Status: spur-of-the-moment drabble

You Are My Sunshine

...my only sunshine

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine..."

Her mother used to sing this song to her when she was little. She would curl up in her mother's lap, craving the warmth of her love, and her mother would softly sing these words to her, and she would feel comfort. No amount of thunder or sky-darkening clouds could frighten her when she heard the sunshine of her mother's voice.

"You make me happy when the skies are gray..."

She had a penchant for this song, even as she grew into adulthood. When the sky overheard turned gray and dismal, she would curl up in her mother's blanket and sing this song to herself. Even miles away in her own home, she could still hear the sweet croon of her mother's voice, brightening the darkest days with her sunshine.

"You'll never know dear, how much I love you..."

It was gray and dreary the day her mother passed away. Thunder rumbled through the clouds, sending rain down in sharp droplets like glass. She looked towards the sky. Where was the sunshine now? She stood beside her father and held tight to his hand as they watched her mother be laid to rest in the cold, damp earth. As they stood there hand in hand, a slender ray of sunlight burst through the clouds, bouncing down to her mother's coffin. She closed her eyes and she swore she could hear her mother's soft voice singing the song of her childhood.

"Please don't take my sunshine away...
♠ ♠ ♠
just a little something I wrote after getting a random spark of inspiration. eh?