Status: Updated every Friday.

Vita Mortem

Mother Dearest

Sounds of exuberant playing drifted down the stairs to the ears of the mothers, who smiled at each other, happy that their daughters were getting along. Their mutual smile was interrupted by the shrill whistle of the kettle announcing it was ready. One of the mothers, a woman with ebony hair, stood up from her seat and went to prepare the coffee.

“You know, when Ravan and Scarlet first met, I thought they wouldn’t get along at all,” the ebony-haired woman turned back and gave a soft laugh, looking at her friend.

“Considering they’re two opposite forces of Nature, you’d think that they wouldn’t like each other at least,” the other mother, a woman with blonde hair, replied, breathing a sigh of relief. “I’m just glad they do like each other. It makes our lives easier, right Claire?”

Claire merely hummed in response as she made her way back to her friend, holding two cups of coffee. She placed them down on the table, muttering a quiet, “It’s hot Katie, so don’t drink it straight away.”

Apparently Claire’s warning went unheard, as Katie instantly took a sip of the steaming coffee, and let loose a loud yelp as the liquid scalded her tongue. Small footsteps were immediately heard thumping above them, pounding down the stairs and stopping in the lounge. The occupants of said feet stared at the two woman, eyes wide with concern.

Katie saw their shock and rushed to convince and reassure the two young girls that everything was fine, “Sorry girls, I’m fine really,” giving a bright smile to them as they looked at her.

One girl rushed to Katie’s side anyway, the other hanging back to stand by Claire. As the young girl attached herself to Katie in a vice-like grip, Katie spoke gently, “Scar, honey, I’m okay,” then addressed the girl at Claire’s side, “Ravan, take Scar back upstairs so you both can keep playing.”

Ravan grinned, “Okay!” Ravan gave her mother a hug around the waist before grabbing Scarlet’s hand and all but dragging her up the stairs again.

The two women watched them waddle up the stairs and out of sight before resuming their conversation. “I still find it funny that they’re polar opposites of us though!” Katie exclaimed, sipping her coffee more cautiously.

“You’d think that Ravan was your daughter instead of mine, if it wasn’t for the fact that she looks like me,” Claire replied nonchalantly.

“God, I’ve missed this,” Katie sighed, leaning back in her chair as she cradled her cup of coffee.

Claire frowned, “Missed what?”

“Coffee!” Katie exclaimed, “I used to have it all the time, but then that beast cut me off,” she said, pouting. “Said I had enough energy already without coffee.”

Claire laughed, “It’s true though, you do have enough energy as it is.”

“You think he’d be happy with the extra energy I had, he’s a beast in bed. I can barely keep up!”

Claire snorted in laughter, before picking up a tea towel that had been on the table and throwing it at her friend’s head.

The two were in hysterics until the front door rattled.

“Oh no, they’re back! Quick, hide the evidence!” Katie yelled, downing her coffee quickly and placing the cup in the kitchen sink. She sat back down and collapsed in pain as the hot liquid affected her.

Their husbands entered the kitchen to see the two women tidying up. Katie turned to greet her husband with a kiss, sliding her coffee cup out of sight as she did so.

Katie smiled, stepping away from her husband to hang up the tea towel. As she did so, her husband remarked,

“I could taste the coffee on your lips,” he chuckled.

Katie scowled, “Goddamnit!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Jess and I decided since our story has been given a fabulous make-over it needed a new face as well! So with that being said we're taking this story much more seriously and hope you enjoy this drastic improvement on our story -we both agree on this- if you're a new reader, please disregard what I've just said and just enjoy this story! :)

-Jordy