The Mission

Chapter Four

“We live in an age of darkness. A world full of fear, hate and intolerance. But in every age, there are those who fight against it. Charles Xavier was born into a world divided. A world he tried to heal. A mission he never saw accomplished. It seems it’s the destiny of great men to see their goals unfulfilled. Charles was more than a leader, more than a teacher. He was a friend. When we were afraid, he gave us strength. When we were alone, he gave us a family. He may be gone, but his teachings live on through us…his students. Wherever we may go, we must carry on his vision. And that is a vision of a world united.”

Storm’s speech at Professor Xavier’s funeral was eloquent and emotional. Evelynn wanted nothing more than to be able to bring him back to life. In fact, she’d trade her mutation for the ability to bring him back, and she definitely wasn’t alone in that sentiment. Storm was right, however. They needed to pick up the pieces and never forget what they had learned from him. Storm, like Evelynn had lost so much these past few years, but Storm was much more collected than Evelynn was.

Logan, though his reputation called for him to be the nonchalant bad-ass, was hurting too by the deaths of those around him, although most of those at the Mansion believed that Jean’s death actually pained him more than the Professor’s.

As people dispersed, Logan approached Storm. “So what happens to the school now?”

“I’m taking over. I think it’s what he would have wanted. You going to help me teach the youngsters?”

Logan smirked. “Nah. Teaching’s not really my style.”
***
“Sir, you’re going to want to look at this.” Agent Hill motioned for her director to look at her screen.

“Are they mobilizing?”

Agent Hill avoided the question. “Loki seems to have decided that an alien army wasn’t going to work so he’s enlisted their help.”

“We assumed this,” Fury stated, annoyed.

“We didn’t think that they would agree to it. And there’s more,” Agent Hill zoomed in on the screen. “I don’t think she’ll handle this blow well. We might lose her.”

“Secure line 0045. Get her on the line.”
***

It had been nearly six weeks since she moved into Stark Towers. Steve needed less adjusting than Director Fury gave him credit for, which made it easier for Evelynn to just spend time with him. He had opened up to her quite a bit, which was unnerving to say the least. The last person who opened up to her was Logan…and that had ended, well…it ended.

She lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling. It was such a weird place to be in, for she wasn’t quite content with her situation, and yet, she was completely and irreversibly happy whenever she got to spend time with him. He treated her like a person even though he knew and it was quite invigorating.

He wasn’t covering his ears trying to prevent her from reading his mind, or avoiding contact with her as if she was contagious. Although both actions were quite silly, the stupidity of people never ceased to amaze her when they were confronted with unfamiliar things. Sure he asked tons of questions about her mutation, but they were never rude. Or when they were, he immediately apologized and tried to rephrase it in a different manner. It was….refreshing.

It’s people like him that made you want to preserve humanity, Charles. I know it.

On the flipside, she was being used for her powers again, albeit by a different agency this time. She didn’t like that idea. And she was…withholding information from the Avengers which was sure to blow up in her face sooner or later.
***
In the short time that Evelynn had been in the Stark Tower, Steve had witnessed a wide array of her powers, some more daunting than others. Despite this, he did truly enjoy her company and she was right about them having a lot in common. She understood his loss much more than anyone he came in contact with, and while it wasn’t quite a “shared life experience,” she was empathetic and endearing. He enjoyed spending time with her and was glad that, for once in his life, Director Fury sent someone in to help him. He was the super-soldier and “America’s poster child” as Evelynn called him, but it did get lonely from time-to-time and sharing those lonely moments with Evelynn was relaxing to say the least.
***
“Miss, Director Fury is on a secure line for you.” The voice of JARVIS woke Evelynn.

“Mm? Put him on the line,” Evelynn mumbled, wiping sleep from her eyes. “Director?”

“I need you to come in.”

“When?”

“Ten minutes ago.”

Evelynn hurried to get dressed, throwing on sweatpants and a zip-up hoodie. She combed through her hair as she walked out of the door of her apartment, right into Steve Rogers. “Going for a run?”

“Uh…yeah…”

“Mind if I join?”

“I…uh…” Oh god, she hated to do this to him. She touched her forefingers to her temples and said, “You don’t want to go on a run with me.”

“On second thought, I don’t want to go on a run with you,” Steve said, almost robotically. Charles hadn’t taught her that, though he had admitted to using that as one of his “magic” tricks back in England. Evelynn felt guilty, but she was relieved that she didn’t have to make up some lie to get him away from her so she could meet Fury.
***
Fury turned the flat screen to face her. “Do you recognize her?”

The blue woman with her ruby red hair stood next to the Norse God. “Yes, that’s Mystique.”

“You told our intelligence that she was hit with the cure.”

“I also told your intelligence that Magneto regained his powers after being hit with the cure. The “cure” wasn’t permanent and the more powerful the mutant is, the less time it takes for the effects to wear off. But it doesn’t wear off on all mutants. Rogue got the cure years ago and still is showing no signs of her mutation. Magneto was stabbed with about nine of the injections, so his might have taken a little bit longer to wear off.”

“And her?”

“What? No,” Evelynn shook her head in disbelief. The woman standing next to Mystique had to be a double, right? She wouldn’t betray us like this. “That’s not really her, is it?”

Gravely, Nick Fury nodded, “Which is why I needed you here ten minutes ago.”

“What’s their plan of attack?”

“The usual, the world, humanity, the whole nine yards.”

“And the Avengers?”

“You’ll be traveling back with Agent Romanova to brief them on the mission.”

“And Thor?”

“No sign of him yet.”