Status: HIATUS

You Found Me

Why I did it, why I lied

I remembered the next day why I didn't drink at all, even a little. I was completely dehydrated and John kept laughing at me when he realized that he forgot to make me drink lots of water after our bonding session.

In all seriousness, what brother would laugh at her little sister because he forgot to give his drunk sister water?

My throat felt like the entirety or Arizona and by then, I was already fully aware that I had low tolerance for alcohol. I finished 4 of the bottles John had around and he told me that I wasn't even supposed to feel even a little bit buzzed.

The next day, aside from the desert in my mouth, I had a slight headache even if I don't think I drank enough for me to get a hangover. But I dragged myself out of my bed and got ready for school because John was going to kick my ass (even if I could brown belt his) if I decided to get depressed and not leave. The last thing he wanted to happen to me was not feel like going to school because of the issue.

But really, who wants to go to school when all her best friends think she's the biggest liar ever?

I rode with John on the way to school and I didn't try being discrete about it since I wasn't hiding anything anymore. There were some who stared as I walked in with John by my side. I walked with my head down and I noticed that John glanced at me multiple times without even greeting the people he usually would talk to in the morning. I was already in front of my room and John hadn't split.

"You're fine?" He mumbled before I took a step inside.

"I'm 17. I think I'm okay," I nodded and forced a smile before going inside. I could hear John's witty remark, '17 and anti-social, you mean' but I just rolled my eyes and took a seat somewhere in front. I usually sat at the right side in the middle because that's where Pat always sits but I figured that I should keep my distance.

I put my bag on the floor and my book on my desk and I hung my head down low, not wanting to attract any attention. But apparently, it was really just coming to me.

A girl with hair that looks like it's in flames sat beside me and had this mischievous smirk on her face. I stared at her with my eyebrows raised, waiting for her to do or say anything because the only thing I know about her is her name and that we have English together.

"You and John are dating?" She said with her high-pitched voice. I think she was going for a whisper or a mumble but it just came out shrilly and I couldn't help but cringe.

"No," I shook my head slightly bit my lip. "He's.. Uh, he's my brother."

"NO WAY," her jaw dropped to the ground and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her. "Hmm, that explains the eye color."

"Yeah," I said awkwardly, turning back to the chalkboard in front of us. I didn't want to elaborate on how John was my brother.

"Does he like..." She had this Cheshire cat grin on her lips before continuing her sentence, "maybe like have a girlfriend?"

I twisted my mouth and tried my hardest not to give her a sour expression. Because really, my expectations did not disappoint me. This girl was here and her obvious goal was to get to John. "You should talk to him. He likes talking to everyone anyway."

"Great," she smiled before standing up and moving to another seat way at the back. I just noticed that everyone was seated in place and the only vacant chair was beside me. The bell rang and the teacher entered, making everyone get quiet. I turned back and saw Pat in his usual seat. He was already staring at me but he dragged his gaze away when we had eye contact.

I sighed and sunk back into my chair. This day was going to be a long one for sure. Just like my first day of classes.

Kennedy was waiting for me outside the room when first period was done. We walked to the Chemistry Lab in silence and without any contact. I thought about switching lab partners, but I couldn't leave Jared hanging unless he was the one who wanted out. When me and Kennedy got to the room, Jared was seated at our usual counter but instead of the smile he gave me the moment I get through the door, he just stared at me like I was a ghost or something.

I stood beside the chair and looked at him. "I-uh, should I-"

Jared nodded quietly and I just sighed and sat down, relieved that he still accepted me as a lab partner. I was wishing it isn't because I'm the one who fixes things when we do experiments. But I'm just happy I still get my counter.

The teacher came in and he had a bunch of papers in his hands. Test papers. Graded, probably.

"Morning. No good, because one fourth of the class failed the quiz," he said, making the class get in a fit of murmurs. "You should've dropped this class if you really didn't want to take AP Chemistry." He took a good look at the test papers and squinted his eyes, reading the one on top. "O'Callaghan... March. Highest score."

He walked over to the back and handed me my paper with a small smile on his face. I could feel everyone's eyes on me even if our teacher walked back in front. It was all perfect timing, as always. But I knew that it would've been less embarrassing if they found out like this rather than yesterday when I was naked under a towel and wet.

I hung my head low but from the corner of my eyes, I could see people whispering with each other and Kat staring at Kean in disbelief. I could feel Jared's stare digging holes at the side of my head but I didn't look at him, not even once. I didn't want to face him, not if he didn't want me to.

