Lokasenna

The Aftermath

Sigyn and the other ladies in waiting were standing behind the Allfather, his family, and the other courtiers. She watched as the archer shot the first arrow into Frigga's boat. The other women were crying silently around her. She knew she should be mourning too, but after all that had happened that day, she had hardly found time to let everything sink in properly. And to add to her distress she was shunned by most of the other maids, which made her feel even less like she was supposed to be there. When the ceremony ended she hurried back to the palace, while the others lingered to watch the burning boats drift off.
Most of the dungeon had been cleared, but they hadn't replaced the broken cell windows yet. Some of the shattered lights were still unrepaired as well, giving the place an even more eerie and dismal look than usual. Her eye fell on Loki's cell. At first she thought it was empty, but then she saw a figure lying on the floor. With a small gasp she hurried to the window and entered. It looked as if something had exploded in Loki's cell: the small amount of furniture lay toppled over, the chair was broken, a few of his books were torn into pieces. Amidst the rubble of broken furniture, crumpled pages and shattered glass lay Loki: his legs bent and his hands over his eyes. Apparently he hadn't heard her enter his cell. Sig felt a little apprehensive, she didn't know whether she could approach him or not. Of everything she had seen that day, this was by far the most shocking and saddening sight. She had not expected this.
She remained close to the window for a while, and when he did not seem to move she walked to where he was lying and sat down next to him. He stirred, uncovering his eyes and looked at her. His eyes were bloodshot. For a while they just stared at each other, then she fell into his arms and started sobbing uncontrollably.

For what felt like hours they were just lying on the floor of his cell, comforting each other in silence. When Sig finally found her voice again she told him what had happened: how she had met Frigga and Jane in the corridor, how she and Jane had been in the next room when Frigga was killed, how Thor had urged her to stay until the funeral. Loki was silent when she spoke, his eyes still red, but his expression apathetic. Finally, when she finished her recapitulation of the events of that day, he sighed and sat up straight with his head hanging and his eyes fixed on the floor.
'Frigga helped me with so many things even though I rejected her when she tried. And now that she is gone I suddenly see it. She was the only one who believe in me, who loved me even though I was not her true son. I owe her so much. And I can never thank her for what she did for me now.' his voice broke while he spoke. Sig lifted herself from the floor as well and turned Loki's head with her hand to face her. 'Maybe you will not be able to thank her in person, but you can show everyone else that she was right to believe in you,' she said softly. He gave her an almost pitying look, but she ignored it. 'She was not the only one who believes in you,' she hesitated before she continued: ''And she was not the only one who loves you." her eyes quickly darted to his, and he looked back at her. His lips twitched, as if he was about to smile. He took her in his arms again. 'Let's go,' he whispered in her ear, 'let's leave.' She looked up at him, saw the determined look in his eyes, and nodded. He helped her to her feet, grabbed her by the hand and they passed through the cell window. Outside, he pulled her closer. 'I think I owe Frigga most..' he whispered, tracing a finger along her neck, 'for sending you.' He lifted her face to his, resting his forehead against her's and closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them again, a fresh tear was rolling down Sigyn's cheek. He wiped it away with his thumb, then kissed the place where it had been. Sig smiled a watery smile and he kissed her softly on the lips, embracing her and running one hand through her dark hair. A booming voice suddenly rang through the dungeon, making them jump and look around: 'You! I told you not to come here any more!'
Odin came striding towards them, a group of guards in his wake. Loki grabbed Sig's hand and stepped in front of her, as if to shield her. Odin glared at them, breathing heavily. 'Seize them.'
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for taking such a long time to update. Thanks for your patience! Please enjoy, more will follow -hopefully very- soon.