The Runner

Kennedy

“Shut that damn thing off!” Frank yells from his room down the hall. Classes ended yesterday, summer is now officially here, and he doesn't want to be disturbed. Too bad for him I need my alarm unbearably loud in order for it to actually wake me up. I cannot be late for work, again. Last time I was they didn't schedule me for a week, and I need the money. Unlike Frank, I don't live off my parent's wealth. Not that my parents have a large amount of wealth for me to even consider living off of, but that's beside the point.

I roll over, slamming my hand down on the button to turn my alarm off. Silence overtakes the apartment, and suddenly I feel suffocated. Everything seems to be moving too slow, and the air seems too thin. My nerves are getting to me. Today I am starting a new shift at work, and though I know everything I need to do, I don't know the people I'll be working with. I never was too well at making friends. I am lucky enough that Frank still puts up with me.

After a few deep breaths, I calm myself enough to get out of bed and head to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

- - -


Things are a lot more quiet at the bookstore when working the morning shift. So far today I have sat behind the counter watching people go by the large window at the front of the store. On the bright side, I have learned that I will be working basically alone. The only other person here is Jenny, but she works in the attached café. Thankfully, Jenny is someone I know. I wouldn't say we're friends, but we have gotten together outside work a couple of times.

As I'm staring out the window, wishing I had brought my novel with me, my eyes widen at the sight of an angel jogging by. I must be seeing things. That's the only logical explanation. Humans don't look like that, and he is far too attractive to be human. I'm seeing things. I'm so lonely my mind is making up unrealistic beings for me to infatuate over. I'm so pathetic.

And I actually would have believed it's all in my head if twenty minutes later I didn't catch him slowing to a walk before entering the café portion of the store. Never before have I envied a person so much. Jenny is able to have his eyes on her for minutes at a time. It's probably for the best. People like him aren't interested in people like me. I wouldn't even know how to talk to him.

With a sigh, my eyes scan over his tall, fit figure, admiring how healthy his black hair looks, and how bright his blue eyes are. He's flawless, which is why he and Jenny are flirting right before my eyes. Jenny is a gorgeous girl. Tall, slender, curvy in all the right places, tanned skin, auburn hair, and hazel eyes. She has a great sense of fashion, and a wonderful personality. Basing it off looks alone, she's perfect for him, and he for her.

It's no wonder I'm so alone. Guys aren't attracted to dorky-looking guys like me. On top of my hair being long, wavy, and unmanageable I have both glasses and braces. God was not looking out for me when he made me. I guess I should just be thankful that I only have another year with my braces before they'll be removed. Until then, I'll have to just deal with being alone.

I'm already used to it, anyway.