The Mission

Chapter Seven

Of course Loki first needed to wipe out any mutants who refused to join his cause. Having a hunch that many of the mutants residing at the School for Gifted Youngsters would refuse to join unless they had some persuasion, he “recruited” Storm. He smirked as the Avengers appeared on the scene. “Right on cue.”

Loki nodded to Magneto. “Brothers and sisters,” The mutant addressed his peers, “Today is the day we show the world what the next stage of evolution is capable of. Today, we re-write history!” The Brotherhood of Mutants cheered and they began to rush the mansion.

Evelynn joined her new teammates as they stormed the grounds of her old home. As predicted, Magneto was sending the weaker mutants ahead with the intention of tiring the Avengers out before they got to him and Loki.

She knocked out one girl with a quick jab to her chin and dragged the feet out from under several other mutants as they approached her by grabbing the air and pulling. She planted her left heal and struck another mutant with her right shin in a precise roundhouse kick. She didn’t re-track her shin fast enough and the mutant grabbed her shoe and flipped her onto the ground.

On her right, Natasha was shooting mutants with pristine accuracy. “Re-chamber your kicks,” she called out as Evelynn stood back up. Behind her Dr. Banner had transformed and was just swiping scores of mutants clear off of the map. Captain America charged forward with all of his finesse, throwing and catching his shield and knocking out enemies one-by-one. There was a soft hum of the Iron Man suit charging and recharging as Tony fired on the mutants.

“Natasha,” Evelynn spoke desperately into the comm. piece. “How did you get Barton out of Loki’s control before?”

“I re-calibrated his brain.”

“Can you do that for Storm?”

“I’m a little preoccupied right now, Evelynn!” Natasha shot another mutant dead center. Evelynn pushed the mutants surrounding Natasha into the basketball pole. /Please. She’s all I have left./ Natasha nodded in response. As she bolted up the hill towards Loki and Storm, she passed a familiar face…

“Good of you to join us, Hawkeye,” Captain America nodded toward his comrade. “Did Fury call you in?” Without warning Hawkeye pulled a gun from its holster and aimed it at Rogers.

BANG!

Steve’s eyes widened as the imposter in front of him stutter-stepped, all of her transformations from the past day cycling through. She fell to the ground, clutching her left shoulder. Natasha stood behind her, gun still aimed.

“How did you know it wasn’t him?”

Natasha smiled. “Knowing people’s patterns is part of my job.” She pivoted on her heel and sprinted up towards Storm.

Rogers nodded to her in thanks and hurled his shield at a nearby member of the brotherhood. Their tribal tattoos made them quite easy to distinguish.

“Tony! Stay out of sight. Magneto’s here. He’ll control your suit in a heartbeat if he realizes you’re around. Look alive team. Magneto controls all things metal.” Evelynn spoke through her comm.

“Is he the man in the black cape with the dorky looking helmet?” Natasha asked.

“Yes.” As soon as she affirmed, Captain Rogers hurled his shield at him. “Bozo! You’re shield is…” Evelynn didn’t bother to finish berating the captain as Magneto hurled the shield back at him. As soon as Captain America caught his shield, stopping it from practically piercing his stomach, he was launched forward towards the mutant.

He’s as bad as Wolverine. Evelynn thought to herself. /Old habits die hard, huh, Cap?/

/Yeah, didn’t think that one through./ Steve admitted, bashfully.

“You humans never learn do you?” Magneto smirked. He held the shield, with Captain Rogers still attached to it, above the soldier’s head. He dangled in front of Magneto. “You brought the wrong toys to play with, Captain.” He smirked. “Everything that is metal is mine.”

“Good thing my feet aren’t metal,” Rogers huffed and kicked Magneto in the chest with both of his feet. Magneto fell to the ground and released his hold on the shield. Steve bent his knees and rolled out of the way of some cross-fire.

Rogers hooked his shield onto his back and marched over to Magneto. He picked him up by the collar of his coat and punched him in between his eyes, knocking him out cold. Rogers pressed a finger to his ear. “You’re clear, Tony.”

“Roger that, Captain Popsicle!”

“That is still not funny, Tony.”

A mutant appeared in front of Captain America. He cracked his neck, smirking at the Avengers clad in red, white and blue. As Steve tossed his shield at the mutant, he teleported and appeared directly behind him. The mutant wrapped his arms around Rogers’s neck. Steve reached behind him and threw him forward. Just before the mutant hit the ground, he teleported so that he might land on his feet.

The mutant teleported again and again, striking the captain with his fist each time he teleported. “Captain,” Tony called threw the comm. “He’s more predictable than he appears. You 10 o’clock coming up.” Just as Tony finished calling out the pattern, the mutant appear on Steve’s left and he slammed his head into the unsuspecting mutant, knocking him out cold.

“Good call, thanks.” Steve marched towards his shield and replaced it on his arm.

“I think, my dear, that some cover might suit our comrades quite nicely,” Loki cooed to Storm. Under his spell, she nodded and fog began to cover the forest.

Thor saw the fog approaching and swung his hammer in a circular motion. The skies darkened and thunder roared. Lightning struck the ground and the fog dispersed. Storm cocked her head, confused. She had never met someone with a power like hers.

Paying her concern no mind, Storm retaliated with a lightning bolt aimed directly for Thor. He redirected it, electrocuting several of the Brotherhood in the process. He ran towards Storm and slammed his hammer onto the ground mere inches from where she stood. She fell onto the ground, but did not lose her focus. She swept Thor up in a mini tornado.

Natasha rushed towards Storm, intending on “re-calibrating her,” but Storm swept her hands to the left and swept Natasha away as well.

Thor flew back to the place where his brother stood. He circled his mighty hammer once more. “Brother, why must you continue to wage war against the Midgardians? You cannot desire a throne that much.”

“It is my birthright!” Loki was practically screaming at his brother. Thor sighed, knowing that there was no talking sense into him. He swung his hammer, preparing to knock Loki out with it. Lightning surged around the top of the hammer. “Oh, I wouldn’t.” Loki stated, coolly.

As the thunder god swung his hammer, Loki put up his scepter and created a brief, but effective force-field around himself. The lightning was redirected and Thor was hurdled backwards upon impact.

The lightning bolt struck Storm in her chest as she stood next to Loki. Her body went limp. Evelynn’s eyes widened as she screamed.

~~
♠ ♠ ♠
Just as a side-note. I did do some research into Loki. He was supposedly able to create force-fields, according to some myths so I did not just pull that outta my ass. :P