The Aftermath of a Misunderstood Girl

Chapter 2

Lexie’s P.O.V.

My feet dragged me into the school at a pace slower than a turtle. I took in shaky breaths as I sat next to my friends. Each with a blank expressions. We were silent until the bell for homeroom rang. A few of us startled, we walked into the room with our stuff. I sat in my seat, opened my book, and pretended to read through my book. The announcements came on and i only half listened until I heard Angel’s name said. “Anyone who desires to be at the funeral for her may attend”. I looked from Jenny, to Harper, to Alice. All had nearly the same look. Hope.

_____________

Dressed in a black dress with my jacket, I stood next to Alice, Harper, Jenny, Arisianna, and Scarlett. We stayed in a group too afraid to make any contact with Angel’s former family. A girl of about my height strode over to us, a boy her same size, but much skinnier following. This must have been Caren and her boyfriend Blake. She told us to merely follow her. We did as told and followed her to the pews. Sitting side by side we filled an entire pew. A montone song from somewhere above drawled on. People whispered and cried and stared at us in fascination. Their eyes mocking us almost saying “How could those people be her only friends?”. Our heads all turned as the doors of the church opened. I drew in a shaky breath seeing six men carrying in a black and silver casket. Tears threatened to spill over as the set it in it’s proper place. White and red roses surrounding the stage it looked almost like a movie. Unreal. Like if i reached out i would be touching my TV screen. An older man walked to the altar and opened the bible laying it out in front of him. And the service began.

__________

We all were silent during the drive to the cemetery. A few coughs, sniffles, or sighs were the only signs that we weren’t mannequins. We came to a parking space and silently stepped out. The gravel crunched under our feet as we followed everyone in. The miles of cemetery were quite literally gray. The grass dead and white. The sky covered in clouds. Trees bare and black. Black and white headstones dotting the land. I peeked above people’s heads looking for anyone that looked familiar. I saw no one out of the ordinary really, then I saw three figures walking up the gravel drive out of place. The tallest and oldest looking was pale and with brown flippy hair. The other two looked as if they could be brothers aside from one’s blonde and purple hair. Both short and wore glasses. They definitely looked like the people we hung around with. Alice saw my stare and looked in their direction. “I’m gonna go see who they are…” she said softly then walked off. “Alice wait..” i said following. She stopped and looked back at me. “Wait for me” i finished. I caught up with her and we strode to the three boys.

Alice’s P.O.V.

Lexie and I approached the three boys slowly and quietly. The oldest one looked at us. “Is this the funeral for Angel Smith?” he asked. We both gave a slight nod and he sighed. “I’m Kevin. Angel’s probably talked to you about me with the nickname-” “Kexin” I finished for him. He nodded. “Yeah that’s me. This is Blaze” he said pointing to the blonde. “And Asher” he said pointing to the other. There was an awkward silence between the 5 of us for a few minutes before someone talked again. “So you’re Angel’s friends?” Blaze asked almost in a whisper. Lexie and I nodded. “The rest of us are at the burial .Come join if you’d like…..” I said turning and walking off. They reluctantly followed me and Lexie, and just in time too. They had started lowering the coffin. Tears started rolling down my cheeks again. I looked over at the, they too were trying not to have a full blown breakdown in front of Angel’s entire family and her friends. I heard something that someone should NEVER hear at a funeral. Snickering, laughing. Immediately, our heads all shot up at once and spotted Angel’s main bully; Hannah. Rage filled me and I could almost see the rest of us turning blood red at her presence. My head snapped up as I heard an almost unhumanly growl come from next to me. It had came from Lexie’s chest. Biting her lip so hard I was sure she’d start bleeding. No one made the move to stop Hannah’s joy, so Lexie took action. “What the hell! You really have the nerve to show up here after the drama and pain you caused her!?” she screamed. Heads turned and mumbling ruptured through the crowd. “The funeral is open to anyone who wanted to attend” Hannah smirked. I gasped as Lexie raised her hand slapped Hannah. The sound was like a 5 pound math book hitting tiles. She suddenly snatched a handful of Hannah’s long hair and yanked. “Get out of here! Now!” she yelled throwing her into the mud. Hannah recoiled from the sudden attack and stood running away. No one made a move to go get Lexie, so i did. I gently took her arm and pulled her back to her place. She was crying again and I didn’t blame her.

Lexie’s P.O.V.

I looked at the red tint on my hand from slapping Hannah. I liked it, but now my hand hurt. We were at the repast in Angel’s mother’s home. All of us, including the boys, were in Angel’s room looking around. We all desperately tried to avoid the dark stains in the carpet, but in her small room it was near impossible. We stripped the walls of her drawings, each of us trying to get at least something she had touched. I heard something, it was soft, but distinct. Humming. The song was familiar. Angel sang it many times. It was Scarlett. “Scarlett what are you humming?” I asked her. She said “You Are The Heart by Blood on the Dance Floor”. I only nodded and looked down at the drawings I had grabbed. A dragon Angel had drawn, a girl in a vending machine from an Asking Alexandria video, and a fallen angel…...Just like her. Suddenly more humming came, but with a deeper voice. It was Asher. Deja Vu by Blood on the Dance Floor. Then came Incomplete and All Alone. Then Worlds Away. All by the same band. They each hummed the songs out, in harmony with each other.
Doing something I didn’t expect myself to do, I sang. A song I found surfing YouTube. Dark Enough by Amanda Lopiccolo. I opened my lips, murmuring the words at first, then singing. “There is a girl in the front of my class, who I swear I’ve never seen do anything but laugh. She’s tall and she’s smart, beautiful and strong. And when someone’s down she tries to fix what is wrong”. Getting to the end I was almost screaming it. “There was a girl in the front of my class who yesterday took the breath that was her last! She wrote a few ets ‘I’m sorry I didn’t stay, but my mind was messed up, you couldn’t save me anyway……” By the end i was gasping for breath, trying to keep myself from crying again. Kexin silently walked out of the room and to the kitchen. Blaze and Asher followed him like a pair of ducklings. Angel would have smiled at the simile. If she had just told one of us she’d be smiling a lot right now…..we all would be.