Status: This story does not follow along with The Walking Dead story. It is my own, but some of the characters are from The Walking Dead

Among the Dead

Right At Me

Cort

The Next Day

I was on my way to work at Maloney's bar when I started thinking about Alex. When she stormed up the stairs, and slammed the door, she never came out. I didn't even see her this morning. I knocked and talked, I called her, I texted her. Hell, I even thought about climbing in through her window, but thought it was against my better judgement.
When she told me she had a date with that Officer Mills dick, I didn't know if I was hearing her correctly. Once I processed it, I was livid. Alexandra is eighteen, and that piece of shit is like...thirty! That's like fucking a minor! She's jail bait.....and for a cop! What did he have that she would want? Besides his haunting good looks, and his desire to "keep the peace"? She was way out of his league. Not to mention, way younger than him. If I ever see that pretty boy asshole ever again, I'll shoot him!
I knew that Mills wasn't the only reason my baby sister was mad at me. I was being an ass wipe about dinner, but hey! A man's gotta eat! I also knew that she was pissed about Roman and I not believing in her "cannibal" stories, and joking that she was tripping. If you heard someone talking about a bunch of wild, mad men running about, taking a bite into anything that walks, you would think they were on drugs, too. Alex wasn't one to make stuff up, so I was kind of conflicted on what to believe here. She's really a good person, and I knew that she hadn't and wouldn't do drugs. It's just that if I were to believe her, then I'd look like a dumbass. But if I didn't believe her, then I would look like a jackass.
I rubbed my eyes as I stopped in the left lane of an intersection. I leaned my elbow on the window, my head in my hand, trying to figure out what to do with Alex. Nothing seemed to be working out for me.
All of a sudden, a huge semi truck sped from the right lane, swerving, and hit a little white car stopped in the right lane.
It all happened in slow motion. The truck spun out of control, and fell to its side from the impact, before hitting anyone else. All the cars that were moving from the green light skidded to a halt as the truck slid across the pavement, preventing them from going further.The white car was pushed by the truck from its parked spot upon the street, and it hit a passing car before it flew from the street, and flipped seven times before screeching to a stop on its side. This all happened in the span of 12 seconds. My heart jumped into my throat and I jumped out of my car, and sprinted over to the car that was hit by the white car.
"You okay, man?" I asked the middle aged man.
He looked up at me, a deep red gash in the upper left corner of his forehead. He nodded, but looked to be in pain.
"Alright, just hang in there. We're calling help," I reassured him.
"Wh-what the hell happened?" he questioned, looking around at all the stopped cars and people getting out to observe the situation.
"I don't know," I answered. "Just hang in there," I repeated.
I sprinted over to the white car. Everyone started crowding around the piece of metal that once was an automobile. I pushed my way to the front, and looked over a bunch of heads to see an older man cradling the bloody, unconscious woman who I assumed was the driver. The older man looked up at the crowd, and shook his head solemnly. She was dead.
The son of a bitch killed her!
I sprinted over to the semi truck, and was the first to make it to the man. Everybody was afraid to get him out. I climbed up onto the toppled over truck, and opened the passenger door. I kneeled down, and pulled the unconscious driver out by his armpits. I lowered him down onto the pavement before hopping down myself.
"Hey, what the fu-" I started, but stopped dead in my tracks. My breath hitched in my throat, and I just stood there, eyes bugging, staring at what lied before me.
The truck drivers skin was gray, and he had purplish blackish veins that snaked up his neck, and almost made it to his face. They pulsed a deep, vibrant color, and they grew darker with every minute.
Using all of my will power, I knelt down, and checked his pulse, but instantly pulled my hand away. He had an incredibly high fever. He was giving off heat like a furnace.
I stepped back once more, and just stared at him, no clue what to do until the ambulance would come. Suddenly, his unnaturally yellow eyes opened, as did his black mouth. He gaped at the sky, moving his mouth as if chewing, and made a strange gurgle/choking noise as his body jerked in unrhythmic spasms.
And then he looked at me.
Right at me.
He pleaded me with his eyes, but all I could do was stare. He reached his arms out to me, and with one final jerk of his body, he closed his eyes once more.
Completely baffled as to what to do, I stumbled back, and found myself sitting on the curb, the sirens off in the distance.
I couldn't stop staring at him. He obviously had something wrong with him. No single person in good health would have veins like that, or skin that color. The ambulance pulled up, but that didn't tear my eyes away from the mans face. He had passed out with a snarl across his lips, and an eerie feeling set into me.
Is this what Alex was talking about? What if.....?
I pushed that thought away, knowing I was being ridiculous. There was nothing to worry about. But there was still that feeling that I wished he wouldn't wake up again. I was afraid he would see me, afraid to see his eyes again.

