Honey

one

I sat on the porch swing, lazily pushing back and forth as I waited for Katie, my best friend, to come up the long, dirt driveway. It was oppressively hot, the kind of heat that constitutes taking the day off and spending it by the pool, the beach, or just staying inside somewhere with the air conditioning on high.

Despite the heat, all of the farm hands – minus my father, who was in town with my mother - were busy watering the pigs and horses, making sure the animals were as comfortable as possible. I could see the barn from where I sat and I watched as Jared came out of the big, red double doors with a bale of hay on his shoulder. His tanned skin glistened with sweat as he hefted the hay over the fence and into the horse pen. He repeated the process three more times before he grabbed a pitch fork and started breaking up the bales as the horses started coming closer. He was just finishing when Molly – my horse – nudged his shoulder with her nose. Jared patted her gently before letting himself out of the pen and removing the rough, leather work gloves he wore. He wiped at his brow and pushed his lengthy hair back out of his face, his hazel eyes found me and he grinned, giving me a wave. I smiled and waved back, thinking of the pitcher of sweet tea my mother had made earlier that morning and knowing that Jared would most likely be very happy if I brought him a glass. I got myself up from the swing and poured him a glass of iced tea; I checked my appearance in the mirror – tucking my hair behind me ears – before heading out towards the barn. Jared had gone back to work inside, I stood in the doorway watching his shoulders flex as he laid new hay in the horse's cleaned stalls.

“Hey,” I called, getting his attention, he looked up from his work and smiled politely.

“Hi,” He replied.

“Thirsty?” I asked, walking into the barn and stopping just shy of the stall he was working in. I held the glass out to him and he took it with a thank you, “How's it going out here?”

“It's hot,” Jared said, pulling off one of his gloves to push his hair back. I eyed his toned arms, chewing on the inside of my lip.

“Supposed to be hotter tomorrow,” I smiled as he took another drink, “But at least you'll be off.”

“Yeah,” He sighed, “Just have to figure out what I'm gonna do with myself.”

“I'm sure you'll think of something,” I leaned against the wood frame of the stall, looking up at him sweetly, “You could sleep in, to start with.”

“Ah,” He smiled, “I'm up by sunrise nearly every day.” He finished off the tea as the sound of a vehicle coming up the drive way pulled me over to the open door. I checked to see if it was Katie's SUV, but it was the mailman instead, “Waitin' on someone?”

“Katie's supposed to come over,” I said, turning back to look at him with a smile, “We're going down to the lake with some of her friends from college.”

“Boys?” Jared smirked, “You better not let your Daddy find out.”

“I'm grown,” I replied, looking out the barn door again before saying over my shoulder, “I'm not interested in any of them, anyway.” I glanced back at him cautiously to see his reaction. I blushed when I caught his eyes wandering over my bare legs.

“That don't mean they won't be lookin' at you,” His eyes came back to my face and he knew I'd caught him, “Can I bother you for some more tea?”

“No bother,” I assured him, trying to hide my giddiness, “You wanna come in for a little bit? Get outta this heat?”

“Sounds good to me,” He said, closing the wooden gate to the stall and leaving his gloves atop it. We walked towards the house, Jared matching my pace as I stole looks at him. I entered the house first, kicking my flip flops off and holding the door open for him. I watched as he pulled his work boots off, he knew how protective my momma was of her permanently clean floors. I lead him into the kitchen where he leaned against the counter as I pulled the tea out of the fridge. I took the glass from Jared, our fingers brushing, and poured him a new glass, “Thanks, Corrie.”

“You're welcome,” I grinned, replacing the tea. I caught sight of the sink, the dishes my momma had asked me to wash before I left and sighed a bit. I crossed the room while Jared watched and turned the hot water on.

“Didn't do your chores?” He smiled, sweat was still gleaming off his toned arms and shoulders.

“Forgot,” I said with a small smile and a shrug. I started working on the dishes as Jared looked on, making small talk with me as I stole peeks at his muscled frame. A few minutes later I was nearly done and I realized that the delicate gold band I always wore on my middle finger had slipped off without me noticing. I turned the water off, my heart in my throat as I peered down into the drain – I could see the sharp blades of the disposal and winking back at me, was the band, “My ring,” I said, trying to will myself to reach down there for it.

“What's wrong?” Jared asked, coming to stand beside me.

“My ring came off,” I said, reaching for it, but pulling my hand back.

“Let me,” He said, without a though he reached his fingers down, between the blades. I looked away as he bravely retrieved my ring and set it on the counter before me.

“Thank you,” I murmured as he washed his hands and I slipped the band onto my thumb this time, I placed a hand on his bicep.

“It's nothing, Corrie,” He said softly, turning the water off and drying his hands. I looked out the window as I pulled my hand away from him, my palm tingling from the contact between his skin and mine, I resisted my urge to touch him again. I realized how close we were and I looked up at Jared to find his eyes already focused on me, “You've got pretty eyes,” He said, his tone still low, making me blush.

“Thank you,” I said giving in to the urge to touch him and reaching my fingers out to brush his forearm. Jared didn't pull away at first, but ultimately he did, my heart sinking as he made his way towards the hallway.

“I should get back to work,” He said, shaking himself from whatever was happening between us, “Have fun.”

“Don't work too hard,” I offered, doing my best not to look disappointed as he slipped out of the kitchen. I could hear him putting his boots on as I turned the water back on to finish up. I'd barely gotten my hands wet when I heard footsteps coming back my way.

“Be careful,” Jared said, “At the lake. I don't know who all you're going with, but if there's a lot of guys there just watch yourself. A pretty girl like you, they'll be lining up to talk to you.”

I blushed at his comment, “It's just a few friends, Jared.”

He nodded, “Alright.”

“Alright,” I returned, unsure of what to say. Seeing concern in his eyes, but there was something else there too. Was that a trace of jealousy? He hesitated before turning away, going back into the hallway. I listened as he walked out the front door and I could see him crossing the field back to the barn. I waited a few minutes before making my way back to the porch swing to wait for Katie, still trying to decipher Jared's words and looks.

Jared had started working on the farm when I was fourteen and ever since he'd been the object of my desire. At first it'd been just a school girl crush, butterflies when he would ask me about my day, giggling at the jokes he'd tell, secretly watching him while he worked. As I got older, though, I'd find myself flirting with him even actively planning out ways to make our paths cross. I'd begun stopping by the barn when I would get home from school and now from work, he didn't seem to mind. There were times when I would catch him looking at me in a way that was more than friendly and the idea of him seeing me as more than his boss's daughter kept me pining after him.

I stood up when I saw Katie's Jeep coming down the driveway, I looked over to the barn to see Jared standing in the doorway. I goodbye to him as the SUV came to a stop and I opened the door, he waved back and I got in.

“Hey,” I said to Katie, who was looking at Jared.

“Hey,” She replied, waving at him and turning to me, “You get that yet?”

“Shut up,” I laughed as she put her SUV into reverse and we were on our way.
♠ ♠ ♠
i started another story. :c