Status: HIATUS

You Found Me

Tonight we lie awake

I was at the school parking lot and it's currently eight in the evening. I just got out of the library and I had no idea where I was going to go since John had Daisy over. Yes, I'm going to continue with the plan to now let anyone know that me and John were related. I'm just thankful that our mother hasn't had the time to put up our pictures yet on the walls.

I stood there awkwardly trying to think of a place to go to. This was the downside to riding with John every morning. I was very much lost after classes. I made a mental note to drive myself to school the next week so that I wouldn't have to sneak around to get inside the school and so that I could drive myself home.

I was about to start walking to any coffee shop I can find when the same yellow-colored car that I saw when I got here pull up by my side. I guess that was my first encounter with Garrett.

"Are you going anywhere?" He rolled the windows down and pressed a smile. "Because it's going to get dark soon. I can drive you home."

I thought of any excuse to say but I just shook my head and returned the smile. "I can't go home. I-uh, had a fight with my parents," I lied.

He stared at the road for a moment and turned back to me. "Well, Friday was date night and I was supposed to go to Kenny's to meet Jared and Pat there. Do you want to hang with us?"

I shook my head and turned his offer down gracefully. "I don't feel like being around a lot of people right now." And it was the truth. I wanted to be somewhere where I could just sit down and be quiet or talk to just one person. I wished it could've been Daisy, but she's currently at my house with John just like a last week. I got lucky and I got to hang out with Kean that night. This night though, he was out of his house and he was plans with his other friends.

"Do you feel like being around one person?" He smiled again. "I don't mind just driving around all night. Come on, March. I can't leave you alone here."

I looked around and stared at him. He kept smiling there and it made me wonder if he would go if I made him wait for another fifteen minutes. After a few moments, I couldn't think of any place else to go to which resulted me into sighing and opening the door to Garrett's car and slipping inside.

"What time are you supposed to be back at your house?" He asked as the window on my side went up and he started driving. I didn't reply and just stared outside of the window, my head leaning on my hand. "Let me rephrase. What time do you want to get back to your house?"

"I don't know, Garrett. I don't know where to go, I don't know when I want to go home, I don't know who I should be with," I stammered, shaking my head slightly. I felt so lost around here and I desperately wanted to just go home but I knew I couldn't. John tells me that I'm exaggerating, but he had no idea what went down when he left. I had no friends anymore and me studying was the only thing standing in the way of me and depression.

And now I'm here in Arizona and nobody knows who I really am because I don't want to be used by people again. Not anymore. But it's hard. Everything about it is hard.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He said, glancing at me for a moment and looking back at the road. "You've only known me for barely a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure after I bitched out to you, I'm pretty much down there on the list of people that you'd trust."

"No. I don't know," I sighed and looked at him even though he wouldn't look back because he was concentrated on the road. "God, I have no idea what I'm supposed to fucking do anymore. Have you had days when you just want to throw yourself off of a building or on the middle of the road?"

His eyes widened and he let out a soft chuckle. "March, if you agreed to my company for tonight to have a witness for your suicide, I'm so not going to watch you get hit by a truck," he laughed.

I sunk in my seat with a smile creeping on my lips. "How about you just tell me about Kat," I said instead.

I noticed how his small smile turned into a grin. This girl had hurt this boy but it was obvious that he really liked her. "I met her last year and I really thought she was into me."

"Was she not?" I asked, my brows furrowing in confusion. "She looked like she was into you very much when I first saw you two together."

"You mean the public display of affection she wants us to do to show off his boyfriend that's in a band?" He scoffed. "Yeah. She was so much into me," he said with a sarcastic tone. "That's why I vowed that until I finish high school, I don't think I'm going to look for anyone. It's two more years, but I think I can deal with that. The band's still small anyway. We aren't even official yet."

"How sure are you that you can keep your single streak until you finish high school?" I teased, a grinning at him. "Band guy? You'd have tons of girls chasing after you. How are you sure that you aren't going to find that girl that'll make you happy and stay with you?"

"Yeah I remember someone saying that 'there are plenty of fishes in the sea'," he said, turning to me and laughed. "You never did answer my question. Are you one of the fishes?"

