Status: Writing!

The Parting Glass

Chapter 3

Th Parting Glass

Chapter 3

“So, Peggy ready to see the recruits,” I said to Peggy as we got dressed for the first day of training. We were here to help weed out the soldiers who weren’t eligible for the super soldier project.

“Don’t get me started on them, they are all a bunch of men who think they are better than everyone, sexist pigs is what they are not brave soldiers,” She replied as she slipped on her shoes. I laughed lightly walking over to her. She was in her normal uniform while I was prepared for battles and hand to hand combat with the men. My new Green, brown, and white fighting uniform was ready to be stretched out and put to the test, I slipped my guns in their holsters along with the many daggers in their pouches and last my newly sharpened swords were placed in their spots on my back.

“Come on Agent Carter a day of brutal torture awaits,” I smiled walking out of our cabin with her closely behind.

“Recruits, attention! Gentlemen, I’m Agent Carter, and this is Agent Clarke,” Peggy introduced. “I supervise all the operations for this division,” she added.

“What’s with the accent, Queen Victoria?” One recruit asked.

“You see Agent Carter his is why I hate recruits,” I sighed.

“Thought I was signing up for the U.S. army,” the recruit asked.

“What’s your name soldier?” Peggy asked as I walked behind the recruits.

“Gilmore Hodge, your majesty,” he joked.

“Step forward Hodge,” She ordered.

“We gonna wrestle, cause I got a few moves I know you’ll like,” He said before I kicked the back of his knee causing him to fall to the ground.

“Now, now Hodge Agent Carter he doesn’t take to kindly to dimwits so I am doing the pleasure of saving you from embarrassment but don’t worry it will come soon enough when you and I take it the the rink for some boxing. And that goes for the rest of you after your warm ups it is my test and I’m not going easy on you ladies,” I called out walking back to Peggy.

“Agent Carter, Agent Clarke,” Colonel Phillips greeted walking over to us.

“Colonel Phillips,” We greeted back.

“I can see y’all are breaking in the new candidates, that’s good. Get your ass up out of that dirt, and stand up in that lineup at attention until somebody comes and tells you what to do,” Colonel Phillips scolded the recruits.

“Yes sir!” The yelled back.

“General Patterson has said. “War’s are fought with weapons but they are won by men.” We are going to win this war because we have the best men, and because they’re gonna get better. Much, better. The Strategic Scientific Reserve, is an allied effort made up with the best minds of the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history, but every army starts with one man,” Colonel Phillips stated as the soldiers went through warm ups.

“Rogers! Get up from there,” he ordered to the small recruit. “At the end of this week, we will choose that man. He’ll be the first of a new breed of super soldiers,” He continued.

“Rogers get your ass out of that line,” He yelled at the small recruit again. “And they, will personally escort Adolph Hitler through the gates of Hell,” Colonel finished before the recruits were ready for their run.

“All right ladies I will lead the run but I will lead from way ahead of you If you can keep up with me maybe you have a chance, but I’ll have you know that Agent Carter and the jeep can’t even keep up with me,” I told the soldiers before taking off in the run wearing my full gear, swords and all.

“How is she running so fast in all of that!” I heard them say as they ran behind Agent Carter.

“Pick up the pace sweeties. Let’s go, let’s go. Double time. Come on, faster, faster! Move, move!” Colonel Phillips yelled out continuously through the whole run.

“Squad halt!” he ordered once we reached the flag. “That flag means you’re only at the halfway point. First man to bring it to me, gets a ride back with Agent Carter,” Colonel Phillips explained as I stood beside the jeep.

“Move, move,” the men started pushing and shoving to climb the pole to the flag. “Come on get up there,” Another yelled.

“That’s what you got? This army is in trouble. Get up there Hodge,” Colonel Phillips ordered. “Only one person has gotten that flag in over seventeen years and that was that fine soldier right there,” Colonel Phillips explained pointing at me as I smiled smugly. “Come on, come on fall in. Let’s go, get back in formation,” Colonel Phillips ordered but Rogers didn’t listen he walked up the the flag pole.
“Rogers! I said fall in!” the Colonel yelled but Roger walked up to the flag and grabbed he bar at the bottom pulling in out causing the pole to fall over. He walked over to the flag taking in off the string and handed it to Colonel Phillips.

“Thank you, Sir,” he said jumping into the jeep. I laughed giving Rogers a nod before we took off running again.

As we stood watching the recruits do push up we talked about our choices for the project. “Faster ladies, come on. My grandmother has more life in her, God rest her soul. Move it!” Colonel Phillips yelled at the recruits. “You’re not really thinking rogers, are you?” Colonel Phillips asked Dr. Erskine.

“I am more than just thinking about it. It is a clear choice,” Dr. Erskine replied.

“When you brought a modicum asthmatic onto my army base I let it slide. I thought what the hell, maybe he could be useful to you, like a gerbil. Never thought you’d pick him,” Colonel explained before ordered int recruits up. “Stick a needle in the kids arm it’ll go right through him,” Colonel added. “Come on girls. Look at that, he’s making me cry,” Colonel said as Rogers struggled to get up.

“I am looking for qualities beyond the physical,” The doctor added.

“Do you know how long it took to set up this project.”

“Yes.”

“All the groveling I had to do in front of senator whats-his-name committees,” Colonel told him.

“Yes, I know. I am well aware of your efforts.” Dr. Erskine replied.

“Then throw me a bone. hodge passed every test we gave him except for the hand to hand with Clarke but no one will every pass that. he’s bug, he’s fast. He obeys orders, he’s a soldier.

“He’s a bully,” the doctor said shooting down the Colonel.

“You don’t win wars with niceness, Doctor. You win wars with guts,” The colonel said grabbing a grenade from the truck.

“Grenade!” He yelled pulling the clip and throwing it at the recruits. Peggy and I both ran towards the grenade to cover it but Rogers jumped on to of it as all the other recruits scattered to hide.

“Stay back! Get away!” Rogers yelled from on top of the grenade as we all stood there watching his heroic act. Peggy the doctor and I smiled as Colonel sighed.

“Men, back in formation,” He ordered as Rogers looked at us.

“Is this a test?” He asked as I let out a little laugh.

“He’s still skinny?” The Colonel said before we went our separate ways.

I walked over to Steve as everyone started to return to their barracks. “Hey Steve! Wait up a moment,” I called out to him.

“Oh Agent Clarke, how are you?” He asked looking up from the ground.

“I’m fine, but umm. . . you were a friend of Bucky Barnes, am I correct?” I asked as he nodded. “Would you happen to know what infantry he is a part of?” I asked as he looked at me curiously.

“I don’t mean to be rude ma’m but how do you know Bucky?” he asked politely.

“I met him the day before he shipped out and I, I want to see him again, after your procedure I am moving out to be with the other soldiers until you come over and I want to know if Bucky will be where I’m stationed so I can. . . talk to him,” I replied blushing lightly.

“Oh ummm I believe he is with the 107th I would double check with the Colonel though,” he told me as I smiled.

“Thank you Steve , Bucky told me a lot about you he truly believes in you, so much that it helped me and the Doctor get you into this program,” I told him.

“Thank you Agent Clarke,” he thanked.

“Rogers, call me Hummingbird from here on out, you are a soldier and we will fight side by side, best be getting used to my codename,” I told him before walking back you my cabin.