Status: Updated every Friday.

Vita Mortem

Cold Logic.

Three weeks had passed since the beginning of term, the girls settling in to another year of learning magic at Hogwarts. Their lessons had changed however, since they would be sitting their OWLs at the end of the year. The amount of homework was greater, the quality of work expected higher, and the hours of study required were now hard to juggle between all the different subjects.

Ravan let out a groan as she carried her books in her arms, already feeling the strain of the workload. “Why does homework have to exist? We already do hours of class time,” she huffed, walking beside Scarlet as they made their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Scarlet laughed at Ravan’s disgruntled expression, “Make sure we know our work, and that we’re learning what they’re teaching.” Scarlet shifted the books in her arms, “Although, the workload is a little crazy. Even I’m feeling the pressure,” she said, accidentally dropping a book from the precarious stack.

The girls sighed and stopped in their tracks to stare forlornly at the fallen book. This was the third time a book had been dropped during their journey from Transfiguration to Defence Against the Dark Arts, fellow students having to pick the books up as the girls could not themselves.

“Thank you,” Scarlet smiled at Kenneth Towler, before following him into the lesson.

As Scarlet and Ravan situated themselves by Fred, George and Alicia, Professor Lupin strode into the room from his office, coming to a stop in front of a locked cupboard. “Good afternoon class, we’ll be getting straight into that practical that we’ve been discussing today. Get it out of the way so you can finish your assignments on the weekend,” he spoke, earning a collective groan from the class.

“Now now, it’s simply a report on the form the Boggart takes for you, and how the Boggart can turn into such a form. Relatively easy stuff. Yes, Daniel?” Lupin gestured at the student, who had his hand raised.

“Professor, what if you’re not afraid of anything? What form would the Boggart take?” Daniel questioned, other students listening carefully for Lupin’s response.

Ravan scoffed, “If you think you don’t fear anything then you’re a fool. Everyone is afraid of something, even if you don’t realize it,” she pointed out to Daniel. “Scarlet, tell him,” she said, crossing her arms.

“Fear comes from the subconscious, the brain doesn’t make an active decision to fear something. If it was a conscious decision to fear something, then we could turn that fear off whenever we could. Our fears are part of our personality. If you’re saying you don’t have fears, you’re insinuating that you don’t have a personality, which is important to magic itself,” Scarlet stated, crossing her arms and lifting her eyebrow incredulously at Daniel.

Ravan smirked, “And there lies your argument, on the floor, inconsolable in defeat. Scarlet’s logic is unbeatable.”

“Girls,” Lupin began, “while I appreciate the excellent answer to Daniel’s question, you did interrupt the lesson. Next time, put your hand up?” he asked, earning two hasty apologies from the girls.

Lupin glanced at Daniel, “The girls are correct, everyone has a fear. To have no fear is to be a fool, to quote a certain someone. Always be aware of your fears,” he addressed the class, “and your shortcomings. Things like over-estimating your ability can get you killed.”

George whispered to Scarlet, “Are you sure you shouldn’t be in Ravenclaw, because that was some cold logic you gave just then.”

Scarlet’s lip twitched upwards, but said nothing so as to avoid another lecture from Professor Lupin.

“Now,” Lupin gestured to the locked cabinet behind him, “we’ll be starting. This is different to when you encountered a Boggart in your third year. I want you to analyze why the Boggart turned into what it did, and how it affected your ability to push it back. I want to read that in your report that’s due on Monday.”

The class groaned again, seeing their free weekends disappear before them.

“As Ravan and Scarlet gave such a good answer, they will have the honour of facing the Boggart first. Ladies, if you’d like to choose who will be going first,” the professor said.

Ravan chuckled and leaned in towards Scarlet, “This is your chance to be seen by everyone Scarlet, so I’ll let you go first,” murmuring so that no other student could hear.

Scarlet nodded and stood, making her way to the front of the class, Ravan behind her.

“Class, get into a line behind the girls. Daniel, I want you to go after Ravan,” Lupin directed. “Scarlet, are you ready? You know the spell to revert its effects, yes?”

She gave a curt nod, wand out and at the ready.

“Alright,” Lupin uttered, pointing his wand at the lock, “Alohamora!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please excuse the slightly-later-than-normal update, I just got home.
Enjoy! @};-
-Jess.