Lokasenna

The Portent

Sigyn brought Loki back to his cell, feeling a strange pang of anxiousness when she left him. His transfer to general confinement made her nervous, it felt as if something bad was about to happen. However, she couldn't quite put her finger on what this could be, or why exactly she was thinking this. Possibly, the presence of the Midgardian Jane, who still resided in the palace, and the excitement it created had something to do with her feeling so uneasy.
After Jane's examination the day before, everyone had returned to their usual duties. Sig concealed herself before she went down to the dungeon, so she could slip into Loki's cell unseen, to bring him his breakfast and take him for his bath. When she entered the prison she suddenly heard a commotion behind her. A procession of new prisoners was being led in. Among them was a huge creature that made Sig press herself into the wall a little more when it passed her. She watched them warily, then looked at Loki's cell. With a slight jolt of surprise she saw that he was not alone: Frigga stood next to him, and they appeared to be talking. Sig turned her head and looked round, but the guards didn't seem to see Frigga, just like they couldn't see Sig.
She watched them talk, she couldn't hear the words that were spoken, but she could see a pleading look on Frigga's face. Loki suddenly turned to his mother and he seemed to yell at her, his features contorted in anger. They looked at one another for a moment, without saying a word, then Frigga's lips moved, and he answered after hesitating.
At the end of their exchange, Frigga held out her hands, but Loki wove them away, and Frigga's figure disappeared altogether.

Sig waited a few minutes before she entered his cell. He had sat down on the wooden bench, that served as his bed, his head hung low and his fingers clenched into his hair.
'Loki…' he lifted his head, the hard look in his eyes softened when they fell on her. She walked up to him and knelt down before him, placing her hands in his outstretched palms. They looked at one another silently for what seemed an eternity. 'Did you see her?' he finally asked in a strained voice. Sig nodded. 'I shouldn't have lost my temper…' he whispered, more to himself than to her. He got up and walked back and forth. Sig didn't know what to say or do, he seemed lost in thought. 'I brought you breakfast,' she muttered after a few minutes, 'and if you want to I'll come back in a little while to take you for your bath.' He rounded on her, a surprised look on his face, as if he hardly knew what she was talking about. 'Oh, yes… Yes, maybe that's a good idea.'
Sig got up from her spot before the bench, making to leave the cell. 'Sigyn…' he hastened after her and before she knew it he had her wrapped in his arms. 'I just need to calm down,' he said into her ear, 'you understand that, don't you?' She nodded against his chest and wrapped her own arms around him as well. He tightened his hold on her a little. 'Of course you do,' he sighed, and lifted her face up to his, 'if anyone understands, it's you…' She didn't want to let go. The nervous feeling that something might happen if she left him still lingered. But eventually, she let go and left the dungeons.