Who Knew the Dead Could Walk

When life was normal

Sometimes I wonder if all this is ever going to come to an end or if I’ll just die in this whole mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pulled over in the Grimes parking lot. I was babysitting carl today, but I arrived a little early because Lori asked me if I could drive him to his soccer practice. I walked to the front porch and knocked.

“Hi Alison, how are you?” Lori greeted me.

“I’m good how about you?”

“I’m just fine, come in.”

I stepped inside and gave Rick a quick smile before turning my attention to Carl.

“Hi buddy!” I said giving him a hug. He smiled and I said:

“I haven’t seen you in so long I swear you’ve grown half a foot”

“I missed you, my other babysitter wasn’t as cool as you, I want you to be my babysitter forever!”

“Awn, I missed you too, I’m so sorry I was away for college, but I’m here for the summer”

“Yah, and it’s gonna be awesome!”

“So, are you ready to go?”

“yes”

We said bye to Rick and Lori and got in the car.

“So how was your school year?”

“It was good, and how was college for you?”

“Good, I guess…”

“What?”

“Nothing it’s just… I realise that you’re not the only one who grows up fast, I just finished my first year of college and yet I feel like I just finished my freshman year of high school.”

I changed the subject, feeling a bit uncomfortable talking about my personal life with a kid.

“Do you wanna go get some ice cream after your practice?”

“YES, YES, YES!!!”Carl said, all excited.

“Alright, alright” I laughed.

We arrived at the soccer field and got out of the car. When I was getting Carl's soccer equipment out of the car, I saw a weird loking guy stumbling through the forest near the field, he was probably high or drunk or something, so I just let it roll off my back. I sat on a bench and watched Carl practice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to anyone who reads my story, it means a lot to me <3