Time Stands Still

One Step Closer

Warm, but salty summer air fills the lungs of the two hundred or so people on the grassy patch in front of the beach. It was bright in the mid-afternoon sunlight of early August. Waves crashed quietly on the beach about twenty yards ahead of where the guests were all milling around chairs, looking for seats. The groom stood chatting with his a few of his friends that had come across the very ocean in front of them for the wedding, he may have been British but his bride was one hundred percent American, which meant the wedding would be in America, and afterwards, they would probably find a new home in California. Oddly enough, he found he was okay with that. After all, the wedding was supposed to the be bride's day and he really was supposed to just stand there and smile, plus, her whole life was in California, all of her friends and family. Hell even her business was in America, and really, he could find work anywhere. So, he stood there, smiling and conversing with his friends and family waiting for everything to start, not showing for a single second how terrified he really was. What if she left him standing there like an idiot? He doubted that she would, she was a good woman with a strong heart and open mind. She was beautiful and brilliant and, maybe a little childish at times but she could be more mature than the oldest of trees. He believes she wants this. He knows he does. He wants her, only her, but maybe she doesn't want him. His heart beast faster when he remembers that she did say yes. Not only did she say yes, he thinks to himself, but that she threw herself into planning the wedding. He smiles a little more genuinely as he remembers how it all happened. How everyone they knew came to be standing in a patch of grass, waiting for the music to play, at an obscure little hotel in Rhode Island.

They met in Los Angeles on a cool spring evening two years earlier. He'd been attending some big event in Hollywood, he couldn't entirely remember what for now. After a few years of being big in the acting business all of those important events kind of seemed to blur together, whatever the event was on that cool evening in March she had catered the after party, where they had met. She wasn't a big name at the time. The host of the party seemed to have only picked her because the original caterer had cancelled last minute. So, Gotham Catering had stepped in, getting the chance to earn a name for itself, and after that night business boomed for the little catering company started only three months previously when the owner had, finally, completed culinary school. It happened when he'd been wandering around the host's home and he'd accidentally found the kitchen. She stood, in the middle of the fray, ordering the rest of her staff around in such an organized frenzy that he could only stare, jaw hanging open, at her speed and complete command yet the kind way her eyes seemed to gleam as she aided each station in their tasks. Finally she stopped, seeming to notice him at last.

"Can we help you?" she asked. He realized his mouth was dangling open, and snapped his jaw shut, a little surprised at having been addressed by the woman in the chef's coat. He shook his head a bit before finding his voice.

"I-it's a little bit overwhelming out there," he gestured toward the party, "would you mind if I just... sat here and watched."

She gave him a once over, and then nodded her consent, "Don't get in the way, and it will be just fine," she murmured, offering him a small smile and pointing to a stool that he was welcome to use. He spent the rest of the evening enraptured by her movements. She dove and swerved around people, issuing orders in a loud, yet not unkind manner. She tasted dishes, wiped plates, and in between she would sweep a stray strand of hair behind her left ear where the majority of her jet black waves were swept into a loose ponytail. It seemed like a year passed while she attended the kitchen, as the hours ticked by. At last, in the earliest hours of the morning when every dish had been served and every leftover had been stored and every plate had been cleaned, she came to sit next to him; placing a plain white tea set that stood on a silver tray on the counter in front of them. There was a pot filled with generic black tea, a sugar bowl, a creamer, two not-so-delicate tea cups each sitting upon its own saucer, and a small plate of cookies.

She poured steaming tea into the two cups that were resting on the tray. After setting the teapot down she picked up a cup and offered it to him. Once he'd taken it she proceed to put three spoons of sugar and a splash of cream in the other cup.

"So uh, who are you?" He asked.

"I'm Elise Kent." She stuck her hand out towards him. "It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Cumberbatch."

"The pleasure is all mine," He shook her hand. "So what's your story?"

She raised an eyebrow at him, "What no small talk? Just straight into, Elise tell me your darkest secrets. We did just meet, you know." Her tone was light and teasing so he let out a chuckle.

"Actually, I've been sitting here watching you run this kitchen, that isn't even yours by the way, for the last three hours like you've been trained all your life for this kind of thing, technically three hours of time together might be counted as, oh, around two dates I'd say. And isn't that when all the the deep dark secrets start to come out?"

