Lokasenna

The Midgardian

Sigyn was watching Loki from her table in the niche. He was pacing around his cell, running his hands frustratedly through his hair. It had been a day since they kissed in the bathroom. Sig could still feel the excitement when she thought back to that moment, but she also remembered being frightened. She has never been with a man before and she didn't know what to expect from it. However, judging from how much she had enjoyed kissing him, she was sure she would enjoy anything else they could do together just as much.
It had been Loki who eventually broke off the kiss, saying that they needed to go back to the cell otherwise the guards would get suspicious. She had brought him back into his cell and he had given her one more look before he sat down in his chair with his back to her. He had not said a word to her since.
It seemed as if he was brooding over something. She wondered, watching him make his rounds through his cell, whether he regretted kissing her. She found it difficult to comprehend his behaviour, but she was too timid to ask him about his feelings.

The next day there was a commotion in the palace: Thor had brought a Midgardian to Asgard and Frigga had summoned all her most skilled ladies in waiting to examine her as she -the Midgardian- apparently needed medical attention. Sigyn, too, had been called in to assist. They had taken the girl, Jane, to the medical wing so they could see what was ailing her by using the soul forge. Sig was not as skilled with the device as some others, such as Olrin, but she was able to provide some help. The girl, Jane, who was obviously in awe with the Asgardian medical tools, raised her hand to point at the energy fields surrounding her. 'What's that?' she asked. Olrin snapped 'Be still,' before she could move any more. Thor stood beside Sigyn, his brow furrowed in concern. 'This is not of earth,' he said in a low voice, 'what is it?' Sig had seen the progress of the test they were performing on her, and it did not look very promising. She didn't want to tell him this, as he was obviously in love with this girl and she didn't want to be the one who told him the bad news. However, her own heart was aching because Loki would not tell her the thing she needed to hear either... 'We do not know,' Sig answered quietly, 'but she will not survive the amount of energy surging within her.' she bowed her head and left the room, she wanted to go back to the prison, to Loki and talk to him. She slipped out through the door, unnoticed by anyone, but when she came to the stairs that led down to the dungeons she heard someone call her.
'You.. Sigyn, isn't it?' she turned around. Odin, the Allfather stood before her, examining her with an angry frown on his face. She bowed deep and he continued: 'It has come to my attention that you have been serving the traitor, Loki.'
'I was only obeying orders, my lord.' she murmured, her head still lowered.
'And I am revoking these orders. Loki is being transferred to the general confinement as we speak. You are to return to your old duties.'
'General confinement?'
Odin raised his eyebrow questioningly. Sig quickly stammered, 'I mean: of course my lord.' He gave her one more stern look before he turned around and walked to the examining room where Sig had just come from.

She turned around to the stairs, changed her mind and started walking in the direction of Frigga's quarters. Halfway she changed her mind again. She didn't know what to do. She wanted to talk to Loki, she needed to talk to him. But she also needed to ask Frigga what was happening, and why it was happening. Finally, she made up her mind and continued on her way to Frigga's quarters. At first she was afraid that Frigga would be out, but when she rapped softly on the door Frigga's voice answered: 'Come in.'
Frigga was seated at her writing desk at the window and looked around when Sig entered. She looked troubled. 'Oh, Sigyn, it is you.'
'Yes, my lady. I came to ask about Loki's transfer...'
Frigga sighed deeply. 'Yes… I tried to stop Odin, but he was furious when he found out I had arranged for you to look after Loki.'
'H-how did he find out?'
'Apparently one of the guards passing by a few days ago found his cell empty. He reported to Odin while I was with him, and so I explained that it was likely that he was having a bath. Odin was not supposed to know this, of course, but he was about to sound the alarm.'
'And.. what are my duties now?'
Frigga thought for a moment. 'I do not agree with Odin's decision to move Loki. He deserves punishment, but he does not deserve to be left all alone. I had you looking after him, because I knew you would care for him and that you would give him the company he needed. I suppose he has taught you some of our tricks by now…?'
Sig stared at her for a moment, then nodded feebly. 'Good, I thought he would do so. But it is not supposed to end like this… I am afraid, however, that there is not a simple solution to this problem. The other prisoners will be able to see into his cell, and there will be a lot more guards there during the day, so you must be careful.'
'You want me to continue to look after him then?' Sig asked.
'Yes, I do. Putting him in general confinement will only enrage Loki. He has to come to his senses. I had hoped that in his previous cell, with you for company… but that ship has sailed now. You mustn't be seen. You know how to conceal yourself for others?'
Sig nodded, 'I think I know how it is done.'
'Good. You will go to him, his cell will open for you as it did before, you do not need to worry about that. Talk to him, tell him I did not approve of his transfer but that it is not possible to get him out of there anytime soon. Tell him he will still have his privileges, you can still take him to the dungeon for his baths and he will get his meals as he is used to. You can keep on giving him my books, but Sigyn…' Frigga suddenly grabbed Sig by the shoulders, 'be careful that you are not seen. We cannot afford to make mistakes this time.'
A little overwhelmed by all this information and the sudden turn of events, Sigyn nodded. Frigga let go of her and she left the room to make her way to the dungeons. She managed to conceal herself from the guards and the other prisoners. Loki's new cell was situated near the entrance of the prison. When she approached his cell she could see him, he was looking at her from behind the glass, a confused frown on is face. He saw her passing the guards and then he understood that she must be invisible to them. She entered his cell and they looked at each other for a moment.
'Come with me,' she said softly, not taking her eyes off him. He nodded, walked over to her and took her hand, making them both invisible to the other prisoners. Loki left an illusion of himself to fool the guards, and he and Sig left for the bathroom in the dungeons.