Welcome to the Halewood Asylum

II

I sat in the rec room as the crazies went about their business; which was literally nothing but they were content. I watched everything that was going on around me as this was the first time being in this disgusting room. It smelt like glue and shit but it was a lot better than prison. During the trial I was told that I could eventually leave the asylum once I show signs that I have changed. If I had gone to prison, I would be as good as dead in two months.

I thought about the people I had killed. Yesterday in therapy I was asked about the "victims" and the crime that I had completed. I sat in silence because I didn't feel the need to answer her mindless questions about something that was publicly broadcast throughout California, if not the world. Everyone knew my story and what I had done but every one wanted the real reason why and what brought me to do such a thing.

flashback

I sat on the swing in the backyard as strange people began to fill the house for a party my father was having. Once again I was not invited because I was too young which was a lie, he just wanted to get a lap dance from some trashy woman in minimal clothing while other scantily clad whores found a room and used it to perform sexual acts on the guests.

I kicked off the ground and moved the swing as the curtains in the rooms of the rear side of the house began to close. I hated whenever my father would have these "sex parties." I was always forced to sit outside for the entire time of the party and they seemed to last several hours.

Luckily today was one of the nice days that we were having this autumn. I could easily and happily sit outside as long as it didn't rain. It was just the perfect temperature to be stuck outside alone but I didn't like to be alone because I spent most of my 7 years alone because my father was always busy and my mother was a mystery to me.

"What are you doing out here?" A woman's voice startled me. I stopped and glanced over at her. She was wearing very little clothing and she walked with a stagger. I narrowed my eyes as the horrendous scent of alcohol hit my nostrils.

"Get away from me, whore." I said standing up. She stood up straight and looked down at me. She grabbed my wrist and pushed her nails into my skin. I glared at her as she squeezed tighter until she had punctured the skin.

"One day you'll be another whore just like me." She spat. I tossed my head back and laughed at her words. Her eyes went wide as my sinister laugh filled the air around us.

"One day I will be better than you." I retorted. She let go of my wrist and slapped me across my face. I held my face and looked at her completely oblivious to my surroundings. She was about to slap me again when a shotgun was fired right at the whore's head. Her body fell to the ground in a pile at my feet. I glanced over to the house to see my father with the gun in his hands still pointed at the whore.

"Interno." He sharply demanded. I nodded and did as I was told, rushing into the house and finding peace within the walls of my room.


I put my fingers over the scars from the alcoholic whore as I stared at the wall absentmindedly. That was the first time that I had seen someone die and it changed me. On that day I had gone from innocent child to monster.

"Matarese, you have evaluation." Ms. Riley said as she came over to me. She gave me a knowing look which I returned. In my short time here, I had learned that this Ms. Riley woman was about as crooked as they came. I stood from where I was sitting and followed Ms. Riley through the rec room. Once out the doors, she grabbed my left elbow as my head bobbed back and forth and I stared at the ceiling slowly blinking my eyes.

I was forced into a chair across from some really high up law enforcement people and a psychiatrist who were here to evaluate if I really was clinically insane. I could feel there eyes on me as I stared at the ceiling above my head. All week I had been getting this act ready by the order of Ms. Riley.

"Ms. Matarese, can you hear us?" One of the men spoke up after several minutes of silence. I knew that Ms. Riley and a guard were standing behind me. I remained silent and slowly looked at the officers and doctor. I slowly blinked at them.

"Ms. Riley, what seems to be wrong with her?" The doctor asked the elder woman behind me. A hand was placed on my shoulder and I had to fight the impulse to look at the person who was touching me.

"We have not a clue. She has been this was since the day after she arrived. It could be a reaction to the drugs or her mental instability. We really cannot tell." Ms. Riley lied. I felt the need to sneer and make a snide remark but I held it back for the remainder of the evaluation. This was going to be a piece of cake.