The Mission

Chapter Five

“Sir, Agent Romanova and Ms. Evelynn have arrived.” JARVIS announced their arrival.

“JARVIS, location on Rogers and Hawkeye.”

“Captain Rogers is in his room. Agent Barton is on a mission in South Africa.” Natasha was all business and in charge, which Evelynn was extremely grateful for. She had always been a key player in the X-men, but Storm, Scott and Logan always were the natural born leaders. Evelynn preferred that Natasha took the reins and did the briefing session.

“Tell Rogers to come to the kitchen, please.”

“As you wish.”

Moments later, Steve assembled into the kitchen. Natasha swiped the briefing packet onto the surface of the table, allowing the digital contents to manifest on the countertop. “You remember Loki, boys?” The Avengers rolled their eyes. “He’s back to play and he’s got some new friends, that our lovely mutant will be able to prep us on.”

“What? Oh right, my turn,” Evelynn smiled nervously. She enlarged the photo of Mystique. “This is Mystique, she’s a shape-shifter so you’ll have to be constantly on guard. We’ll want to stay as a group because she could turn herself into any one of us and that would prove problematic for the team. She has a distinctive scar on her tummy when Wolverine attacked her with his adamantium claws.”

Tony looked at her in disbelief. “She shape-shifts.”

“Pretty sweet mutation if you ask me. She’s also a fierce fighter and a seductress. She’ll use everything the gods have given her to her advantage, human traits, mutant traits and everything in between. I’ve seen her take on mimicked mutations as well as physical states. They aren’t usually nearly as powerful as the mutant she’s shifting into, but it is something to keep in mind.” Evelynn knew that this piece of information was the least helpful without giving them a full history lesson on every mutant she’s every come in contact with. The Avengers didn’t know what mutations she might mimic, but at least she told them everything she knew.

Evelynn zoomed out on Mystique’s profile and into Pyro’s. “This is Pyro. He controls fire. But he can’t create it spontaneously, so if we knock out his home-made flamethrower mechanisms,” Evelynn motioned to the gas pilots on his wrists, “he’s virtually helpless. He doesn’t fight well without his powers.”

“And the third one?” Steve asked pointing to the other mutant.

“I’m not sure,” Evelynn was only half lying. “She’s an old friend and she took over the school when Charles died. She believes in Charles’ ideals, so I don’t know why she would be working for someone like Loki…”

“Loki put Hawkeye under a mind-numbing spell once. Turned him into his personal flying monkey.” Natasha pointed out, inwardly wincing at the memory.

“Her powers?” Evelynn was surprised at how business-like Tony was. She assumed because of the war that Steve would react that way, but Tony never struck her as the business type.

“Like Thors.”

“And the others? Humans or mutants?” Captain America asked.

“Mostly mutants it seems. They’re part of Magneto’s old Brotherhood. They believe that they are the next step in evolution and that humans are beneath them and must be servants or be eliminated. I don’t know any of their powers in specifics, but their tattoos are pretty distinct. I’m almost positive that Mystique is the only shape-shifter to worry about.”

“Weaknesses?”

“Arrogance, mostly.” Evelynn perused through the file not looking up. “Magneto is an excellent strategist. He used to play chess with Charles…and win.”

“Where are they located?”

“In Westchester County.”

“Well at least they’re in New York,” Tony joked. “JARVIS, my suit, please.”

“We need a plan of attack,” Steve said, authoritatively. Tony opened his mouth to protest, but JARVIS interrupted. “Sir, Dr. Banner is on his way up.”

“D-doctor B-banner?” Evelynn stammered, losing her composure. Why? He can’t be…Her eyes widened and she shot a look of panic in Steve’s direction. Steve’s calculating eyes caught the look, but he did not respond.

“Nice guy, wicked temper though,” Tony states nonchalantly. “He worked…” before he could finish, Evelynn bolted from the room. She ran down the emergency stairs. “Are all mutants flight risks? If so, this mission will be a breeze.” Tony wondered aloud. “JARVIS, location on Ms. Evelynn please.”

“My systems are off-line.” Tony furrowed his brow. A few seconds later the distinctive beep of JARVIS turning on resounded. “Sir, the elevator is mal-functioning.”
***
“Let me locate her,” Captain Rogers volunteered.

“Not a chance, lover boy,” Fury responded on the telecom.

“With all due respect, she left because Bruce came here. Clearly she is agitated. Sending in a troupe will only aggravate her further. Give me two hours to locate her and bring her back. If we get her back here on her terms, she will be less of a flight risk.”

Natasha concurred. “It will be better for everyone if she is working with us and not against us. Let Captain Rogers go.”

Fury sighed. “One hour.”

“You’re not suiting up?” Natasha asked.

Captain Rogers hesitated for a moment, reaching for his shield. He shook his head. “She needs to believe I’m going after her because I want to help her. If I show up as Captain America and not as Steve, things might go sour fast.”
***
Steve walked slowly up to the park bench where Evelynn was seated. When he was a few paces away he heard her voice in his head. /Why are you here?/ He hesitated for only a moment before approaching the bench. "To help.” He sat down next to her on the bench and she instinctively moved away from him. Her gaze was focused on the people in the grass playing with their dog.

/You can’t help. I’m not worth helping. Director Fury brought in Dr. Banner because I didn’t do my job correctly. People are going to die because of me and Dr. Banner is here to make sure I reap the consequences./ Her thoughts were jumbled and quick.

“Of all of the pieces of your mutation, I like the mind-talking the least. It’s unnerving.”
/I don’t want to talk./ Evelynn ignored his request, hoping he would go away. “Will you at least look at me then?” Slowly Evelynn brought her gaze up to meet his. He smiled, not because he won a small battle but because he was right about trusting his gut. She wasn’t going to hurt him. “Why do you think Dr. Banner is going to hurt you? He might turn into the other guy and reap havoc, but he’s never hurt us. He’s on our side, even the other guy knows it.”

“I’m not so worried about the green guy.”

Gratefully, Steve whispered, “Glad you’re talking for real.” He paused for a moment. “So you have a thing against doctors? Not all of them are like that guy…what was his name? Striker?”

“I know they’re not.” Evelynn averted her gazed. Softly, she said, “But Dr. Banner used to work for William Striker.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed the update. :)