The Mission

Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: Stark Expo

Steve looked simply dashing in his military uniform. He stood nervously in the living room waiting for Evelynn to arrive. Evelynn walked barefoot into the room holding a pair of heels in each hand. She wore a light blue evening gown that hung off of her shoulders. It was gathered at the top of her left hip, and a slit showed off her leg quite nicely. Across the sweetheart top were faux diamond rhinestones. She had a silver shawl and clutch purse tucked under her arm. Her chestnut brown hair was curled. “All right I bought two pairs of shoes. Which do you think go better with the dress? These,” she held up the pair in her left hand. “Or these?” she raised the right pair.

Steve was completely stunned by her appearance. He felt the same way he did when he had seen Peggy in the red dress at the bar. It was so different to see Evelynn this dressed up, for he had only ever seen her in jeans around the Tower or in her leather X-suit when they went on the mission.

“I clean up nice, right?” she smirked as he continued to stare.

“Yes,” Steve managed one word before realizing that it could be misconstrued. “I mean you always look nice…you just look beautifuller…I mean not fuller…just more beautiful.”

“Thanks. You are adorable when you stammer. And quite spiffy yourself in your uniform.” Steve nodded his thanks. “So which pair of shoes?”

“Which is more comfortable?”

“Neither that’s the point of high heels. They make your butt look good.” Evelynn placed the heels on the ground and stepped into one pair. “See?” Captain Rogers bit his lip. Rather than responding, he offered his arm for her to take and led her to the elevator.

Once outside, Steve opened the door of the limo (provided by Tony of course, for he couldn’t have his house guests arriving to his Expo in a taxi; that just wouldn’t be stylish enough. And Tony was all about style). He waited for her to enter the limo before walking around the other side to get in. In a few short minutes, they had arrived outside of the Expo. “Thank you for the chivalry,” she blushed, as Steve opened the door and offered his hand to help her out of the limo. Paparazzi were everywhere, taking pictures of all of the celebs as they entered the Expo.

The Expo was much more of a party and a show than Steve had remembered, although when it came to the differences in style of the two Starks, it didn’t really surprise him much. Tony made a grand entrance as always with his Iron Man suit and can-can dancers. He spoke to the crowd about his new inventions that would be in the market over the next year, especially the ones with prototypes for people to try while at the Expo.

There was plenty of food and drinks at the Expo and as one of Tony’s VIP guests, Steve did not have to pay for any of it. He returned to the table in the corner where Evelynn was sitting with a Cosmo and a gin and tonic. She thanked him for her drink and took a sip of the pink liquid. “So, which do you like better? The Expo run by Tony or the Expo run by Howard?”

“They both have their appeals,” Steve said diplomatically. “The technology was less overwhelming at Howard’s, but I definitely didn’t have someone like you with me then.” Before Evelynn could get offended by that phrase, Steve elaborated, “When Bucky and I went, it was for a double date back before the procedure. The girl Bucky set me up with was a dish, but she didn’t want anything to do with me. She was far more interested in Howard Stark’s charisma and I was far more interested in trying to enlist to help my country. So I guess Tony’s Expo is more fun to say the least.”

“What does ‘she’s a dish’ mean?”

“You know …a pretty thing.”

“Oh man, I’m glad that piece of slang fell out of popular usage,” Evelynn giggled. “So did you dance with her at least before running off to enlist?”

Steve looked away. “No. Truth be told, I’ve never danced with anyone. I don’t know how.”

“What?” Evelynn sat in disbelief. “Why not?”

“Gals don’t generally line up for a guy they might step on,” Steve repeated the same logic he had told Peggy so many years ago.

“I get that, but I don’t think your physique now would warrant that logic,” she finished off her drink. “C’mon let’s dance.”

“I don’t know how,” Steve protested.