»•« »•«

"Hello, sir," I heard as a shadow cast over my head. "I was told you witnessed the accident. It would be a huge help if you could just explain what exactly happened, that would be great. My name is Officer Mills, and if you could just start from the beginning, that would be wonderful."
My head snapped up at the name. I instantly stood, and glared at him. Mills looked up from his writing pad, at me, and looked extremely confused as to why I was glaring at him.
"Is there a problem, sir?" Mills asked, looking concerned.
"Yeah, there is," I answered. "You know my sister, Alex. I heard you two went on a date."
Mills looked even more confused. But then it dawned on him who I was and what I was talking about.
Mills nodded his head in understanding, and smiled.
"You must be Cort. Alex has told me a lot about you," Mills stated, making it seem like they weren't good things.
"Yeah, she's told me a lot about you, too, Officer. A little more than I'd like to know," I sneered back.
God, I hated this guy. He had so much charisma. No wonder she loved him.
"Listen, nothing happened between us. She needed to confide in someone, and I was that someone. Our "date", as you called it, was strictly professional. She needed a shoulder to cry on, and she needed advice, and that's all I gave her. Nothing more, nothing less," Mills explained.
"Sure sounded like a lot more to me the way Alex explained it," I said, coldly.
"Why? How did she explain it?" Mills asked, a little too desperately.
Prick.
"She said you two had a date."
Mills smiled, and said, "That Alex is a pistol, Cort. You never know what's gonna come outta her mouth. I promise you it was professional."
"Good," I said, nodding my approval. "Make for damn sure it stays that way."
"Look, I understand your concern for your younger sister, Cort. But I have to say, that it is none of your business where our relationship goes. That is strictly between myself and Alexandra. Now to the wreck, please," Mills said, getting agitated.
"It is every bit my business, Mills. She's my little sister, and as long as she is alive, and living with me, she's mine. And it is my job to make sure she is safe, and not going out with guys nine years older that her. Got that?" I asked, dangerously.
Mills set his jaw, and was throwing daggers at me. I had gotten to him with the age card. He knew it was weird that he was attracted to an eighteen-year-old when he was almost thirty, even if she is an adult now. It was creepy as hell if you ask me.
"Details," he demanded through clenched teeth.
I smirked at my victory, starting with this morning.
I explained everything up to the moment he had ruined my day. When I explained the part about the man with the veins and the unnaturally high temperature, Mills seemed to tense and get extremely uncomfortable. He knew something about the man that no one else knew.
"Okay, thanks for your time and cooperation," Mills said sarcastically, clicking his pen closed, and sticking it in his shirt pocket. He turned to walk away, but I called out to him before he could leave. He turned around to face me once more, looking less than pleased to have to deal with me again.
"What do you know about the truck driver?" I asked.
"I know all that you told me," he dead panned before turning to leave again.
"No. I know you know more about it. What about the rest? Obviously there is more to the story that you're not telling me," I said, stepping closer to intimidate him.
"It's confidential. Only the city of Cincinnati has the right to the information, and step closer to me again, and I will be sure your next steps are behind bars. We have no use for you, now you may leave," Mills lied.
"Bullshit. Tell me what you know!" I demanded.
"I told you enough. Now good bye," he said, turning once more.
"You haven't told me anything!" I shouted at him, starting to get really pissed off.
"I told you that I knew what was going on, that it was confidential, and, more importantly, that there were more people like him! If that isn't enough for you, then I am sorry about your ignorance! Good day to you, Mr. Darr," Mills exaggerated, walking away once more.
"Ignorant? You simple minded piece of shit!" I yelled, running up to him. Mills turned around, and pushed me away from him before I could lay my hands on him. He grabbed me by the front of my shirt, and got in my face.
He pointed towards my car, and commanded, "Walk away."
He released me, then, so I could carry out his command.
"Stay away from my sister," I said, dangerously, adjusting my shirt.

»•« »•«

The rest of the day went by in a blur. The bar wasn't very busy, and I couldn't get the image of that man out of my head. He was always there. Reaching out to me. But all I could do was stare. I wondered if I could have done something to help him. Anything. The image of his dead, pleading eyes never left me. I went home, and straight to bed. I knew I wouldn't be able to, but I laid there, and tried to erase today.
♠ ♠ ♠
Questions or comments? Just ask!
Review, my lovelies!
Enjoy!