When Chemistry finished, I walked straight out, avoiding anyone, even Kennedy. I wanted to be alone. Or at least that was what I kept saying. I knew I didn't want to be alone. I wanted Daisy to show up during free period and chat my ears off but that was obviously not happening. Until the last minute the bell rang for the next period, which was lunch, I was hoping she would come. But she didn't.

What I got was a couple of girls asking me about how they didn't know John had a brother until this morning and why I didn't mention it to anyone. And they kept telling me how cool it must be to have him as my brother. I would agree, to be honest, but when it's like this, I don't really find being John's sister being a good thing. They left after a couple questions which led me to telling them that they should just ask John for themselves because he's pretty cool with anyone.

I dragged my feet out of the library and walked mindlessly at the corridors. I was basically lost in the crowd of students heading towards the cafeteria or going to their next class. I was trying to decide whether I should go to our usual table or sit somewhere else or not even go in.

I finally decided on just going towards the cafeteria but the moment I pushed the door in, I already saw our table and everyone was in their usual seat. But unlike always, they weren't fooling or messing around. They sat in front of each other with John just staring at Daisy. Garrett wasn't there yet, like always since his lunch starts later. But they were all there.

I was about to begin striding towards the table but I decided against it and spun around my heels and walked out of the crowded cafeteria. I went for the eating area outside and I settled at a table alone. I hid my face deep in my hands and sighed.

"What are you doing here?" A familiar voice said from my right. It belonged to someone I rarely see around and only talked to once, but I remember him completely. I turned to him and forced a weak smile, something he returned.

"It's lunch," I shrugged.

"There isn't food on your table and aren't you supposed to be with John or Jared right now?" He asked, his voice low and slow like that night when I met him. "Am I bothering you? Should I go?"

"Eric, stop it with the questions," I chuckled with a smile on my face.

He cringed at the name and looked at me with his nose all scrunched up. "Eric? Really?" I shrugged in response making him smile. "Why aren't you with the band?"

I twisted my mouth, unsure if I actually want to vent to him. "Issues," I answered, cutting it there. I really wasn't up to explain everything to him.

"About?"

"Why are you interested anyway?" I raised my eyebrows at him with a slight smile. This has probably been the best human interaction I've had this day and he's getting very nosy, but I didn't want him to stop. "I'm John's sister."

"Oh, yeah. That's been going around," he nodded looking around us. "Small town, y'know."

"It's only been two periods since other people knew," I said monotonously and glared at him.

"News travels around very very fast," he said, putting an emphasis on the second 'very'. I just agreed with him silently and stared at my hands on the table, not knowing what to say next. "That's the issue? They're mad at you because you kept that detail from them?"

I looked at him carefully and raised an eyebrow. "I have a feeling you already knew of the issue before you even came to me."

"What can I do? I'm close friends with your boyfriend," he shrugged, leaning his head on his hand on the table. "I mean... If he is still your boyfriend?"

My mouth fell slightly agape but I pressed my lips together and composed myself. My biggest regret was not telling Garrett. And I didn't needed to be reminded everyday what I just ruined between the two of us. "We never really were officially... Yeah," I replied awkwardly, averting my gaze.

"Bummer," he said, putting his bag down on the table. I guess he was planning on staying here with me and in all honesty, I'm loving his presence right now. We just sat there quietly until somebody occupied another seat from the table. "Oh hey, Jared."

My eyes lit up when I saw him, thinking that I still had hope at being friends with them. One at a time. One friend at a time.

"Look," he said staring right at my eyes. "I know what you did was totally bat shit crazy and you have serious trust issues..." He paused for a moment, making my smile fade. "And I was mad at you until AP Chem. But when the news exploded that you shared the same genetics with John, I understood why you did it."

I sighed and nodded my head slightly, feeling a bit relieved that he understood why I lied.

The corners of his lips tugged upward and he shrugged. "Besides, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't pass the test we had in AP Chemistry. So thank you."

"Oooooh, told you they'll come around," John appeared out of nowhere and sat beside Jared, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

"It's just me, John. You know that Daisy, Garrett, and Pat are still a little uneasy about all of this," Jared stated, making the lanky boy frown. "Anyway, I came here because I want to hang out with you more."

"What about the others?" I asked softly.

"I think the four of them could manage to get through lunch without me and Jared," John answered, nodding his head slightly. He began embarrassing me by telling Jared and Halvo about him forgetting to give me water. He couldn't even finish his story because he couldn't stop laughing, making Jared and Halvo stare at him in a weird way.

