They Don't Have to Know

Chapter Two: "May I Have This Dance?"

As all of the guests sat at the long table, delicacies of many kinds appeared. Soon, everyone was eating and having a great time. Except for two people, Loki and me. I was still so embarrassed from the incident earlier, I had no interest in my food. I picked at a small piece of chicken on my plate and hid my face beneath my curtain of wavy dark brown hair.

I couldn't concentrate on anything. Prince Loki's face kept on flooding my mind. What was that expression on his face when I fell on him? It was mild shock mixed with what, disdain? Superiority? Concern? Amusement? I looked over at him, his head was bent and was moving a single green grape around on his plate with his fork. A single lock of raven hair fell in front of his eyes. Loki lifted his head and our eyes met. He lifted one dark brow, lips slightly pursed with the ghost of a smirk on his handsome face. Loki had noticed my staring. I had immediately wished we weren't sitting across from each other.

After about two hours, nearly everyone was dancing and a few of the men (Volstagg) were already drunk and were shouting at the table over mugs of ale. I was standing in the corner with my head down, not really speaking with anyone. "Are you enjoying yourself, my dear?" A kinds woman's voice asked me. I looked up and saw Queen Frigga.

"Oh yes, My Lady." I replied, "Is there anything you would like me to get for you?"

"No, Sigyn. I was simply checking up on you. I noticed you didn't eat anything at dinner, are you okay?" Frigga answered.

"I'm fine, my Queen. Thank you." I muttered. Frigga bowed her head and left.

A bit later a male voice asked me, "May I have this dance?"

I shrugged, not looking up at the man. He took my hand and led me to the dance floor. Like the air around him, his hand was cool. He placed his hand on my waist and guided me along the floor. He was excellent. I never looked at the man, only my hand in his. After a while, I heard someone else walk up to us and asked, "May I cut in?" Only then did I look up and see the man that was previously dancing with me. It was Loki. My eyes widened and I felt angry with myself. I was dancing with the prince! I glanced at the new man I was dancing with, it was my father. I smiled. But for the rest of the night, Loki never left my mind. There was something so familiar about him. It was the sense of familiarity about Loki that scared me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Writing this chapter was fun. I love describing Loki and Sigyn and creating their relationship.