Status: This is only one chapter of this short story. More chapters will be released at later dates.

Holic

Chapter: I

The corded cobblestone pathway laid bare in the dusk of night. Echoes from plagued suffering in the neighboring streets were all that could be heard. The screams bellowed out in complete delirium and frightened confusion. An intoxicated odor flooded the street that allured stranglers and drug addicts. Trickled crimson blood dripped from street curbs due the bodies that laid wrapped in bloody torn fabrics which lined the decaying streets. A fatigue fourteen-year-old boy crawled out of a crack in one of the nearby buildings. He looked up with his cloudy blue and gold eyes to witness a black smog filled sky. His sleeves have become torn from his dirty baggy shirt due to the harsh terrain. It exposed his drug ridden arms. Tears fell from his messy face as he listened to several large metal clanking hoover crafts nearing. In fear, he grabbed nearby corpses and pulled them over his body to conceal himself from the lights. The ground beneath the boy began to vibrate as the crafts neared even more. All the boy smelled, were the rotting remains of flesh of those that perished. From a distance, he saw one of the crafts stop, and three men grappled swiftly to the ground. There suits consisted of thick brown leather, and upon there faces were gas masks. He listened to the heavy breathing that became distorted through the filters in there masks. With there old rusty guns they pulled out, they flipped on a switch and turn on a flickering light. He knew what the strange men were doing. They were searching for survivors to cleanse, but there interpretation of cleansing involves ridding them of this world. The small boy held his breath so the men that neared would not notice. Tears poured from his face even more while he watched each step they took. One of the three men stopped in front of the little boy and searched the vicinity. In fear, the boy closed his eyes and prayed that his presences would not be known. He didn’t wish to be cleansed. The man’s breath floated around his mask when he exhaled into the frigid night. His hands tightened upon his gun while he inspected the massive pile of corpses. In further curiosity, the man lowered and began to flip a few of the corpses. Beginning to tremble, the boy struggled to stay still. He opened his eyes and saw large shredded boots of the man that stood in front of him. From the craft ship, one of the two men screamed aloud that they had to return home. Air around the boy felt still as the man paused to release the corpse. Since the man was ignorant, he did not heed the little boys being. In weariness, the terrifying man walked towards the others to return home.

The little boy struggled with his weak body to remove the corpses that were on top of him. He realized that he had to keep moving so he didn’t become detected by another patrol. The brisk air of the night made the boy shiver the further he walked upon the decaying street. Bodies appeared endless throughout the barren old town. It’s as if the entire town were laying on the streets dead while they watched him walk. Men, women, and children of various sorts fell to this damnation. No one escaped the pain and suffering that plagued this town. Frigid blowing wind and thick dense clouds of flies that surrounded rotting corpses were the only noises that could be heard. After so many years, the boy grew accustomed to the misery, but curtain sights will never become justified in his mind. The men he saw earlier are more monsters than the plague itself that fell upon the town. They get amusement of witnessing the dying scream and bleed out. There form of cleansing is nothing but bloodshed upon this world, yet they are the ones that run it. Fog soon rolled in and grew dense. It wasn’t time to travel in such blindness. He knew he had to seek safety at that point. While his shaking hand reached for his lighter, he stumbled into a nearby destroyed building. The lighter took a few flicks to light, but when it did, all he could see were four people hanging from nooses. It was a family that desired to end there lives instead of enduring the severity of the plague. The father, mother, son, and daughter were all strung up from the collapsed ceiling. He recognized the family from before the plague. In anger, he threw the lighter at the broken wall and fell to his swore knees and began to sob. These people didn’t deserve to die, he thought to himself. The family was the most wonderful neighbors anyone could ask to have. He too had a strong crush towards the daughter. Unfortunately, he never had the chance to tell her due to his shyness. To behold them dead in front of him, made the boy blind with rage. Blood dripped from his fists as he began to punch the wall, but due to his heavy fatigue, he tired himself and collapsed upon the ground. Panting in weariness, he curled into a ball on the floor and looked at the corpse of the daughter and fell asleep in tears and blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
[UPDATE: Now edited]