“Most people don’t. As long as you’re not doing the sprinkler or anything absurd, you’ll be fine.” Evelynn noticed his confused look at the mention of the silly dance move. “Never mind. Just put your hands here,” she placed his hands on her hips and snaked her own up his chest to rest behind his neck. “And I’ll lead for now, but when you feel comfortable, you can lead.”

Evelynn rested her head on Steve’s chest as the music slowed. /This was a nice distraction, thank you./

“You’re welcome,” Steve responded verbally, not wanting her to read his mind because the thought-speech really did weird him out. “You know you’re gonna be okay, right? You’re an incredibly strong woman and you’ll be able to bounce back.”

“I know. It’s just hard sometimes. I really do appreciate all of your help. I know Fury really wanted me here so he could have you keep an eye on me, not the other way around. I was pissed at first, but even though Nick Fury comes off as an ass, I do think he actually can be compassionate sometimes. He just compartmentalizes all of it so nobody’s sure if he’s being genuine or just completing protocol.”

“You’ve helped me immensely too, Evelynn,” Steve pulled a brand new phone out of his pocket. It was completely clear and paper thin—one of the prototypes that Tony was showcasing. “I broke 14 phones before you came and Tony had tried endlessly to help me with all of the electronics around the Tower. He tried for about 4 months and nothing. He’s too much of a genius to deal with a soldier like me.”

“Ha, don’t let Tony hear you complimenting his genius-status. It’s hard enough already to get his ego to fit through the doors.”

Steve put the phone back in his pocket and pulled Evelynn closer to him. “And besides, I’m Captain America—I work best when I’m helping those around me.”

“So chivalrous.”
***
“You two made the front page,” Tony tapped the glass of the countertop to reveal the New York Times on the screen. Sure enough, there was a picture of Evelynn and Steve dancing at the Expo and a second inset of Evelynn laughing at something Steve said. The headline read “Sorry ladies, Cap’s spoken for”. Evelynn giggled at how infuriated Tony was that he wasn’t on the front page. After all it was his Expo.

“Aw, poor Tony, are you upset that for once it’s not all about you?”

“It’s always all about me,” he pouted and left the kitchen. “JARVIS get Pepper on the line.”

“Of course, sir. Shall I warn her that you are in a bad mood?”

Tony glared up at the ceiling and then at Evelynn, whose forefingers were pressed against her temples as she smirked at him. “Not funny.” And with that he left the room.

Evelynn glanced over the article. “Last night the annual Stark Expo played host to major corporations from around the world…blah blah blah… Amongst all of the CEOs presenting their prototypes for the future…blah blah…many celebrities graced the Expo with their presence.” She hummed as she continued to skim over the article. “Captain Steve Rogers, better known as Captain America, was in attendance of the Stark Expo being escorted by a beautiful mystery maiden.”

“I do believe I was doing the escorting, not the other way around.”

Evelynn smirked. “Soldier outta time,” she shook her head and continued reading. “Sources say that the mystery maiden was seen leaving the Expo with Rogers and returning to the Stark Towers where the superhero currently resides. Blah blah blah…” Evelynn bust out laughing without warning. “I cannot believe this is on the front page and not in the gossip column! Listen to this last line! It’s terrible! No wonder Tony is so upset about the front page! ‘Sadly, it seems that Captain America is no longer New York’s most eligible bachelor.’ They think we’re dating! And it was considered front page material!”

“Are we not?”

His question sobered her from her laughter. “Not dating or not front page material?”

“Dating.”

She shrugged. “I dunno. I guess I assumed not because you’re from the 40s and I figured that if you wanted to date me then you would ask me out properly or something.”

Steve flashed a smile at her. “Well then, Evelynn, would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?”

“Even though I’m a freak?”

“Evelynn,” he cooed her name. “I don’t think that of you and neither should you.” He stepped closer to her, placing a hand on her cheek. Slowly he kissed her chastely on the lips.

Fin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again for reading! I hope you all enjoyed it. :) Hopefully you found all of my Disney "Easter eggs" hidden throughout the fic. :P