Status: This story does not follow along with The Walking Dead story. It is my own, but some of the characters are from The Walking Dead

Among the Dead

What I Dreaded

Alex

When I awoke the next morning, the sky outside was dreary and gray, as I saw small raindrops upon the window. I had completely forgot about the happenings of last night, until I saw Alice and Violet laying in my bed next to me. The entire scene replayed in my head, making my heart sink. I shook Alice awake, needing someone who didn't look dead to comfort me.
"Alice, wake up!" I whispered.
Alice jerked awake, pulling a revolver from her hand under her pillow.
"Dammit, Alice! What the hell is that for?!" I practically screamed, ducking under my pillow. As if that would be any help.
"Wha-? Wha happen?" Violet sprung awake from my screaming.
"Shit, Al! You scared the piss outta me!" Alice said, running a hand through her hair. Sighing in relief, she set the gun down.
"Would you like to explain to me why the hell you have a gun under your pillow?!" I asked.
"Oh, you know what can happen to a girl when she's alone!" Alice replied as if it was no big deal that she almost shot my brains out.
"But you're not alone!"
"Why does Alice have a gun?" Violet asked, finally awake enough to comprehend what was going on.
"I have no clue. That's what I'm trying to figure out!" I responded to Violet.
"It doesn't matter! It's just a gun!" Alice said, dramatically.
"Just a gun?! Okay....it's just a gun, Violet. It's okay that she just pointed it at my head a minute ago. It's just a gun." I remarked sarcastically.
"Alex! Please! You're making a mountain out of a molehill! Look! The hammer wasn't even pulled back!"
"Just because the hammer wasn't pulled back doesn't make it any more okay to shove a damn gun in my face!"
"Enough, you two. Just shut up." Violet demanded, pinching the bridge of her nose.
I sat back with a huff. "Just put it away before one of my brothers sees it. Lord knows they'd use it on you if they saw it in your hands."
The room became very quiet after Alice returned it to her purse. I knew we were all thinking the same thing.
"So.....what...what do we do about Mara?" Violet asked, her head propped up on her hand. I sighed. "I don't know."
"Call her," Alice suggested.
I looked over at her. "Should I? What if she doesn't pick up?"
"And what if she does? Call her," Alice commanded more than suggested this time.
I sighed, and reached for my phone. I flipped through the contacts until I found her name. I hesitated before pressing call.
I prayed for her to pick up with every second that passed.
Please, Mara. Don't be dead. Don't be eaten by that...thing.
By the fourth ring, I knew she wouldn't pick up. I stayed optimistic, but I knew.
"Hi! This is Mara! I'm sorry I can't get to my phone right now, but if you leave a message I may or may not get back to you, depending on wether I like you enough! Have a great rest of your day!"
Beep!
"Hi, Mara, it's Alex! I uh....I was just checking in on you since the party last night. It....it got a little crazy. Listen, just.....just call me back, 'kay? Okay....bye."
I pressed end.
"We have to go over there," I said, keeping my eye on my phone, a really bad feeling settling in the pit of my stomach.
"You think that'll make any bit of difference?" Alice asked.
"Yeah, Al, it will. That way we would know for sure. I have to know what happened. I have to." I replied.
She nodded her head. "Okay....let's go."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Sorry this chapter is so short! And sorry not much action is going on. As I promised before, it gets a lot better! Just bare with me! I just really wanted to get the beginning of the apocalypse instead of just jumping right into it.
Questions or comments, just ask! Thank you! :D
Review, my lovelies!
Enjoy!