"I'm not taken," I simply shrugged, trying to hide that smile. I was also hoping that he wouldn't notice that my cheeks were burning.

"So you're open with the possibility of dating me?" He asked, a sheepish smile on his face.

"Don't make assumptions! I just said I'm single so technically, yeah. I'm one of the fishes. I'm available," I nodded.

"So you're open with the possibility of dating me?" He repeated, with the same smile on his face.

"If I said yes, would you shut up?" I said trying to sound annoyed, but I couldn't do it. Not with a giggle escaping my mouth.

"I'll think about that," he nodded. "About dating you."

I just shook my head and sunk back into my seat. I was. I was open with the possibility of dating him. If I weren't so incredibly awkward and if my self-esteem would miraculously boost up, I think I'd flirt with him. Maybe I'd flirt with Kennedy the first day I met him. Or Jared and take advantage of us being lab partners. Anything was possible, really. Especially with the copper haired guy beside me. I wouldn't admit it now, but I really thought he looked good.

I was about to reply but I felt my phone vibrate. It was from John.

Daisy's staying over.

I rolled my eyes and threw my phone on the dash. It wasn't fair in any way. I wanted to go home even if John had friends over. I wanted them to see me and they wouldn't wonder why I'd be there because that's where I live too. It was way more complicated than that.

He must've noticed my anger because he looked at me and slowed the car down."Still don't want to go home?" He asked quietly, stopping on the side of the road.

"Yeah. If you're getting tired, you can drop me off at the nearest fast food chain or coffee shop. I'll find a place to hang out it," I said, shooting him a forced smile.

"Have you not been beside me the whole time?" He narrowed his eyes at me. "October, I said that I wouldn't mind driving all night. It's what I do when I want to be alone. I'm not going to make you elaborate on your problems, March. But you were there when I couldn't talk to anyone around me. I'm just here."

I didn't answer and just grinned at him. He started driving again and turned the stereo on but kept the volume minimal. I could hear the faint sound of John Mayer and I kept to myself while he kept driving. We talked about a few things, nothing reaching the personal stuff anymore. Just things about around here and how the band started. I didn't give him anything about my past, and I'm glad he didn't try to ask.

Somewhere along the ride, our hands had tangled together and he was left to drive with just his left hand. It seemed like a casual move and it didn't even bother the both of us. It stayed like that and it was silent as he drove around. It felt comfortable and at the moment, I had no idea whether I should be happy that Garrett was here for me or scared that what if I develop feelings for him? I tried not to think about the latter very much. Maybe this was a one night thing. I can't get attached just because this happened.

I looked at the time above his stereo and it said '11:42' in glowing red lines. It was getting late and I could already feel the drowsiness taking over. We had stopped talking and he rolled the windows up moments ago. The music filled the air around us but he still hadn't let go of my hand and I wasn't planning on letting go first.

I could already feel the drowsiness and my eyelids getting heavier by the minute. I haven't even noticed, but I fell asleep on the front seat of Garrett's car while he was driving.

And his hand was tangled in mine.

***

I woke up and the first thing I noticed was I fell asleep with the same clothes I slept in last night. The next thing I noticed made me shot up to get out of the bed. I wasn't in my own bed.

I noticed the blue bed sheets and the familiar scent on the sheets and the pillows. It was someone's perfume. It obviously wasn't mine because I was sure that it belonged to a guy. I just couldn't pin point who. The next thing I noticed was the sound of someone moving underneath the bed. I looked at the carpeted floor beside the bed and saw Garrett lying, a pillow between his arms.

"Garrett," I said, my voice sounding a little husky like it always does during the first few moments after I wake. "Garrett..." I repeated when he still hadn't gotten up.

"Yes, love?" He mumbled, a smile gracing his features.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head slightly. "Garrett, wake up!"

His eyes immediately opened and he sat up quickly, looking around the room.

"Jesus Christ, you scared the living shit out of me," he breathed out, his hand touching his chest.

"Really, love?" I mocked him, chuckling a bit. "I didn't go home?"