She grinned widely, "Oh I like you Mr. Cumberbatch. Well let's see; I was born here in California, in San Diego actually. My dad was a Marine for thirty years, he retired six years ago, and when I was born he was a drill instructor at the Recruit Depot in San Diego. For a few years we bounced back and forth between Southern California and South Carolina. We were in Japan for a while, and after we came back my dad got deployed a few times. He still loves the Corps. Both of my brothers went in. The older one is Evan, and he's deployed and my younger brother, Elliot, is in Boot Camp right now. I wanted to serve but my mom said no. She put her foot down, her husband spent thirty dedicating his life to it. Don't get me wrong, she understood that the Corps came first but she didn't want to see all of her children tied to it like her husband was. She made me choose something else. So I went to college, learned how to run a business, and then I went to culinary school. My plan was to open a diner or a bed and breakfast, instead I got a job in a high end restaurant and after a few years I started up a catering company." She shrugged. "Gotham is for my brothers, Evan and Elliot always loved Batman and in the end they kind of dragged me along in to it."

"That is quite a history," he remarked, taking a sip of the now cooling tea. "Yet, you haven't given me any deep dark secrets."

She smirked at him, "Well for that, you'd have to take me on an actual date."

He laughed, "Alright, how about tomorrow night? I'll pick you up at seven."

So, she wrote down her address and her phone number, and the next day he picked her up, and it changed everything. Over the next eighteen months, they learned everything about each other, every favorite color and every promise ever made, and they learned how to be brave enough to fall in love with each other. He knew that she'd been a fan of his and it didn't really bother him, not after he learned all of the other things about her. She took him home for Thanksgiving and he met her parents, and her brothers, and he was only slightly, but honestly mostly, scared by the three Marines and the woman who had managed to shape them. He introduced her to his parents and they were delighted that he seemed to have found someone at last. They dated and danced and worked. Sometimes he was far away and sometimes he was close, but they stuck to it. Then it hit him. It was like having water poured on you from out of nowhere, it took his breath away only but only for a moment before his heart started racing and his breathing was a little faster than normal. This was the woman he wanted to spend his life with, the woman he wanted to have children with, the woman he wanted to wake up next to on Christmas morning and be quietly discontented to be spending the holiday with her parents rather than his. That day he went out and bought a ring. Two days later he took her to dinner in the restaurant where they'd had their first date. When dessert came he looked at her, and smiled. Finally, he got down on one knee. There were tears in her eyes, but she said yes.

Now he stood with her brothers, telling them the secret of the honeymoon destination and watching as the final few seats were being filled. He checked his pocket watch, that had been a wedding gift from his bride, and saw that it was almost time. All of his doubt suddenly went away. He tucked the watch away in his breast pocket again, as a small smile graced his lips.

He stood in front of the congregation, next to his best friend and her two brothers and the minister, and the music started to play.

One step closer.

Then he saw her, his beautiful bride, clinging to the arm of her father who was wearing his Dress Blues, a sword hanging at his left hip lined up with the red stripe on his pants, smiling widely like she had some kind of secret and her eyes were full of love. Time stood still.

_______________________________________

She sat with her mother, sister-in-law and her closest friends, touching up her make up. It felt as if she was putting on war paint or a mask. In all honesty, she was petrified. Elise hadn't previously thought that she would be so afraid of getting married. She hadn't dated much in high school or college, and for the most part she never really felt like she would find the perfect person to settle down with. Having two obnoxious brothers didn't really help either. They'd picked on her frequently when they were younger, but they'd also protected her. The first time a boy had broken her heart, Evan broke his nose. The three siblings had a good relationship, and Elise had relied on them a lot to help with the wedding.

Her sister-in-law, Annie, picked up the flat iron and started running it through her hair. Annie took the smallest possible sections of hair in order to give the illusion that Elise's naturally thick and wavy hair was straight like a waterfall. Annie was her matron of honor, dressed in a pale teal dress that was strapless and ended at the knee with a lavender ribbon wrapping around the waist. She and Elise had been dorm mates in college, they later joined the same sorority and upon graduation, they got an apartment together. It wasn't too surprising that her oldest brother, Evan, had married Annie after dating for a few years. It was when Evan was stationed at Camp Pendleton and the girls were living only a couple of hours north. One weekend, when Evan came to visit, the pair just sort of fell in love. They'd known each other for a few years, but sometimes things just happen. Now they were married, and living in San Diego while Evan was stationed there for Drill Instructor's school. He'd followed in their father's footprints and taken the same initial career path in the Marine Corps, being a working dog handler for the military police, then once he reached the right rank and it was time to re-enlist, he decided to go to Drill Instructor school, he'd only graduated last week and he'd taken a week of leave. Her younger brother, Elliot, was a saxophone player in the Marine Corps Band, and he was also stationed in San Diego. Elliot remained unmarried, and he was happy for it.

