Picture This

Doi

The plane ride home felt longer than the ride there. It was less than 24 hours since I had met him and I felt like I was leaving something behind in San Diego and I couldn’t understand why. I couldn’t put into words what happened that day because I was utterly unsure. I don’t know if I made a fool of myself or if he actually liked me. It’s really hard to fathom the idea that someone in his world could even see himself with someone in my world. A world where I live in a one bedroom apartment in New York City and I scrounge up just enough money to pay my rent, my bills and my groceries. He has money to burn and everybody’s eyes are on him, he’s got a life many dream about. I’m a struggling photographer who has no idea where her life is going. I don’t think that’s anyone’s dream.

When I landed in New York, I felt a sense of home again, relief. It was nice to be back to familiarity. I threw my bag over my shoulder and headed out of the airport, grabbing a cab before someone else. I gave him my address and sat back as I watched out the window while he weaved through the city traffic.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I saw a text from my sister, Amy. She was excited for the huge opportunity I received and was curious to know how it went.

I landed safely, thanks for asking I answered her sarcastically.

A few minutes later, Oh shush, you know I want to hear all the details

I’ll give you a call when I get in the door

Just as I sent the text, we had arrived and more relief flooded over me as I handed him the cash. I told him to keep the change and he wished me well as I stepped out of the cab. I reached for my key and greeted a couple from across the hall as they left the building. They held the door open and I climbed the stairs to my third floor apartment.

It was nice to be home, but I wished I hadn’t left so quickly, leaving the apartment in a mess. There were dishes still in the sink, clothing outside and trailing into my bedroom, papers strewn all over my desk and coffee table from when I was looking for my passport and a mess of footwear next to the door. I had no desire or energy to even attempt anything, so I dropped my bags and pulled out my laptop immediately. I knew it would happen, so I took the liberty of looking up more about him.

He’s an actor, I’m sure the majority of his personal and acting life is on the internet, unfortunately for him.

I found out the basics, he was from Romania, lived in New York the majority of his teenage and adult years and, as I already knew, he still resided in the city. I looked through his filmography and decided it was time to watch him in action. I didn’t know if it was a good idea, but I went with my first instinct. My first choice was Captain America and then I went to some of his television appearances, in Political Animals and Kings. I was up until 3am before I realized what I had gotten through and came to a conclusion. He was talented, extremely talented and he was finally starting to break out into some major roles, which will put him in more of the spotlight than ever. I also came to the deduction that knowing him for maybe three to four hours, and watching a chunk of his performances, I liked the thought of him. I just wanted to be around him, to know more about him.

I don’t know how I’m supposed to live my life not knowing if he even remembers me when I don’t think I’ll forget him.

I woke up at 10:30 and noticed my phone had died. I quickly plugged it into the wall and a bunch of texts from Amy rang through. I completely forgot to call her when I arrived home and she thought something had happened.

11:33pm: Anna, it’s 11:30 and you still haven’t called. Where art thou?

12:44am: Anna, I swear, I’ll kill you if you don’t answer me in the next five minutes.

1:23am: Should I send the police? Did you get mugged on the way home?


Then, the texts stopped until this morning, after obviously falling asleep.

9:06am: I swear Anna, if you’re dead I’m going to kill you

I dialled her number immediately and she was quick to pick up, “Dear heavens, it’s about time, I was seriously freaking out. I think Daniel thought I was overreacting. I should have come over there, are you okay? Did something happen? Where the hell were you?”

“It is too early for this” I said, rubbing the tired from my eyes unsuccessfully.

“Well, where were you?”

“My phone died, I fell asleep, shit happens” I replied, “I haven’t had my coffee yet. I’m sorry I forgot to call last night, I got preoccupied”

“So tell me everything about San Diego. Did you meet Chris Evans? Did you touch his abs? Is he as good looking in person?”

“Is that all you’re interested in?” I laughed, stepping into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee.

“No” she paused for a moment, “But did you?” her voice was a bit muffled now, like she had bit into something and was chewing as she spoke.

“I met him yes!” I replied, “But that’s all I can say I did with him. I met the rest of the cast too. They’re all really nice. I had a lot of fun. I really hope I can do some more of this photography, it was exciting”

“Make some money too?”

I stuck a mug in the Keurig and grabbed a K-cup from the cupboard and started the machine, “I did. It was very helpful, they paid me right on the spot. It was some great bonus money, I could use a few dollars to spend on myself”

“You deserve it!” she answered, “You’ve been working your ass off these past few months. I’m proud of you.”

I smiled, “Thanks Amy”

“So” she lingered on the question for a moment, as if I knew what she was looking for.

“So, what?”

“Did you meet any single guys?”

“I was there less than 24 hours, what do you think?”

“Well you were in California, I know for a fact California boys are very good looking”

“You married one, I get it. But I was on the plane, at the studio, at the hotel and then back on the plane. I barely had a moment to breathe, let alone flirt and get some guys number”

“You totally did meet someone!” she gushed, “Tell me about him”

I groaned, taking my mug of coffee and tossing in some milk and sugar. I sat at the kitchen table and took a sip, “How are you able to decipher me on the phone?”

“I know your tone. And you tend to ramble and get really specific”

I sighed and explained the whole situation to her. From the playful banter, to the subtle conversation before he left, to me chasing after him to give him my card. It sounded more ridiculous as I told the story.

“So he never said yes or no?”

I shook my head, “No”

“Well I guess all you can do is wait. I know it’s frustrating and I’m sure you’ll keep hearing it, but you have no way of contacting him until you hear from him”

“If I hear from him” I corrected her.

“You should have more hope. It’s July, who knows what the fall will bring. New season.”

“Pretty sure the guy has a girlfriend, whom he’s been seeing for a while. It’s really hard to hold onto any kind of hope”

She chuckled, “I met Daniel in high school, he transferred from San Diego, and when he went to Michigan State and I went to Columbia, we drifted apart. We had never dated, but we were pretty close. I had no way of contacting him, because he had lost his phone, changed his number and didn’t have Facebook. We lived our lives, but it was over six months before I finally heard anything from him, when he had heard through the grapevine how I was doing, and you know the rest of my college life was spent in a long distance relationship with a lot of visiting, fights, break-up’s and make-up’s. But look at us now. Waiting is worth it. Sometimes the guy you hope for eventually comes to his senses and you live happily ever after, or he was a decoy, the set-up for the right guy. It will be something you laugh about, and it will go by fast. You’re a great girl Anna, and you deserve the best. The right guy is on his way, your time is coming”

My sister did have a way with words, and she was always good when it came to my venting. I liked listening to her, and I liked being reassured of myself. She was my best friend and I’d be completely lost without her.

“Thanks Amy, you’re the best”

“I know” I could almost hear her proud smile over the phone.

“Well I’m going to go. I need to clean up this apartment.”

“If you’re bored, come by the house. Daniel is working late and I would love the company.”

I nodded, “I’ll see how this turns out and how I feel this evening. I’ll talk to you later”

I hung up the phone and changed venues from the kitchen to the living room, sitting down on the couch and flipping through the channels. I must have looked through the same channels multiple times and there was nothing to watch, so I flipped it off. I looked through my bag and found my iPod, turned on The Killers and spent the morning and afternoon clearing my head and cleaning my apartment.