"No you didn't," he shook his head and stood up, throwing the pillow he had on the bed. "You fell asleep and well, I didn't want to wake you up and I had no idea where you lived so I brought you back here." He must've seen me scanning his room for my phone because he nudged at the study table at the end of the bed. "Your phone's there."

I grabbed it and unlocked my phone only to see that I've had 20 missed calls and 34 text messages.

I dialled John's number and he picked it up after one ring. "Where the fuck are you?! I've tried calling and texting you a bunch of times and you never-"

"I'm here at Garrett's house. Relax a bit, will you?" I answered, the annoyance in my voice obvious. He agreed to Daisy sleeping over at our house and it was very much inconsiderate of him not to think about me and how I don't want anyone- not even Daisy to find out that I was related with him. It's not like he gave me that much of a choice where to go.

"Relax? Fucking relax, March? I thought you were lost in Arizona. Do you have any fucking idea how big Arizona is? You could've-"
He raised his voice but I cut him off before he could finish.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes and dropped my phone on the bed.

"Family worried sick about you?" Garrett asked, a sleepy smile on his face. He stood up when I nodded as an answer. "Do you want to go home now?" He walked over to his drawer and pulled out a clean shirt and a pair of sweat pants and threw it over to me.

I smiled to thank him and stood up from the bed. "I don't think I have a choice."

"Stay for breakfast?" He offered, a grin on his mouth. "My mom makes the best pancakes."

"I would love to," I nodded. He went out of the room and I took that as a cue to get dressed in the clothing he gave me. I saw my bag lying on the corner of his bed and I grabbed it and shoved my old clothing inside.

I went downstairs and went through the door and I assumed it was the kitchen because I saw a woman cooking on the stove and Garrett sitting on one of the high chairs in front of the island counter. They both turned to me when they heard the door shut and Garrett motioned me to sit beside him while his mom shot me a smile.

"Good morning," I said quietly, slipping in the seat next to Garrett.

"You're March?" She said, handing me a plate that already had a couple of stacked pancakes. "I hope my son didn't give you much trouble last night."

"If anything, he was actually the first best friend I've had in a couple of years," I smiled at her.

"Garrett Daniel Nickelsen, where did you make her sleep?" Her mom turned to him and put her hand on her hips.

"On my bed," he said, putting his hands up in defense. "And I took the floor. Come on, mom. You didn't raise me like an asshole."

"Just making sure," she sighed and turned back to the stove. My phone vibrated from my pocket and I decided to ignore it but when it vibrated more than 3 times, I fished it out of my pocket and looked at the multiple texts.

Get to the gas station near school. I'll pick you up there.

I shoved it back in my pocket, stood up and brought the plates to the sink. I was about to start washing it when Mrs. Nickelsen swatted my hand. "What are you doing? Just leave it there."

"Oh, no. I'll wash it. Besides, my family's already looking for me," I said, insisting that I wash the dishes myself.

"Then just leave it there," she shook her head. "You have a nice day, March."

"You too, Mrs. Nickelsen. It was nice to meet you," I greeted back, going upstairs and grabbing my bag. When I went back down, Garrett was waiting on the end of the stairs.

"I'll drive you home," he said, his car keys dangling from his hand.

"You've done enough for me," I shook my head. "That's enough."

"I want to take you home, March. Just let me be the best friend you've had in a couple of years," he laughed.

"Fine," I muttered, rolling my eyes. "How about you just drop me at the gas station because I'm going to meet my dad there."

"You don't want me to drive you home?" He started walking outside of the house and to his car parked in front of the driveway.

"He texted me and told me to meet him there," I shrugged. I didn't want to lie, especially to him after last night, but I can't say that John was going to pick me up to take me home. I felt bad. Much more when I realized how easy it's been for me to throw lies around now.

We got to the gas station and I saw that John's car still wasn't around. Garrett wanted to stay until my "dad" got there but I insisted that he already leave because I don't remember him finishing his pancakes this morning. He went after a while of convincing and he promised that he would call or text me some other time, resulting into us exchanging numbers. John pulled over a few moments after Garrett left and I slid on the front seat.