"You're the worst brother ever, man," Halvo said, staring at John blankly. "No wonder she pretended that she wasn't related to you."

I laughed at what Halvo said and John frowned at him, making him shrug. I'm glad that the day is halfway over and I managed to not eat lunch alone this day. I'm preparing myself for the next subjects though and the next days, because I know that John, Jared, and Eric won't always be there to hang out with me. This was probably just a one time thing.

Jared and John volunteered to go get us food and Halvo stayed with me, trying to make me cheer up a little bit more.

"How about me?" Halvo said, pointing at himself with a grin.

"What about you?"

"Replacement for Garrett," he wiggled his eyebrows at me. "I play bass too, you know. And I'm just really waiting for graduation so we can finally tour around."

I chuckled slightly and leaned my head on my palm. "I think I'm done with band guys for now. I really liked the bass player I was with. I don't think I'm going to get lucky like that again."

"I'm a great bass player too!" Halvo whined, glaring playfully at me. I just shook it off, closed to the idea of dating anyone at the moment. And I wish that I'd really lay off with the guys until I graduate or maybe even after. "You should meet our singer. He's cute."

I wasn't even a little interested with whoever their lead singer was and I tried showing Halvo I didn't care by looking like I wasn't paying attention to him, but he didn't stop selling his bandmate to me.

"But he's not coming here until next year. I still have to graduate and we still have several things to work on, but you'll love the guy!" Halvo nodded his head, an excited grin on his lips.

Before I could even tell him that I really wasn't interested in his singer, somebody occupied the seat next to me a big grin.

"What are you doing here?" It was the first response that came up in my mind.

He lowered his eyebrows at me and pressed a smile. "What, I can't hang out during lunch with you?"

I rolled my eyes at him and shook my head. "Aren't you supposed to be with Daisy, Pat, and Garrett?"

"Aren't you, Jared, and John supposed to be with us?" Kennedy returned the question, a smirk gracing his features.

"Does it look like I'm welcome to have lunch with the six of you?"

Kennedy sighed at our exchange of questions and just looked at me blankly. At the same time, Jared and John came back with two trays full of food. John put the tray he was holding down and sat beside Halvo, looking at Kennedy curiously.

"You left Daisy, Garrett, and Pat?" John asked.

"Garrett left as soon as he got there. Daisy and Pat went after him to make sure he was alright," Kennedy explained, shrugging his plaid-clad shoulders. "And I thought she might need company too," he nudged over at me. "After what happened at second period..."

"Yeah, dude," Jared nodded at Kennedy then turned to John. "Everybody went nuts when they found out March was an O'Callaghan. I could hear Kat, 3 counters away trying to get answers from Kean."

John pressed his lips in a straight line and gave an unamused look at the red head. It was obvious that he wasn't even a little happy about the news, but he tried hiding his annoyance but I could feel it radiating from him. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to be blamed for the things that are happening to me or at least, he doesn't want to hear anyone make it seem like it's his fault.

I forced a smile and took one of the plate of fries. "It's not that bad," I said, casually taking a few pieces and munching on it. "I don't think I've caught that much attention."

Halvo scoffed and shook his head. "March, babe, I'm not in any of your classes and the news got to me during second period." He took one of the cups from the tray and took a sip.

"It's cool," I shrugged nonchalantly, trying to make the whole situation sound like it wasn't a big deal. I didn't want any added weight on John's shoulders. "It's nothing."

"I'm uh-" John scratched the back of his neck and stood up from his seat. "I'm gonna get to my next class. Hit me up when you're ready to leave school, okay?" He said, pressing a smile to me then walking away from the table. He hadn't even eaten anything that he and Jared bought us.

I stuck around for a little bit longer before standing up to get to Trigonometry, leaving the three of them to finish up with the food. I felt someone brush by me though and stop to my right, walking the same pace with me.

I sighed quietly and rolled my eyes."It's a total dick move what you did," I took a quick glance at him before hugging my Trigonometry book close to my body. I looked at him again when he didn't say anything. He was looking at me with furrowed eyebrows and confusion written all over his face. "Why would you leave Daisy? You know John likes her too. Why don't you try and find a way you can get to her first?"

He stared at me for a long time like he had no idea what I was talking about before snapping out of it when a locker door almost hits his face. He blinked several times before turning to me again with a questioning look. "Aren't you supposed to be rooting for John for Daisy? He is your brother."

