Status: Active

Nothing Else Matters

Kruzbergs

I sat in a cubicle at the local police department with Dr. Reid and who I was introduced to as Agent Rossi waiting for the sketch artist.

“Do…do you think I could have a piece of paper? I could sketch it while we wait?” I said nervously. I needed something to do with my hands as I continually wrung my hands and twisted my necklace.

“Of course.” Agent Rossi said standing and retrieving a pad of paper and pencil from inside the desk we occupied. “Here you are. Do you need anything else, a glass of water? Coffee?”

“Coffee would be wonderful, thank you.” I said taking the pencil in hand and focused my attention to the paper in front of me. I began to sketch the intricate Celtic knot work that was engraved in my brain. I was so focused that I didn’t even notice the cup of coffee that was placed in front of me. My breath became labored as the memories flooded into me and I began to draw Natalie’s attacker. I started with the eyes and I just kept going. I was exhausted when I finally stopped. The coffee in front of me was cold and an unknown man stood in the door way along with the two FBI agents staring at me.

“Is this who you saw in the hallway?” Dr. Reid asked. I nodded slowly. Dr. Reid took the paper from me, “I don’t think we’ll need your services after all…Rossi? I think we have our Unsub.” He said holding up my sketch up to the two other men in the room.

“Is this what he looked like?” Rossi asked me, sitting down across from me.

I nodded tiredly, “Honestly I don’t know where that came from. I didn’t think I even got a good look at him.”

“You were under immense stress. The brain is very complicated, even though you don’t think you are paying attention it is still collecting data that you may not be aware of.” Reid said looking over Rossi’s shoulder at my sketch.

Rossi looked back at Reid, “Tell everyone we’re ready to make a statement.” Reid nodded and walked away silently. I sat there in silence confused, twisting my necklace between my fingers.
“Thank you Miss. Greene. You have been incredibly helpful. Officer Ricci will escort you back to your hotel.”

I was losing my mind sitting in my hotel room all day long. I couldn’t stand staring at the same four walls for hours on end. I needed to get out of here; I needed to get my mind off of Natalie’s lifeless eyes staring back at me.

“Officer Ricci? I need to get out of here. I’m heading to a coffee shop.” I said walking out of the door past the officer’s car.

“Miss. Greene I’m not sure that is a good idea.” The slim women said as she stepped out of her car towards me.

“I don’t think some psycho will kill me in the middle of the day in a coffee shop.” I huffed.

“You’d be surprised.” I heard her mumble.

“Look if I am not back here in two hours then send the FBI to come after me. I’ll be at Kruzburgs on 5th.” I said as I continued walking.

Getting back into the hustle of San Francisco’s streets made me feel almost normal again, I caught the street car by seconds and bustled to the back. I stared at the few people around me. I began to question them in my mind. They all looked so calm; did they know a killer was out there in the city somewhere?

I took a deep breath. This wasn’t the reason I left my hotel room. I wanted to get my mind off of all this. I got off at my stop and walked the few shops down to my destination. The coffee shop wasn’t all that crowded today. Just a few college students, like me sitting at the different mismatched couches and tables, book shelves lined almost every available wall. Those that weren’t full of books were filled with paintings or notes left by patrons with the available type writer against one of the walls.

I walked to the counter, noticing my good friend was working. “Hey Erin!” I exclaimed at the curvy brunette staring back at me.

“Hey Izzy long time no see! I was beginning to think I lost my best friend to Starbucks!”

“Yeah right! You know I go out of my way to come to my favorite coffee shop…I’ve just had a rough few days.”

“What’s wrong hunny?” She asked, worry furrowing her brow.

“Umm there was a murder in my building. Do you remember Natalie?”

“Oh God yes! That girl had more men coming out of her place then BART.” She said rolling her eyes.
Tears welled in my eyes as I thought back on the way Erin and I used to crack jokes about my deceased next door neighbor. “She..uh..She was killed the other night. I found her.” I whispered.

Erin’s heart shaped face paled as she set the cup back on the counter staring at me with wide brown eyes, “Oh my God Izzy…I am so sorry! Hold on let me take my break.”

A few moments later Erin and I were sitting in the secluded little room that was in the far corner of the shop, giving us a perfect view of the street. We sat on the beat up couch and I stared out at the people passing the café. I held my dark chocolate mocha in my hands as I tried gathering my thoughts before speaking.

“I can’t really go into the details. It’s an open investigation with the FBI. I walked in on him killing her.” I whispered, tears falling down my face. “Of all the horrible things I said about her, I never wanted anything to happen to her!” I whispered.

Erin handed me a napkin and put her arms around my shoulder. “I can’t believe it! Where are you staying? Your apartment?”

I shook my head no, “I’m staying in a hotel. I even get my own police detail.” I said with fake cheer.
“Are…are you in any danger?”

I licked my lips, “I don’t know.” I whispered. “They won’t let me go back to my apartment. They say it’s a crime scene. I don’t really know what is going on. They say I’m not in any danger, but it doesn’t feel that way the way the police are acting. Hell they even have FBI agents talking to me. How the hell am I supposed to feel? I just feel so bad. I didn’t like her, but I never wanted her to get hurt!” Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked everywhere but at my friend.

“Sweetheart it’s not your fault!”

“But if I woke up sooner I could have helped her!” I yelled.

“If you woke up sooner you could be dead too.” Erin deadpanned.

My mind blanked at that thought. I hadn’t thought that I could have been hurt, I just thought that I could have helped Natalie.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this story. I had this story posted awhile ago but took it down for revisions. I would like to think what everyone thinks about the new version.