Status: Updated every Friday.

Vita Mortem

Trouble on the Train.

As the two girls stared in wonder at the frost-covered window, they failed to notice a dark shadow drawing nearer. Ravan walked closer to the door in order to investigate this strange occurrence. Her investigation took the form of drawing in the frost, singing whilst she did so.

“Helga had a hippogriff, hippogriff, hippo-AHHH!” Ravan screamed and launched herself away from the window towards the door of the carriage, startled by the dark shadowing appearing right in front of her behind the window.

“What is it, what’s wrong?” Scarlet yelled, rushing over to help her friend up.

Ravan pointed a shaking finger at the window, “There was something behind the window, something evil.”

Scarlet flinched at that, but shook off her fear to see what Ravan had screamed at. Drawing closer to the window, there was nothing to be seen but Ravan’s drawing.

“Is that meant to be a dragon?” Scarlet asked, turning towards Ravan when she suddenly froze. “Don’t move,” she whispered, keeping her eyes looked above Ravan’s head.

A skeletal hand emerged from the shadow and grasped Ravan’s shoulder. Ravan stiffened and gasped,

“That’s your hand, right Scar? Now is not the time for pranks!”

“I am standing right here Rae, how can it be my hand?” she screamed, not taking her eyes off the hooded creature that she recognized as a Dementor.

The creature moved its head closer to Ravan’s as if to kiss it, then paused in its actions as if to deliberate. A silent moment passed, which Ravan used to break out of the Dementor’s grip and rush over to Scarlet.

Her eyes darkened slightly as she yelled, “Don’t come any closer.”

Scarlet watched as her friend yelled at a Dementor through half-lidded eyes. “Rae, what’s it doing?” she whispered as the Dementor came no further.

Ravan said nothing, only maintaining her stance in front of Scarlet. As the stare-down continued, all was silent in the train carriage, until Scarlet moved backwards to get as much distance between her and the Dementor as possible. Her energy felt like it was wasting away, exhaustion taking over the longer the Dementor stood near to her. Her footfall echoed in the cavernous silence, snapping the Dementor out of its trance and causing it to swoop towards the two girls.

Ravan did not move, standing her ground as the Dementor came within centimetres of her face. The close proximity caused Scarlet to black out and hit the ground unconscious. The last thing Scarlet saw was a wicked grin pass across Ravan’s face, before she lost herself in the all-encompassing darkness.

Image

Scarlet’s eyes snapped open to see three blurry figures standing over her.

“Rise and shine Sleeping Beauty!” Ravan squealed, excited to see her friend had awoken.

Scarlet groaned and covered her ears with her hands, shielding herself from the unpleasantly high-pitched squeal. “What is going on?”

Behind them, Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet looked at each other. Katie murmured, “What’s a Sleeping Beauty? Some kind of potion?”

Scarlet slowly sat up, rubbing her head and staring at Ravan, “Tell me what just happened,” she demanded in a tone that brooked no argument.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, look at that, a new chapter!
We had to cut some off of this one, so we have a head-start on the next chapter.
Thank you for reading!