Elise blinked, coming out of her thoughts, and decided that she'd put on enough blush. She picked up the flute of champagne that was resting on the vanity and took a sip, eyeing the wedding dress that was still hanging on the door. Placing the glass back on the table she decided it simply wasn't strong enough.

"Annie," she murmured. "Did you bring any liquid courage?"

Annie smiled down at Elise, "Of course sweetie, do you want the Jack or the Tequila?"

Elise didn't even have to think about it, "The Jack."

Annie turned and dug through the duffle bag that held all of the cosmetic supplies, only to pull her hand out a moment later holding a black flask. She handed it to Elise. Elise unscrewed the cap, and took a swig out of the flask.

"What's wrong honey?" her mother, Elena, asked; eyeing her only daughter from across the room, where she was fixing a bridesmaid's hair.

"Oh mama, what if it doesn't work out?" she uttered with despair.

There was a collective, "Oh Elise," and suddenly her two other bridesmaids and her mother were surrounding her and touching her, trying to provide some comfort.

"Oh sweetie he loves you," Kate, another sorority sister and bridesmaid told her.

"What makes you think it won't last darlin'?" Sam, her other best friend, just not for as long as Annie, asked in her Texas twang.

"I don't know. I just... Never had a relationship that did. Mama, you and daddy have been married for thirty-five years, how did you make it work?" Elise turned to face her mother.

"Well sweetie, there are a few secrets to being married for so long. You have to remember that your husband really is your best friend, and you need to be able to tell him everything and anything. Never let the sun set on your anger, if you're going to be mad, than be mad. But don't go to sleep angry at each other. Hold hands, keep going on dates, have plenty of sex," all the girls smiled a bit at this. "And most importantly communicate. He loves you and you love him, always make sure he knows that, and you'll both do just fine."

Elena Kent then reached for her purse and unzipped. Gently she reached in and pulled out a small box.

"Here honey, something old." Her mama opened the box to reveal a simple diamond bracelet. Elise knew that it was the bracelet her daddy had given mama when Elise was born. She'd seen her mama wear it a million times, but she never thought that one day she would wear it.

"Oh mama," she sighed. Elena wrapped the bracelet around Elise's wrist and clasped it.

"Whenever you're afraid that things won't work out, find this, and remember my advice."

Elise leaned forward and hugged her mother tightly.

"I think Annie has your something borrowed darling." Elena remarked. Annie smiled and reached into the duffle bag again, removing two boxes. She handed the larger one to Sam and Kate and they took it smiling like maniacs. Annie sat down next to Elise. She picked up Elise's hand and placed the small black box in her best friend's hand.

"Now I know you love these, and I want them back." Elise and Annie giggled together, and Annie opened the box in Elise's hand. Nestled comfortably in the box were the earrings that Evan had gotten Annie when they got married. They drop earrings cast in white gold with three small circular diamonds, and they matched her mother's bracelet perfectly.

"ANNIE!" Elise exclaimed. "I can't wear these."

"Yes you can Elise, you aren't keeping them. You're my sister and you adore these earrings. Mama and I collaborated."

"I can tell," Elise laughed. "Annie will you put them in for me?"

"Of course sweetie." Annie bustled around Elise, working on putting the earrings in and making sure the clasps were fixed. Once all the work was done with the earrings and her hair was finished and put in its place and the only thing left to do was put on the dress, Elise looked over the small gathering in her bridal suite.

"Alright you two, what do you have for me?"

Sam and Kate looked at each other and smirked. They brought her the box, and she took it cautiously.

"Something blue," they giggled. Elise raised an eyebrow and opened the wrapped little package. Inside was a navy blue corset, a skimpy pair of panties and a garter in a matching navy shade. All the ladies in the room laughed raucously.

"Alright, I suppose it's time to face the dress." Elise said. She pulled off the robe she was wearing and started to put on the blue lingerie Sam and Kate had given her. Elise put the easier items on first, starting with the panties and then the garter and finally she had the girls help her into the corset. She leaned over and put on her silver pumps that were dotted with rhinestones.