"You want to tell me why you didn't bother answering all my calls and texts last night?" He said, running his hands through his hair. "You didn't bother telling me where you were going or where you were at. That's being inconsiderate, March."

I felt the blood boiling inside of me and I turned to him, letting out a bitter laugh. "You want to talk about inconsiderate, John? Inconsiderate is having Daisy stay over when you know that I can't go home because she'll find out that we're siblings. You take the prize for being inconsiderate, John. You had me walking around town, wondering where I was supposed to go until you and Daisy were done with your work. Garrett drove me around just to keep me company and he decided to take me to his house when I said I couldn't go home."

"There you go, making me the bad guy. You're the one that decided to pretend like we weren't related," John said, his eyes not leaving the road. "You could've went home, March. You could just live your life and let everyone know that your last name is O'Callaghan and last night wouldn't have been a problem."

"Being an O'Callaghan is my problem, John," I spat. "You wouldn't know because one, you're everybody's best friend and two, you didn't see how everybody just shrugged me off when you left. The truth is, everyone just wants to hang out with me if you're in the package. John, my grades went up to a point I can't even believe I could make those grades. But you know what caused them? The fact that I stayed home every night and every weekend doing nothing but study. Don't blame me if I don't want to get known as your sister, okay?" I said, leaning my elbow on the door and my face on my hand. Whatever I said shut him up for good and for the rest of the ride.

I stomped myself up to my room and fell on the bed, wanting to just sleep for the rest of the day, if not at least until noon. I didn't want to face John for the rest of the day because I might just cry or I might get too mad and I didn't want to do both.

I woke up around one in the afternoon by the sound of my phone vibrating against the wood of my bedside table. It was a call and it was from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I said groggily, still feeling a little sleepy.

"March! It's Pat. Want to come over at Kennedy's tonight? It's just a little get together,"
he said, his voice sounding cheerful like always.

"I don't think I'm up-" I mumbled, falling back on the bed but still pressing the phone to my ear.

"Please? Jared and Ken really want you to come,"
he said. "Me too. And I'm sure Garrett and John want you there too."

I bit my lip upon hearing that last statement he made. John? I doubt he consulted John about this. I rolled my eyes even though Pat couldn't see me and sighed. "Fine, Pat. Give me the address and I'll just go around eight."

"Cool,"
he mumbled. He gave me the address of Kennedy's house and dropped the phone as he said goodbye.

After a few minutes of lying in bed, I heard knocks on my door and I stood up and opened the door, revealing John fresh from his bath and in different clothing from this morning. I glared at him for a few seconds before attempting to close my door again but he stopped it with one hand before giving me a pleading look. I let the door go and stood up straight and crossed my arms.

"You're going tonight?" He asked quietly.

"How'd you know?" I raised my eyebrow, eyeing him curiously.

He grabbed his phone from his pocket and tapped on it then showed me his conversation with Pat.

I got March to come tonight!!!

"He sent it a minute ago," John shrugged and put his phone back in his pocket. There was silence between us before he sighed and looked at me with sad eyes. "I'll drive us there. You can say that we bumped into each other at the mall or something."

"And risk you leaving me there to go home with another person?" I squinted my eyes at him and shook my head. "No thanks, John."

"I'm not going to leave you there, March." He shook his head and chuckled slightly. "Please? I'm not going to go until you don't say yes."

"Whatever. I'll be down by seven," I rolled my eyes and went back in the room, closing the door. I saw the faint smile that appeared on his face before I slammed it shut.

"Oh and March?" He said, the door muffling the sound of his voice. I stopped for a moment but didn't respond. "Pat, Kennedy, Jared, Garrett, and Daisy treat you like you've been their friend for a long time. I'm just saying."

I heard his footsteps moving away from my room and I just shook my head and fell on the bed.

I had no idea what I was going to do anymore.

I had no idea who I had to be anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Big thank you to heathyxmisery and coastnorth for the comments! :)
Also to those who subscribed and recommended. ;;)
But I need a little help. Maybe suggestions, predictions, or more comments?
It's currently mid-summer so I'm not going to be able to update this more frequently. I still have 1 1/2 months to get things going.