Status: Very Active

Study of Life and Love

False Alarm

Sidney

“How are your studies? You’re on top of everything right?”

I blinked tiredly at the ceiling above my bed, holding the phone loosely against my ear.

“Yeah, Mum, it’s been fine. I’m getting a bit tired though.” I told her.

“Really?” She mused through the phone; I could hear the keys of a keyboard clicking in the background. “This might be great timing, actually, to tell you that your father and I are planning a business trip during the Christmas holidays.”

I closed my eyes, prepared for what was to come.

“So you should stay at the school, rest up and get as much studying in as possible. Just because your marks don’t come to the end of the year doesn’t mean you can slack off and study at the end. You need to keep ahead of everything now Sidney.”

“Yes Mum.” I murmured, not bothering to argue. I’d be more surprised if they were actually going to be home for the holidays.

“Good, well if we don’t talk to you before Christmas, Merry Christmas. Goodbye Sidney.”

“Goodbye Mum,” I murmured into the dial tone before letting my phone fall onto the mattress beside my head. I let my eyes closed for a few blissful moments, almost considering taking a nap before the thump at my door had me jumping up in bed.

“Yeah.” I called out, scrambling off my bed and heading to the door. Thea pushed it open.

“We need to leave for the meeting or we’re going to be late.” Thea said, her eyes darting to the clock in my room. I cursed when I saw the time.

“Sorry I forgot.” I said to her, grabbing my phone from my bed and bag from my armchair.

I rushed past Thea and lead the way out of the house and down to Francis.

“Are you okay? You don’t normally forget stuff like this?” Thea asked.

I shot her a smile. “Fine, just got distracted talking to my parents.”

Toran answered the door, her eyes narrowed and her hair was slowly falling out of her perfectly braided her. I paused. It was the most frazzled I had ever seen her look.

“About time.” She hissed, grabbing my wrist and tugging me inside. “They’re all driving me mad. The boys can’t even look at each without sniping and I swear I’m going to punch the Mary’s leader. She is such a bitch.”

Thea rushed behind me, both of us sharing surprised looks. Toran was always so well composed, never letting anything affect her.

The room was quiet when we entered. Louis and Liam stood on one side of the room. Both stiff with their arms crossed shooting off unwelcome vibes all around the room. Eleanor stood not far from them, her eyes occasionally moving to Louis, unsure of her welcome even though she was on their side.

I looked across the room where Camden lay sprawled across one of the couches, leaving only enough room for his next in line: Ripley. Ripley was the complete opposite of Camden; he was actually nice. The small smile he offered Thea and I was proof enough, Camden only smirked.

The two Mary’s girls were set up on an armchair. The leader, Lillian, sat picking at her nails; her blond hair was long and curled immaculately. Her eyes didn’t even meet ours. The girl next to her was like a littler version of Lillian, I didn’t know her name.

Daniel Alston, leader of Emmanuel stepped forward. He was taller, massively tall, overshadowing the guy next to him who I wouldn’t exactly class as small either. What was the most surprising was the nod he sent in my direction. Except it wasn’t aimed at me. I turned to Thea in surprise; she was already blushing darkly and weakly waved back at the Emmanuel leader.

Louis was gaping at the space between the both of them before turning to me for answers. I shrugged, I had no idea that Thea had even talked to Daniel Alston let alone enough to warrant an acknowledgment.

“Great now that Sidney has graced us with her presence can we get this started. I would like all the murderous rage to leave before it actually ends in murder.” Toran interrupted the stiff silence that still filled the room; she took a seat on the couch. Eleanor immediately fell down next to her, seeming to be filled with a relief now that her leader was in the room.

“First of all, introduction. This is Eleanor. My next in command.” Toran looked around waiting for the next person to offer up.

“Thea, next leader of Grace.” I said, pulling Thea onto the couch next to Toran. I felt Louis and Liam take a step forward so their hands rested against the back of the couch the four of us sat on. I tried not to roll my eyes at the way he staked his claim on us.

“Liam, Kings.” Louis said.

“This is Caitlin.” Lillian, leader of Mary’s, said without looking up from her nails. The girl next to her nervously smiled around the room.

“This lovely fellow is Ripley.” Camden, nudged the guy at the other end of his couch, with his foot.

“Emmanuel’s next leader is Turner.” Daniel’s voice boomed through the room. Turner stepped forward, closer to his leader. Their shoulders were just as wide but Daniel has almost a whole head taller then Turner, despite the fact that Turner would be taller than me.

The meeting fell into the usual rounds, discussing the last couple of fundraisers, the money that was raised and the tally over the most won games so far. Toran didn’t last long on the last point, hoping to stave off the tension that further built in the room.