Finally Elise stood and pulled the dress down from the back of the door. It was heavy, for a dress, and as white as pure snow. The skirt was almost like a princess dress, the way it flowed out and fell to the floor, but it had a train behind it. The top had a sweetheart neckline with an empire waist. Across her chest the fabric was twisted and ruched. Underneath it decorated with rhinestones in an abstract, swirly pattern. Elena came to stand behind, in order to zip up the dress, and there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Annie called, unplugging the flat iron and rolling up the cord. Elise's father, Preston Kent, came in along with Evan.

"Elise," her father murmured, with tears in his eyes. "Oh my little girl is all grown up."

"Daddy," She smiled at him. Evan cleared his throat.

"Elise, this is from Ben." He held out the little bag. "He says, it's your something new." Her brow furrowed as she pulled out the jewelry box inside of it. Opening the box she found a necklace that had a Journey Heart pendant hanging from a box chain.

"You three all collaborated didn't you?" She asked Annie, who was currently packing everything that Elise wouldn't need last minute back into her magical duffle bag.

"Oh yes, we're all brilliant that way." The girls giggled. Elise picked up the gift bag that had been sitting next to the vanity. "Evan, this is for Ben, when you make your way back can you give it to him?"

"Sure thing, you look beautiful sis," he came over and kissed her cheek. "Knock 'em dead." They shared a smile, then Evan turned and left the room.

"Daddy will you help me put it on?" she asked, removing the necklace from the box, and undoing the clasp. Preston took the necklace from his daughter and moved behind her. He placed the chain around her neck and clasped it, letting the necklace fall into place.

"Time for me to go darling," Elena said. "I'll see you soon." The pair embraced and Elena left, making her way downstairs and outside in order to find a seat.

Annie came up to Elise holding the veil. "You ready?" she asked.

Elise nodded, and Annie placed the veil in the back of her hair, pinning it in and using a little hairspray on it's clip to ensure that it would stay.The veil only fell over the back of her hair, so she wouldn't hae to cover her face. Elise looked over herself in the mirror one last time, she put on her lipstick and took a deep breath. Finally, she picked up the bouquet of white roses and turned toward the door.

"Elise," He father said, coming to stand next to her. "It's time."

She smiled, and took her father's arm, and they began the most important walk of her life.

One step closer.

Then she saw him. Elise smiled her secret little smile at him as she clung to her Daddy's right arm with her left hand, her other hand was wrapped around the stems of the white roses that made up her bouquet. He was in his freshly pressed Blues, but the fabric was still soft under her fingers. Her brothers stood to the side Ben, dressed in their blues too. Annie, Kate, and Sam stood opposite of the men. The bridal march was playing and took one step closer to the rest of her life.

_______________________________________

They stood together in front of the congregation. Elise had passed the bouquet to Annie and was holding on to Benedict's hands. The minister was making a speech about marriage and love and unity and God only knows what else. After what seemed like a half an hour speech about marriage, he finally looked at the glowing couple in front of him. They were smiling secretly at each other when the pastor finally began the vows.

"Do you, Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch, take Elise Colette Kent, to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do you part?"

"I do." He whispered, grinning down at her.

"And do you Elise Colette Kent, take Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do you part?"

"I do." She looked up at him, with tears of joy in her eyes, and beamed.

"Then you may exchange rings." He held her left hand in his and slid the platinum eternity band onto her ring finger. Elise took his left hand gently in hers and slipped a plain, thin, titanium band onto his ring finger.

"By the power vested in my by the state of Rhode Island, I know pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." He snaked his arm around her waist and pulled her in close, leaning her back slightly, and kissed her.

For a moment Elise and Benedict kissed like their lives depended on it. All of their guests applauded and they finally pulled away when the minister cleared his throat. "I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Cumberbatch."

They laughed and proceeded with the recessional, heading into the large Sperry tent to begin the reception.

Benedict couldn't take his eyes off of his bride as they sat and ate the dinner they'd picked out, remembering how she'd asked if it would be tacky to cater her own wedding. He'd laughed at the time, but the truth was her catering skills were exceptional. They held hands under the table and sipped at the white wine they had picked out. After the meal, before cake, they moved on to alcohol that was a little harder, and started to listen to the speeches.

Preston provided his speech first.

