Status: Temperance

Holding Back

2/2

One date had led to two, and then Lacey and Juice weren’t just dating. They had been official for three months. She had met his friends. She couldn’t describe how she felt when she was with Juan. She was trying to keep herself guarded, fearing the worst. She held herself back, restraining the feelings that she had. There was that nagging feeling that told her to hold back as much as she could.

She sat next to him on the couch in her house. Juice had come over in the morning with something up his sleeve. The motorcycle parked in the front of the small house was the only indication of anyone home. His arm snaked across her shoulders, letting her feel the weight of it.

She subconsciously leaned into his side as the robbers in the movie sped off from the bank. She couldn’t remember the name of the movie, and she wasn’t sure if she cared. Lacey hadn’t really been paying attention to the movie. Thoughts of why he showed up at her doorstep flowed in and out of her mind like waves on the beach.

Juice smiled to himself. He enjoyed having her curled into his side like this. He wanted to tell her that he would want to be in the bed, but he wasn’t sure if she was ready for that. It had taken four dates for her to start going places with him with no one else around. Juan could understand why, but it was hard for him to slow his pace down for the girl. He didn’t know if he loved her yet, but he definitely liked her more than any girl he has ever met before.

They tried to pay attention to the movie until the credits came on. By that point, Lacey had untangled herself from Juice and was heading towards the kitchen. Juice watched the sway of her hips and licked his lips. He loved the way her body looked as it moved. It was like she was trying to seduce him without trying. The guys had been asking if they had done it yet, and he wouldn’t answer them. Because they haven’t as much as he wanted to. He had to know when to cross some invisible line, or he would be sent back to the start. He had to hold himself back from what his body wanted him to do.

Lacey was still surprised that the outlaw was still interested in her. She knew that she was being difficult, but she couldn’t help when the fear came up in a situation. It would have been easier for him if he had stayed away from her, but he was sitting on her couch with a look of desire. It scared her a bit because the last time she saw that look was when she was raped. She kept telling herself that Juice wouldn’t do that, but she thought the same thing about her ex who had done that.

Juice could tell something was frightening her, causing him to make his way to her. His face wasn’t filled with lust but with worry now. He stood in front of her with his hands on her waist. “What’s wrong, Lace?” he asked, looking at her with worry.

She sighed and leaned into him. “It’s nothing,” she whispered into his chest.

“You’re lying. Something had you scared. I don’t like it. What were you thinking about?” Juice knew what it was, but he wanted to hear her say it. He wasn’t blaming her. He just wanted her to get over it.

“I was thinking about what happened,” she cried. Tears were forming in her eyes. “I’m sorry, okay? There’s always something lurking around that reminds me what happened, and I just freak out.”

Juice immediately regretted asking something that he already knew the answer to. He grabbed her face and wiped away the tears that escaped her green eyes with his thumbs. “It’s alright. I’m the one that’s sorry.”

Lacey looked at him, awed that he hadn’t told her he’s done with her. She was even more shocked when he planted his lips on hers. His lips were firm against hers, and it took her a second to respond. She kissed him back, matching the passion that he was using. They didn’t move apart; they just kissed each other like they needed the others’ lips to survive. Somehow their tongues were tangled together, and Lacey was sitting on the kitchen cabinet.

Juan liked standing in between her legs even though they were both fully clothed. He pulled away from her when he was being deprived of oxygen. He stood where he was, gasping for air, as she did the same. He wanted to take it further than that, but he was determined to hold himself back. He needed to take this slow for her. He was going to keep her at his side. There was no way that he was going to leave her.

He smiled at her, before giving her another small kiss. Eventually, Lacey climbed off the cabinet and began to cook. Lacey felt different. She wanted to tell the man she just kissed what she was starting to feel, but she didn’t know where to begin.

“Juan, I think I’m falling in love with you,” she told him as she turned the vegetables. She couldn’t look at him, and she couldn’t restrain her emotions like she thought she could.

There was silence for a second as Juice took in what she had said. Then he wrapped his arms around her. He couldn’t think when he was that happy. He held her tight into his chest with a huge smile planted on his face. The both of them couldn’t hold back what they truly felt.