Lokasenna

"Your Highness"

As soon as the darkness faded away and they were back in the bathroom, Loki let go of Sigyn. She looked around a little bewildered, not expecting the sudden disappearance in the middle of their conversation. Equally unexpected was the fact that Loki had returned to the palace with her. He had come back willingly. Or did he have a plan? And why had he wanted to know whether or not she disliked him?
She already had so many unanswered questions, she was not quite sure if she could bear these new additions.
Loki walked over to the tub in the middle of the room. 'I think the water is warm enough now,' he said, glancing back at Sig, who was still trying to make sense of all that had just happened. 'What?' she looked up in confusion, 'Oh… Yes, the bath…' For a moment she pondered, looking down at her feet. Then a sudden thought struck her; she was not going to be as negligent now as she had been that morning; she removed the iron bracelets from her belt. 'Loki…' she said while turning around to him, determined to make him wear them. Loki had been washing his face in the basin on the other side of the room.
'What is it?' he walked over to her, drying his hands on a towel as he did so.
'I… I need you to wear these again.' she held up the bracelets for him to see.
He looked at her.
'…Please.' she added tentatively.
He did not respond, he simply looked at her unblinkingly. Finally he draped the towel over his shoulder and extended his hands, without breaking his stare. Sig hesitated a little before she pulled his right hand towards her to fasten the bracelet around his wrist. A small smile started to form on his lips while she was busying herself with the bracelets.
'You're doing it again.' she mumbled, a little irritated, although she could not suppress a smile herself.
'So are you,' he replied chuckling.
'Yes, let me guess: I practically beg for it?'
'You do seem to make it necessary for me to mock you every now and then.'
'I feel honoured that I am worthy enough to be mocked by you, your highness.' she said sarcastically, with a ridiculously exaggerated curtsey on the last words.
'You are easily satisfied,' he replied grinning, evidently enjoying their playful bickering.
'You think so?'
They looked at one another, both smiling. Sig had finished securing the bracelets.'No, maybe not so easily: you saw today that there was no need for these,' he tugged at the bracelets, 'and yet you make me wear them.' he crossed his arms over his chest. 'Have I ever given you any reason not to trust me?'
'You are imprisoned for murder and betrayal, I have every reason not to trust you.'
'True. But I have never given you reason to mistrust me. I have never betrayed you. Unlike…' he hesitated, '…unlike others whom you trusted more than you ever trusted me.'
She blinked at him. 'Frigga…' she murmured. He nodded. 'You cannot deny that she has hurt you more than I ever have.'
It felt very uncomfortable to hear someone else voice anything negative about Frigga, even though she had been thinking this herself. She could feel a frown replacing her smile. Loki, too, looked much more serious now. Sig did not want to discuss the matter, she was not yet ready to fully acknowledge the fact that someone that felt so much like family would knowingly, purposely, use her in such a manner. However, there was no one else to discuss the matter with. The other maids did not understand. They seemed to think she was privileged in some way. That she was enjoying her new position in the palace. That she somehow felt better than her fellow maids. She was no longer one of them, Olrin had made that very clear. And here before her stood the only other person who understood how she felt.
Finally she said: 'I will not deny that some of the trust between us is gone.'
He nodded understandingly.

Loki's illusions disappeared as soon as their real-life counterparts entered the prison. The guards did not notice the changeover, they were too preoccupied with themselves to notice anything that subtle. When they were inside the cell Sig removed the bracelets from Loki's wrists. As soon as she was done Sig wanted to exit through the window, but he held her back. 'We could do this every day, if we want,' he said, his conspiratorial tone could not hide his excitement, 'just leave for a few hours, practice some magic and then come back.'
Sig looked at him, thinking hard. It was a wonderful proposal, but she was still a little apprehensive. The idea that they might make a mistake and get caught was not very appealing to her. But it had been good to practice magic, to have someone help her with it as well. And she enjoyed being around Loki when they were not in the prison.
She did not reply, as she was not sure yet what she wanted, but she smiled before lifting his hand gently off her left arm. She then turned around and left the cell.

Instead of sitting down at her table she walked out of the dungeons, strode through the hallways and ascended the stairs that would lead her to Frigga's quarters. Loki was in need of a new book. Frigga sat at her window, reading, when Sig entered her chamber. Three other ladies in waiting were present in her room as well, to Sigyn's dismay. They all shot her contemptuous looks while she approached Frigga.
'My lady,' she began, 'I have come to' she lowered her voice so the other ladies in waiting (who were surely trying to listen in) could not hear her, 'collect another volume.'
'Very well,' Frigga said, closing the book she was reading and placing it on the windowsill. She dismissed the other girls, who glowered at Sig when Frigga told them they were excused. Sig could hear them mutter to each other under their breath while they left the room, but decided it would be of no use to feel bad about it. She was already a bundle of nerves. Frigga gave her a friendly smile before she gestured to Sig that she should close the door. While Sig obeyed her she made her way to the painting on the wall.
'How is my son, Sigyn?' Frigga asked, while she browsed the shelves.
'He is well, my lady.'
'Good… And has he.. shown any sign of repentance for his crimes?'
Sig was a little thrown by this question. She had to think for a moment on her answer. Suddenly she remembered a conversation she had had with Loki a while ago, where he told her what Frigga had written to him to calm him down after her killed his guard. 'He seems to have found some peace within himself.' Frigga looked over her shoulder in surprise. For a minute Sig was afraid she would know that she was only repeating the wishes Frigga had expressed in the note.
'Well, that is… very good to hear.' Frigga said, still a little surprised. When Sig gave no sign of continuing the conversation she turned around again, pulled a dusty, leather-bound book from the shelf and handed it to Sig.
When Sig had curtseyed and made to leave the room, Frigga suddenly grabbed her by her arm to stop her.
'Please tell my son.. tell Loki.. to have faith. Odin might still come around…'
Sig stared at her for a moment, her eyes wide. She then bowed again and left the room.