Lokasenna

The Beginning

Loki was the only prisoner with special privileges. Being Odin's adopted son at least had some merit, although not many people knew he was adopted.
Sigyn was one of Frigga's chambermaids, but after his trial Frigga had insisted on her looking after Loki. Sigyn had on the one hand been flattered by this, she knew Frigga loved Loki very much and wouldn't have him served by anyone who was not worthy enough, but on the other hand the prejudice about his despicable character created some hesitation in her acceptance. However, Sig had no family that could provide for her, which is how she had ended up servicing the Allfather's family in the first place, so she was happy to accept the offer as it provided a fair pay and she had come to love Frigga in the nine years she had worked for her as if she was her own mother and trusted her judgement.

Her duties began one hour after his imprisonment. Frigga had supplied her with instructions just after his trial: give him his meals three times a day, supply him with whatever he wants (as long as Frigga gave her permission for it), and -she had stressed this point- do not, under any circumstances, talk back to him or lose him out of your sight.

Sigyn had never experienced magic. She knew it existed, but she had never encountered it or experienced it herself. She knew Loki had the ability to use magic, and therefore it would be dangerous for anyone to service him. But apparently Frigga thought Sig would be strong enough to handle the job.

Frigga had called Sig to her, explained what needed to be done and almost directly she was sent away again to start with her new duties.
The hallway led to a flight of stairs, where the change in atmosphere was immediately noticeable. Upstairs there was warm light, provided by the numerable windows, but down here the passages were illuminated only by flickering torches.
Even though she trusted Frigga, she could not help but feeling a sense of trepidation as she descended even lower down another flight of steps. She did not know what to expect: Loki had committed treason and killed innocent Midgardians for his own goals. If he was capable of betraying his own brother for his selfish plans to seize power she shuddered to think what he could do to her, a powerless chambermaid of no consequence, in order to escape his imprisonment.

Upon her entering his cell, Loki surveyed Sig intently, his arms crossed over his chest.
'So, you will be my guard?' he asked her softly.
Sig had to refrain from answering, remembering what Frigga had told her about speaking back to him. Silently and without looking at him she placed a pitcher of water on the table behind him. While she tried to ignore him, he watched her in her progress. When she was done he was still watching her, she could feel his eyes burning on her. As instructed, Sig curtseyed -eyes on the floor- before leaving his cell.

She made her way to a niche large enough to hold a table and a chair, positioned close to Loki's cell so she could see him at all times. A candle stood on the table. Sigyn sat down and, having brought some with her, started to repair some items of clothing. While she was sewing her nerves started to calm down a little. If it was going to be like this, she thought it would be enough for her to handle. She was still frightened of what might happen if Loki planned to make a bid for freedom, but watching him from the corner of her eye he seemed calm, quiet, almost docile.

Later that day Sigyn left her post and made her way to the kitchens to fetch Loki's meal for the evening. She returned with two plates, one for him and one for herself. Before going in to his cell, she left her plate on the table in the niche.
He looked up from the floor when she entered. 'Is it evening already?' he asked, getting up from his chair and approaching Sigyn. She remained on her spot by the glass window, through which only she could pass without being harmed, which had been the result of Frigga's handiwork.
Her eyes fixed on the floor she reached out the plate to him with a small curtsey. He took it from her and thanked her. Again, she could feel he was trying to make eye contact, but she was afraid that if she looked at him she might be tempted to talk back to him. Suddenly it dawned on her, given that he was sentenced for life, that she was probably his only companion and his only means of interaction. It must be frustrating for him too, that she would not look at him or speak to him. She glanced at him briefly, while he sat down at the table. Then, remembering her own plate of hot food, she curtseyed again and left.

In a way, she thought while she ate her dinner, it was strange that Frigga still wanted him to be comfortable. Of course, he was her son, but he had done monstrous things that had gained him this cell. She wondered why Frigga, apart from motherly affection, wanted him looked after. Did she believe there was still some good in her youngest son? Her support for him continued to puzzle her.

When she had finished eating she went back in to clear away his empty plate. He was still seated at the little table, his arms crossed over his chest again. Sigyn had hoped he would reach the plate out to her, so she wouldn't have to come so near him, but he remained seated, watching her closely.
'I don't know if it is possible, but could I have something to read? I'm terribly bored in here.' he said, quietly.
Sigyn nodded, having picked up his plate and made her way to the window as quick as she could.

After bringing the plates back to the kitchens she made her way to Frigga's quarters.
Frigga was seated by the window, reading a book by candlelight. She put the book aside when Sigyn knocked and entered the room. 'Ah, Sigyn, good evening my dear.'
Sig curtseyed in reply.
'How has your first day been so far? What news of my son?'
'Your son has requested something to read, my lady.'
'Has he, well that doesn't surprise me,' Frigga said, a smile forming on her face. She thought for a moment, then left her place by the window and walked to a large painting on the wall, titled 'A Morning In Spring' which depicted the three Norns drawing water from the Well of Urd.
'What you are about to see,' said Frigga, 'can not be known to anyone. Promise me you will keep this between us.' A little surprised, Sig nodded in reply.
Frigga pressed her fingers against the frame of the painting and something clicked behind it. The frame seemed to have sprung loose, revealing a little crack at the side. Frigga opened the crack wider by swinging the frame gently aside. A large number of bookshelves were hidden behind the painting. Frigga ran her hand along them, finally selecting one and retrieving it. She swung the painting back in place and her secret library was hidden once again.
Sigyn had watched all this with her mouth slightly open. Nine years she had been in Frigga's service (she had started when she was only eleven years old) but she never knew about this private library. She wondered if the Allfather knew about it and why it had to be kept secret if he did.
Frigga handed her the book and said 'Tell my son that I hope he will find this book interesting. When he has finished with it, come to me again and I shall give him another.' 'Yes, my lady.' said Sigyn, curtseying while she did. Frigga smiled and made a gesture indicating she could go.

When she returned to his cell Loki was pacing around, apparently waiting for her. Again, avoiding his eyes, she handed him the book. 'Your mother hopes you will find this interesting.' she said, quietly. 'And did my mother' (he put a delicate stress on the word) 'say anything else?'
She could feel him looking at her again, but as always kept her eyes firmly cast down. 'She said that when you have finished with it she will give you another if you wish it.' Loki walked to the table and sat down on the chair, examining the book. Sig watched him while he did so, but quickly looked down again when he turned his gaze back on her. 'Please thank Frigga for me,' he said. Sig curtseyed in reply. 'You don't have to do that all the time, you know.' he said, smiling a little. 'I am but a prisoner now, there's no need for formalities.'
Sig did not reply and left his cell and retired to the servants' quarters for the night. Most of the other girls were already asleep. Sigyn took off her sand coloured dress, which had been the uniform for Frigga's ladies in waiting, and changed into a simple white nightgown before she laid down to sleep.