)