“After the break the first week is neutral. No pranks, no games and no fighting. That will be the week that our old leaders will come and visit to make sure that everything is working out fine. Nothing is to go wrong in those weeks.” Toran’s eyes snapped to Louis, who still stood behind her.

“After that it’s all fair game.” Louis commented as he glared across the room. “Well as fair as it can be when we already no I’ve won.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The silence in the room was almost painful.

“You look a little too sure of yourself there Tomlinson.” Camden sat up from where he had been lying. His eyes were narrowed in on Louis. “You’re always hiding behind those pranks of yours, never being a real man and actually confronting one of us.”

“You wouldn’t want me to do that Camden.” Louis was walking around the couch. Toran slumped back and stared resigned at the boys.

“There’s four of us and only two of you.” Daniel Alston stepped forward. Ripley and Turner followed. Liam took up Louis’ back and I thought for a second that he might try to reason with his leader. Instead by the way his hands clinched at his side I knew that he wasn’t going to be the voice of reason here.

Thea looked to me, wide-eyed.

“Welcome to idiots 101.” I grumbled out before getting out of my chair and walking between the testosterone filled boys.

“Let’s go,” I nudged Louis chest. “I will call security.” I said louder, when none of the boys made a move.

With some grumbles and Thea joining my side, the boys all left the house. Toran called out a mild thank you behind them all. Lillian flounced off to her house without a backwards glance.

I was caught in surprise when Daniel grabbed onto Thea’s arm. She jumped too, her eyes wide and staring at Daniel.

“Are you alright after the other day? You were upset.” Daniel asked gently. Thea seemed to calm down, a blush filling her cheeks again.

“Y-yeah I’m okay.” She smiled. I watched, unbelieving at the way Daniel still held onto her arms.

“Oi, what are you doing?” Louis pushed past me and headed towards the two of them, ripping Thea out of Daniel’s grasp. Thea turned to panic as Louis held her behind his body. “Don’t touch her,” he growled out.

Daniel glared, rising up to his full height while Turner appeared behind him. Liam was ambling back towards us.

“You don’t have a claim on her Tomlinson. If I want to talk to Thea, I can.” Daniel countered.

I was surprised that he wanted to talk to Thea at all. Thea looked just as shocked, stuck behind Louis by the force of his grip.

“Why do you want to?” Louis hissed out. He was moving closer to Daniel, I think he had forgotten Thea behind him.

“Well how else can you ask a girl out?” Daniel mock-whispered to Louis then laughed when Louis’ face went an angry red. He threw a wink behind Louis’ shoulder to a stunned Thea before turning and walking away. His stride easy and confident, clapping Turner on the shoulder and leading him home.

“Why are you talking to Alston.” Louis didn’t ask, he demanded. Thea was flushed, all the attention focused on her now.

“I-I don’t.” She whispered out. Louis was still holding onto her.

“Well don’t. Don’t talk to him Thea. And you can’t date him. Don’t even go near him.” Louis was yelling now, letting go of Thea to gesture wildly around them. “He’s not a good person and I thought you were smarter then that. I mean you clearly have better taste since you’ve been crushing on me.”

“Louis!” I yelled angrily. He paused, horrified after his outburst.

Thea was bright red and looked close to tears. I rushed forward, grabbing onto her shoulder, pulling her away.

“You are an idiot.” I hissed at him before turning and marching Thea back to Grace.

“It’s okay, I’m okay.” Thea kept murmuring. “I mean of course he knew. Everyone knew. It’s just one thing to know and another for him to yell it in my face you know? Like way to set it in stone that he doesn’t like me, or whatever.” She was rambling unable to stop by the time we got through the front door.

Rhiannon took one look at her and came up to the other side, helping me lead her up the stairs. There were tears in her eyes and her hands were shaking. Caydance met us halfway up the stairs, someone must have told her.

“He’s a dickhead. Biggest wanker.” Caydance took Thea from us, taking her into Thea’s room and closing the door behind them.

“So the meetings went as well as they usually do then.” Rhiannon said from beside me as we stared at Thea’s closed door.

“Daniel Alston basically told Louis that he wanted to ask out Thea and Louis responded by yelling at Thea and stating that he knew she had a crush on him.” I explained to her.

Her eyes widened in shock. “Okay so the meeting was even worse then they usually are.” She murmured. Like me, I could tell, she was dying to go in there and comfort Thea. But Caydance had this. Caydance always looked after her own.

We both eventually walked away, heading down to the kitchen. Rhiannon automatically began pulling out mugs while I boiled the kettle.

“Gemma coming the first week back after holidays?” Rhiannon asked, referring to the house leader before me. I nodded at her.

“Yep, one whole blissful week of peace.” I sighed out to her, leaning against a counter. I felt a little woozy after tonight’s drama.