"Twenty-eight years ago, I was stationed in San Diego, teaching young men how to be Marines. I was about two months in to my platoon's training when one day, the phone in the office rang. Now, as a Drill Instructor you get to call home every few days, and if your platoon is doing well you may even get to spend some time with your family every few weeks, so unless it's the chain of command or a concerned parent of some sissy kid, the phone hardly ever rings. So, the Senior Drill Instructor answers the phone, prepared to either yell or be yelled out when he hears this sweet voice say 'I'd like to speak to Staff Sergeant Kent please, tell him it's Elena.' So he calls me over and puts me on the phone with my wife, and I swear I could hear her smile through the phone when she said, 'Preston, I'm pregnant again.' At the time Evan had just turned three, and we'd finally gotten him out of diapers. I never knew I could be so excited about having another child so soon, but I gave a hoot and a holler when I found out. We waited to find out the gender until after my platoon had graduated and become Marines, I loved teaching those boys but shit, I couldn't wait to get home and find out more about this baby, and when we found out, it was a girl." He took a sip of his Jack and Coke before continuing. "Now, Elise wasn't just any girl. Sure she liked getting Barbies and tea sets, but she never seemed to mind when her brothers would pull some stupid stunt and one of her toys would be broken. Instead, little Elise would just get even. If Evan pulled the head off of one of her Barbies; she'd melt his toy soldiers, if Elliot broke her tea cups she'd bury his Hotwheels." Preston chuckled, "Elise was feisty, and sometimes her brothers would make her cry, but she'd never let them have the satisfaction of breaking her. I knew then that Elise would be a strong woman. For a long time, her mother and I worried that maybe she was too strong, maybe she wouldn't let anyone into her heart, and we'd end up without grandchildren. But then, one year for Thanksgiving, she brought home Benedict. Now, with two Marines and a man who had recently retired from the Corps you'd think Benedict would be pissing himself. Instead, he simply stuck out his hand and introduced himself. Then, about a year later he calls me up in the middle of the night to ask if he can marry my daughter. He told me that he hadn't picked out a ring yet, but that he'd like my blessing before he did. So I gave it to him, any man that can wake up a devil dog in the middle of the night to ask for his only daughter, is a man that has balls enough to love her right. So, to Elise and Benedict, we wish you many happy years, and plenty of children for us to spoil."

Annie and Evan delivered their speech together.

"Elise, in all honesty when I heard from Annie that my little sister was getting married my first thought was, how can I wreak havoc at her wedding. My second thought was, it's about damn time. I know that Elliot and I have always kind of been a barrier between you and all the losers that would've broken your heart, but we're glad you found Benedict-" "Oh sweetie you're so perfect for each other," Annie interjected, making both Elise and Benedict smirk. "You really are, I remember how you used to describe your perfect relationship in college and you found it with him. We're so happy for you two."
"But if you ever hurt my sister Benedict, Elliot and I will come after you." Evan finished, while Annie smacked him across the chest. The best man made a speech next, which Elise kind of tuned out as she plastered on a smile and sipped, rather frequently, from her "Put a Ring on It". It was basically Sprite, peach Schapps, whipped cream vodka, and Hpnotiq; in other words it was a pretty blue little martini.

At long last all the speeches were given and it was time for the dancing to begin.

"Ladies and Gentlemen please clear the floor for the bride and groom." There was some shuffling and moving around. Elise and Benedict stood and walked around their table and on to the floor.

"Ladies and gentlemen, dancing for the first time Mr. and Mrs. Benedict Cumberbatch." The DJ announced. The song began to play, he took one of her hands in his and placed the other on her waist. She placed her free hand on his shoulder.

One step closer
I have died every day waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more


They twirled around the dance floor, having finally reached their destination. They were smiling and after a while the song changed. They continued to dance for a while before others started to cut in. Elise danced with both of her brothers and the best man, which was a little uncomfortable because they didn't know each other all that well, she danced with her some of her friends from college, a few of her previous clients, and some people who worked in the kitchen with her. Finally the DJ announced the Father-Daughter dance and her father approached her to cut in.

"Daddy," she smiled at him, as he pulled her in to dance. Evan Rachel Woods' rendition of Blackbird by the Beatles began to play.

"Congratulations sweetheart," he murmured to her.

"Thank you daddy." They danced in relative silence until the song finished, and Benedict came to take his bride back.

"Sir," he greeted Preston.

"Take care of my little girl Benedict," her father stated, trying to be menacing. Benedict only offered a small smile, knowing that he would even if he didn't have to face the wrath of the older man.

After another hour or so of dancing they cut the cake, ate a slice or two, and disappeared from the mass of people who would continue to dance and drink and discuss the wedding for a few more hours.

It didn't matter though, all that mattered to the pair was that every hour had come to this.