I jut my chin out and shrugged. "Obviously, him and Daisy aren't getting together soon due John's lack of brain function. He's not going to stop flirting with other girls so why don't you take a chance?"

"Why do you keep telling me to chase the girl even if I told you a hundred times that I don't want to go after her anymore?" He asked, letting out a chuckle after.

"Because I want to see you happy, okay? I want to see you happy with the girl you want. And that's not happening if you're with the girl she hates right now for being a big liar," I said, widening my eyes at him. I would rather have him be with the girl he likes than with me, in all honesty, because I think he deserves the happiness.

He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, refusing to look at me again. "Daisy can take care of herself. I'm here with you because your close friends aren't really sure with what they feel about you and because I know that those girls over there want to talk to you because of your brother and I know you don't want to deal with them."

"Yeah. Not hanging out with another band dude that happens to be in the same band with my brother whom the whole school loves is protecting me," I narrowed my eyes at him and pouted my lips.

"Just looking out for you," he shrugged with a crooked smile.

We were in front of my classroom when Daisy was in front of us, staring at Kennedy. She rolled her eyes at him and looked at me blankly before brushing past me and into the room. I took a long exasperated sigh before looking up at the tall hazel-eyed that was smiling weakly at me.

He ruffled my hair and with a small grin, he started walking back. "I'm going to head to class. Take care of yourself, O'Callaghan."

I bit my tongue and held my breath, walking inside the room and occupying the seat at the back but farthest from Daisy. I noticed that she looked at me sitting on a different seat and I actually thought that maybe she didn't want me to switch seats, but she didn't say anything, much to my dismay. I don't blame her for not really caring. Everything's my fault anyway.

The second bell rung and it meant that anyone that walks through that door was already late. And I was getting a little scared because despite all of the people asking and talking to me about John, nobody took the seat to my left.

I knew there was only one person who wasn't there.

When he walked through the door, our teacher glared at him from the board and crossed his arms at him. "Tardy, Mr. Nickelsen."

He looked at our teacher blankly and just stood there, blinking his eyes at him. It was like they were having the staring contest and I was sure that if Garrett didn't give it up and looked away first, he'd get a one way ticket to the principal's office. He just tore his gaze away and sighed. "First and last time being late, Sir."

"Good," our teacher said, turning back to the board and writing a few equations. He turned back and pointed at the rest of the class, glancing at Garrett for a second. "Go and sit down."

I held my breath again and shut my eyes tight because I didn't want to sit next to him for the whole period. Not when I know he hates me. Not when I know I've done one of the biggest mistakes I've made to him and to the rest of the band. I exhaled and opened my eyes but I just kept staring outside the window, not wanting to see him when he sits right next to me.

"Mother fucker."

I'm sure he hadn't intended it to be loud enough for the whole class to hear. Maybe he wanted to curse it to himself or maybe he wanted to make sure that I heard it just fine, but can you just imagine the whole class and our teacher automatically turning back at him for cursing? His eyes were on me and then on the seat next to me and all I can do is just shake my head and hold my head down. He just plopped down on the seat next to me and put his bag on the floor, putting his hand to his head.

I could see our teacher roll his eyes from the back where I was sitting and the rest of the class just move and look away from him, minding their own business. I just pressed my lips together and turned to my right, staring outside the window. Good thing I studied about the topic we discussed today last night because I knew that if I hadn't, I would be lost when I was called to answer a problem on the board.

I wasn't paying attention to anything anymore and started on the problem, tuning out everyone around me. When I got stuck in one part of the equation, that's when I noticed that Garrett was beside me, trying to solve one of the problems on his own. I was wishing that he'd get it immediately because I know he has had some trouble with Trigonometry and him not listening for the past hour didn't help one bit.

I tried to find the teacher discreetly around the room and saw him going around the class and consulting with some blond guy at the back. I stepped back and peeked at Garrett's problem and upon seeing that he hasn't made much progress, I tried calculating it on my mind.

I bit my lip and looked over my shoulder again just to make sure our teacher wasn't looking. I contemplated on helping him, because what if he just gets mad again and make a scene in front of the whole class. That was the last thing I wanted to happen right now. But I couldn't leave him hanging too.

I sighed and licked my lips, ultimately deciding to help. "Cotangent times tangent is one. Rearrange the left side and you'll be left with one times one. One equals one," I whispered, glancing at him quickly and finishing my own problem. He stayed stationary on his spot and I can't hear the chalk rubbing against the blackboard. He hasn't continued on his problem yet.

