Status: This is only one chapter of this short story. More chapters will be released at later dates.

Holic

Chapter: II

The lights flickered periodically as the boy continued to lay upon the fractured floor of the destroyed home. His eyes wearily opened, and with a blurred glance, he noticed a bright orb shift its way into the room. Since he was fatigued, he could not manage to move any part of his scar ridden body. This bright and oddly warm orb lowered down next to his face and paused for a moment. All the boy could do, is stare at the phenomenon; however, he did not feel worried or scared. It was as if the orb stared back at him. The floor beneath him began to jade and crumble to show a vast deep void. The family that was stung up from the ceiling dematerialized the more he fell into the void. Lights flashed by the boys vision while he fell. Memories that tried to play in the air in front of him resembled that of old projection videos. Every single one of the memories that passed him by, he remembered distinctly. The one was of his family, before the world became plagued. He remembered that at one point of his life, he was truly happy, and did not have a single care in the world. They all were laughing and eating a picnic in a luscious and serene park. It then began to flicker and click, as if the next slide was replacing it as it fast forwarded a few years. The next scene was again of him and his parents, but only a few days before the plague. Citizens were hiding in fear as the drug ridden feral individuals were terrorizing large populated cities. Riots had begun due to this epidemic. Companies of the world devised a new powerful drug that they hoped would stabilize the country’s economy; however, the drug they constructed, was immensely potent. They deemed this drug, SoulGen, and in its ingredients were human souls. The process in which the sacrifices had to go through, were horrendous and each suffered utter agony. The film began to flicker once more and sped up to the day that changed the world. Tears began to drip down the sides of his cheeks as he saw the innocent of the world rip ascender. Screams echoed within his mind as the void that surrounded him began to swirl violently. His blood pressure rose, for all he could see was a sea full of corpses.

He finally hit the ground, but felt absolutely no pain. As the screams continued in his mind, he looked up with blood shot eyes and saw a horde of feral beings. The now decaying bodies stared at the boy as there bodies began to twitch. While the boy arose, it felt as if the air was on fire. Pain surged up his limbs, but he could not open his mouth to scream. All the boy could do is pent up the distress as he managed to take a step forward. When he did, it alerted the entirety of the feral individuals, and suddenly reacted and began to run towards the boy. The harder he tried to flee, the more his skin felt like as if were laced in flames. As soon as the ferals reached him, they suddenly evaporated into the red cloudy sky. Afterwards, the corpses on the ground began to grab ahold of the small boy’s ankles. In incredible fear, the boy struggled desperately to free himself, but all he could do, is stand in fear idly. The smell of the corpses grew the lower his body descended into the pile. With the only ability to cry in fear, the boy accepted his death. From above, the very same white warm orb as before lowered next to him and began to stare into his eyes. Fear gradually eased out of the boy’s mind as the orb gave him an odd feeling of comfort. In ease, he closed his eyes, and his decent ceased.

After a several minutes of darkness, the boy managed to open his eyes. He noticed that he was laying back on the floor of the destroyed building. The room was lit up from it being morning, and the fog from the following night had vanished. He was relieved that everything that he had seen, was no more than a night terror. The ground beneath him started to shake and he knew that he had to keep moving. Inspectors in the gas masks were now making there run through that part of the district. When the boy arose, he looked up once more at the family. In forlorn, he reached inside his left pocket and pulled out a small metallic heart shaped necklace. The condition of the necklace was not at its peak, but it was the best the boy could get ahold of before the plague. He originally intended to give it to her as a sweet gift, but he never had the chance. Quietly and respectfully, he tied the necklace around the young girl’s icy stiff wrist. As soon as he felt her frigid skin, he instantly desired to cry, but could not anymore. He held in his strength for her, for he knew that he had to live for them both from there on out.