“Have your parents talked to you about the holidays?” Rhiannon asked gently, her eyes focused on spooning sugar into our cups.

“There off on some business trip.” I said.

She looked up, bright. “Guess you can spend Christmas with my family again.” She said happily.

I protested. “Rhiannon I can’t. I’ve already done it enough. I can’t keep intruding in on your family and their Christmas.

“You are not intruding. Come on, you were my first ever friend at Uni. You and me are practically sisters and my family loves you. My Gran already asked if you were coming over for the holidays. Needed to know if she should bring the presents that she already bought you.”

I sighed at Rhiannon’s tactic of using her sweet old Grandma who always got her way.

“Fine,” I grumbled, pouring the hot water into our cups.

Rhiannon beamed and said no more, pouring the milk in and stirring. I sighed but smiled, wrapping my arms around her waist to press our cheeks together in thanks.

-

Niall’s feet bounced in the corner of my eye. I shoved them off the library table and shot him a glare. He rolled his eyes and sat up, playing with the pages in his textbook.

“So you never go home for Christmas?” Niall asked. His voice was gentle as if he was afraid to broach a sensitive topic.

I shrugged, leaning back in my chair to stare at him. His snapback was pushed backwards, small piece of blonde hair flicking out between the gaps. I smiled fondly. “Sometimes I do, but mostly, in the last couple of years I’ve ended up at Rhiannon’s. It’s not big deal. They obviously think I’m old enough not to worry about all the family stuff and I have a lot of fun at Rhiannon’s.” I reasoned with him. It wasn’t as heartbreaking at it had been the first year.

He went silent, his eyes actually focused on his textbook. I took it as the end of the conversation and turned back to mine.

Only a paragraph later did his foot nudge against mine. I looked up to see him already staring across the table.

“You could stay at mine, you know, for Christmas?” Niall was blushing, his hands fidgeting in front of me. I was surprised by his offer and his nervousness. Niall was always relaxed and easy going with everything. I hadn’t seen him so nervous, not even when he first asked me out. He probably could have been less confident when he did that.

“Thanks, but Rhiannon already told her family I was coming with her.” I told him and nudged my foot back against his warmly. His smile only fell a little before he nodded and relaxed back in his seat.

Despite the fact that I had already agreed to Rhiannon, I was terrified of going to Niall’s family. We hadn’t been dating that long and Niall was too relaxed with everything to understand the importance of brining me home for Christmas. Would play if off as if it was Liam or Zayn. Meeting the family and actually staying there for a couple of weeks was not something that either of us was ready for, especially when I didn’t see Niall taking what we had that seriously.

-

I finished with my classes for the day, heading out of a lecture room as the sun began to set. I trudged through the Great Court the lights slowly blinking to life.

By the time I reached Grace house there was only a sliver of red and yellow across the skyline, the first stars of the night could already be seen.

I walked into complete chaos, the door swinging shut behind me, I almost stepped back out.

“Sidney, I’m having trouble with a tutor. He hates me. I think I’m going to fail.”

“Are we allowed to date Emmanuel and Cromwell boys now? Daniel Alston asked out Thea right? Is there a rule against that?”

“Couple of the first years haven’t done their chores for tonight and I can’t find them anywhere.”

“Olivia thinks she’s pregnant.”

I paused and turned to the last voice; Rhiannon was staring at me her eyes wide, and her lip red and heavily bitten with worry.

“Has she taken a test?” I asked immediately.

Rhiannon shook her head. “She’s panicking in her room right now.”

I sighed. “Can you run to the drug store and grab a packet?”

Rhiannon nodded, heading out the door straight away.

I turned back to the people impatiently waiting in front of me. “Tell the first years that if they haven’t done their chores by tomorrow they will be on dish duty until the end of the year.

“Yes you are allowed to date from any of the houses. There is never a rule against that. However, do not spread rumours about your fellow house sisters.

“And lastly, show me all the work you have done for the class so far and why you think the tutor hates you or has marked you down. Come see me at breakfast tomorrow with it all. We can talk about it then.”

I cleared everything up before heading up the stairs. I headed straight for Olivia’s room, knocking on the door and peeking inside.

Thea was curled up with a sobbing Olivia.

“Rhiannon is getting a test for you to take.” I said gently, dropping my bag in the corner and crawling onto the bed opposite of Thea so Olivia laid cradled between us. I ran my fingers gently through her hair.

“How long has it been since you had your period?” I asked.

“Two weeks and this morning I vomited.” Olivia sniffled out. Thea shot me a worried look.

“Hey this isn’t too unnatural. Plenty of people can go a whole month or two without their period. You could have been sick this morning just because you’ve worked yourself up.” I said to her, rubbing her shoulders.