I put the chalk down when I finished answering mine, looking over to Garrett who looked at me for a second. I looked away when I heard our teacher's voice boom in the room. "I hope you know that we don't have all day, Mr. Nickelsen," our teacher walked to the front of the board, crossing his arms at the expressionless student beside me. "You can't answer? Does anyone else want to answer?" He turned to the rest of the class, looking for volunteers to answer the problem.

But as soon as we heard the chalk squeaking against the board, we all watched Garrett finish the equation. He clapped his hands and glared at our teacher before returning to his seat.

This. This was the boy I met on the first day here.

If he wasn't looking at you like he didn't give a fuck, he was glaring and melting holes on your head. I was hoping this was a one time thing. I knew it wasn't.

After our dumbfounded teacher checked our solutions, the bell rang and students poured out of the room, not even stopping to look at our teacher because they wanted to get out as soon as they can without being given homework. Daisy was waiting outside and we were the last ones to get out of the room just because we were at the farthest back.

She looked at Garrett the moment he stepped foot out of our room and gave him a tight but sincere smile, but all she earned was one brief stare before he left and walked away to our next class. Which was probably baking. She sighed and glared at me for a second before following his trail, since her room was next to the food's lab.

And as I dragged my feet to the food's lab, I realized that I just put Garrett in the position that he was before he met me. I was the person that turned him into the walking scowl again.

***

Baking class was a breeze, mostly because I didn't do anything but help Halvo with his pastries. When I arrived at the lab, Garrett was sitting on my spot next to Pat. Halvo used to be Garrett's partner, so I approached him and he offered me a small smile when I settled next to him.

When class was over, I tried walking over to Garrett just to try and talk to him because for a second, I thought I was going to be able to explain myself even if it was just for a minute or less. But I was more than wrong. He brisk-walked out of the school, straight to the parking lot and to his car, not even bothering to turn when I tried calling for him.

I sprinted to his car before he could go inside and held the door. He couldn't slam it shut, even if I think he's tempted to do it, and settled for glowering at me.

"If you think I'm going to talk to you because you helped with Math, you're out of your mind," he spat the words out and was about to get in the car again but I opened the door wider, making him step out and cross his arms.

I bit my lip and looked for the proper words to say. "I'm not expecting you to forgive me because I helped you the Trigonometry problem. But Garrett, please here me out-"

"We're done," he cut me off without waiting for me to finish.

"I don't get to explain?" I said quickly, making him pause for a moment. His eyes flickered up at me and he hopped out of the car, slamming the door shut. I pressed my mouth shut and I avoided his gaze, knowing that I must've hit something in him that made him get out of his car and stick around for a bit more. I'm pretty sure it's not because I said something right.

"I don't know what your reason is, March," Garrett said, shaking his head. "Because right from your first day, we weren't going to use you to get to John, obviously. If anything, I'd actually want some time away from the dude because I hang out with the same 5 people every fucking day. You just don't think we're the type of people you could trust," he shrugged, staring at March like he could see past her.

When I didn't say anything for about several seconds, he just let out a bitter laugh and opened the door to his car again. This time, he drove away and I didn't want to talk to him anymore. He was right.

I tried pushing the pain tingling in my throat and the tears forming in my eyes away just long enough for me to get home. I turned around and made a bee line to John's car but somebody blocked my way, offering me a small smile. Baby steps. One by one.

"Give it time," Pat shoved his hands inside his pockets and scrunched his face. "It'll be alright in a day or two."

I just forced a smile when he pulled me in for a hug, something I really needed.

But I knew he was lying though. This wasn't something that could be solved in a day or two.

I basically ruined it forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you don't know what song the chapter title is from it's Flicker, Fade by Taking Back Sunday!!! I just wanted to share it because I really liked the song so much.

I'm not too happy about this chapter. College is sucking out the creativity in me. Everyone is more than welcome to predict, suggest, and comment on the story. I need it very much.

Thank you,
princewentz (YOU MET THEM FOR THE SECOND TIME!? That's awesome!!! I'm happy to hear that.)
musicdoe (I'm sorry for the long wait! I'm really trying to make the chapters interesting so I hope you don't get tired of waiting for updates.)
jvlienne (Thank you so much!!!)
heathyxmisery (Jared didn't. And Pat's getting cool with it. We'll just see what Garrett or Daisy thinks about it.)
Crazy and Impulsive (Hi again! Thanks for everything!)