“It was only a fling and I can’t remember if we used anything. I’m so stupid.” Olivia grumbled, burying her face further into Thea’s stomach.

“You’re going to be okay.” Thea murmured.

Rhiannon came running back in not long later, her face flushed and slightly sweater. She thrust the bag at me.

“I had to hide from Connor so I didn’t scare him to death.” She gestured to the test before joining Thea on the bed while I dragged Olivia into the bathroom. I waited outside as she peed on the stick. We headed back to her room afterwards, the stick carefully sitting on a piece of toilet paper.

Caydance almost chocked on water when she saw what we were carrying but thankfully stayed out of it, letting us close the door behind us without questions.

Olivia fiddled for the minutes it took for the test to work. Her eyes glassy and her breaths coming quick. I rubbed her back gently and tried to find a way to pass he time.

Thea’s phone alarm made me jump.

“It’s time.” Thea said, turning it off.

Olivia took a deep breath and picked the stick up and the instruction. She squinted and frowned between the both of them before letting out a long breath. “I’m not pregnant.” She fell back on the bed, a smile lighting up her face.

I breathed out in relief, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

“Make an appointment tomorrow with a Doctor and I can take you in so we can find out why you don’t have your period.” I told her, patting her stomach before leaving Thea and Rhiannon to celebrate with the relieved girl.

I finally made it into my own room, turning on the light and throwing my bag in the direction of my desk. I was exhausted and the thought of sleeping was too addicting.

I almost screamed when a hand covered my mouth.

“S’just me.” Niall whispered into my ear, stepping around and coming face to face with me.

I slapped his arm and drew away from his hand. “You idiot. You scared the crap out of me and what are you doing up here? You know you’re not allowed in my room.” I grumbled at him, glancing back to make sure my door had shut behind me.

“I snuck in,” he shrugged, going to sit on my bed, sprawling backwards. “I’ve been waiting in here forever, what took you so long? Your class ended over an hour ago.”

I sighed and gave into the temptation to curl up next to Niall. I chucked my shoes in one corner and bounced on the bed next to him. He shifted over, his hand coming down to run through my hair much like I had done to Olivia’s, while I curled myself around his left arm.

“Had to deal with everyone’s problems and a pregnancy scare.”

Niall stiffened next to me.

“Not mine,” I laughed, slapping his stomach. “One of the other girls but it’s okay. False alarm.”

Niall relaxed underneath me and I let out another snort. Like I would ever risk a chance of falling pregnant while still studying.

“So why did you sneak up here?” I asked him, playing with the fingers that were entwined with mine.

“Just wanted to see you.” He murmured, his voice sounding sleepy. It would be nice, to fall asleep, and wake up next to Niall in the morning.

A knock at the door made us both jump up. My heart rate rose and I quickly shoved Niall off my bed.

“Quick, you’ve got to go out the window.” I said, starting to push Niall in that direction. He resisted.

“Are you kidding me?”

“You have to go out there, they can’t know you’re here. You’re not supposed to be here.” I pushed him harder as three more knock sounded through the door.

“You’re on the third story.” Niall hissed, gesturing at the window.

“There’s a tree there!”

“I am not going out that window.” Niall refused to move further, his hands crossing over his chest.

I tried to glare at him but he wouldn’t budge. I deflated. “You are the worst, hide in my cupboard.”

More knocked sounded at the door and Thea’s voice called out. Niall squished behind my clothes and I shut the door in his face before he could say anything.

I quickly rushed to the door and pulled it open on a worried looking Thea.

“What took you so long?” She asked, peering behind me.

“I was uh, asleep.” I murmured.

“Right, well I thought I would just let you know that Olivia’s fallen asleep and that she seemed okay after you left. In case you were worried.” Thea added.

I nodded smiling and begun to shut my door. “Well that’s great. Goodnight, see you in the morning.”

I almost had the door shut before Thea’s voice broke through. “Yeah Goodnight, tell Niall I said Goodnight too.”

I pushed the door wide open and stared at her in shock. She only winked at me and turned to head down the stairs.

I groaned, hoping that she wouldn’t tell Caydance.

“Can I come out now?” Niall’s voice was muffled through the cupboard. I sighed and leant my head on my now closed door.

I swayed slightly, white stars filling my vision.

“You okay?” Niall asked, suddenly at my side, both hands on either side of my waist.

“Yeah, just got a little dizzy. Guess I’m more tired then I thought.” I said.

Niall gently guided me away from the door and over to the bed, he pulled the blanket down enough so we could both climb in.

“You need rest.” He murmured, pressing a kiss to my forehead and letting me wrap myself around him. I found it easy to sleep with a warm body pressed against mine, or maybe it was just a warm Niall that made it easier to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always thank you for reading lovelies! :) xx