Status: kind of thinking about making it a legit chaptered fic

Should I Write Myself Out of the History Books?

I Guess It's a Date

Frankly, Jack was pretty proud of himself. It was about an hour until he was to pick Alex up and he wasn’t shaking or freaking out. Or anything of the sort really. He was in the bathroom, doing his hair at languid pace, with his brain shut of. He was excited, really excited , and, in all honesty, he wasn’t really used to that feeling. He had gone on a few dates before, but nothing spectacular, and with no one as stupidly hot as Alex.

He was nervous, yeah, but they were going to a show. It was kind of like a movie date: they could ease into the awkward dating thing without really having to talk to one another. In other words, Jack was pretty sure he wouldn’t embarrass himself like he did on his last date, a dinner date in which he ended up dropping half of his food into his date’s lap.

Jack wasn’t sure what band they were seeing, however, because Alex refused to tell him. He said it was within a half an hour of them (and promised to pay for gas, which was pretty cool, even though Jack flat out refused the offer) which left a few venues that weren’t eighteen and up.

“Jack, honey?” His mother’s voice called from downstairs. “Can you stop at the store and pick up some groceries?” He looked at the mirror as his mother peeked her head in through the bathroom door brandishing a pretty lengthy grocery list.

“Can’t, Mom,” he started. “I have a date? In, like, an hour,” His mother rolled his eyes.

“It takes you way too long to get ready.” Jack scoffed because--really?--it took his mother at least three hours. Jack had only begun and he was already almost down with his hair. “Who with?” She asked, breaking him out of his thoughts. Jack froze.

“Um. Alex. I, uh, think I told you about them?” Jack fumbled. It wasn’t like his parents were homophobic or anything he just...wasn’t ready to tell them that he’d prefer stubble against his cheek than the feeling of breasts pressed against his chest. Jack looked back at his mother in the mirror to see her nodding.

“Oh, yeah, yeah. Have fun, honey. I’ll just have your brother do it,” she said with a wink, waving the list. Jack let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. He’d have to tell them sometime. Now, however, wasn’t even close to ‘sometime’.

*

Alex’s house was literally smack dab in the middle of Jack’s house and the venue. He had texted him both addresses, complete with directions, a few minutes before he left to pick Alex up. It was days like today when Jack cursed the fact that he didn’t have an iPhone and wasn’t able to look up the venue to see what bands were playing. It wasn’t that Jack was super picky about music--especially since he knew Alex had pretty impeccable music taste due to the shirts he wore and a little bit of Facebook stalking--it was just...Jack didn’t love surprises. That, and he was pretty savvy about the local music scene and he felt like he would totally know the band playing.


With that, he pulled up to the house he assumed was Alex’s, double checked the address, then got out of the car. He didn’t want to be that asshole who just texted ‘im here!’ or, worse, honked to announce his arrival, on the first date. He wasn’t too nervous as he knocked on the front door, or when Alex’s mother answered the door and cheerfully announced his arrival, or even when she offered him something to drink and asked him how his day had gone.

It was when Alex finally came down stairs, basically hopping down two steps at a time, that Jack felt the nerves kick in.

“Hi.” Alex said with a sideways grin. Jack couldn’t help but return it. “You ready?” Jack nodded, getting up from his stool. He thanked Alex’s mother and headed towards the front door, Alex in tow.

“I like your car,” Alex said as he began to buckle his seatbelt. Jack scoffed.

“But. It’s green,” he explained emptily. Alex laughed.

“Yeah, but it’s a nice green. Not like one of those fuckin’ Bugs.” He said. “It’s, like, olive. Very unassuming. I like it.” Jack just shook his head, grinning.

“Alright, since you like the car so much, you get to be in charge of music.” He said, gesturing towards the stereo system. Jack had a wired an iPod jack into it a few months ago, which was probably its best feature. “And you have to help me with directions,” he said as an afterthought.

“Deal,” the other boy exclaimed, reaching for his phone enthusiastically. Jack noticed with some envy that it was an iPhone. He toyed with it for a few moments before reaching over and plugging it in. Music spilt from the speakers; it took a few seconds for Jack to recognize it.

“New Found Glory,” he said appreciatively. “Nice choice.” Alex just rolled his eyes affectionately.

“Did you expect something more of me, Barakat?” He just shrugged.

“Guess not.” They sat in silence for a few minutes. Jack peered over periodically, watching Alex with interest. He was singing along quietly, becoming more audible during the loud parts, as if he thought Jack couldn’t hear him. Jack was surprised how good Alex sounded. Or looked when he sang. Like he really enjoyed it.

“You have a really nice voice,” Jack mumbled, barely ticking his head in Alex’s direction. The lighter haired boy looked up in surprise, as if unsure if the compliment was genuine or not. Jack gave him a little smile, flicking his eyes over to Alex.

“Thanks,” Alex said back. He looked a little shaken by the compliment, but still gave him a big smile. Jack looked away, but from the corner of his eye, he couldn’t see Alex barely biting his lip on the grin.

*

“There’s one!” Alex exclaimed; they were completing their fourth circle around the parking lot, still searching for a spot that was open. There was another car in front of them, similar shape and everything, but it had five passengers in it instead of two.

“Fuck,” Jack muttered, pulling up a little. The driver of the other car scowled a little and Jack just smirked in victory, pulling into the spot completely.

“Yes!” Alex announced, sharing Jack’s victory. He held up his hand for a high five. Jack obliged, grinning like crazy. Alex just did something to him. “Alright! Ready?” Jack started walking toward the line that was curved around the corner of the block, but Alex just grabbed his wrist lightly with a smirk.

“No, follow me.” He pulled Jack to the other side of the venue before acknowledging Jack’s confused face. “I’m really good friends with one of the opening bands’ singer.” He said with a grin. “Promised we’d be on the list but he said we had to say ‘hi’ first because he’s lame.” Alex explained with a laugh before his face lit up. A figure came barreling at them, face mirroring Alex’s. He was pretty tall, almost as tall as Jack, and looked to be about Jack’s age, maybe two or so years older, if that. He had a mop of black curly hair and a giant, almost Cheshire Cat-esque grin.

“You fucker! I haven’t seen you since October!” The guys said. Alex just knocked him on the shoulder.

“It’s been two months, calm the fuck down.”

“I missed your birthday!” He exasperated. “Your sixteenth!” Alex grinned. Jack wanted to ask about it, but Alex fired off a response before he had the chance to interject. Alex leaned into him slightly, as if giving him the okay to wrap an arm around his waist.

“Well, I’m here now. So you’re required to give me a birthday shout out.” Then, the boy seemed to notice Jack’s presence, and cocked his head in his direction.

“So,” he began, eyes narrowing and a smirk on his face. “Who’s this?” He almost singsonged. Alex shoved him again.

“He’s my date. Don’t fucking embarrass me.” The boy laughed, barely turning his head as a shout sounded from the venue.

“Like you couldn’t do that for yourself. Look, dude, I gotta go, but meet me after the show! We’re going out and you and your boy are coming with us.” Alex laughed and nodded as the other ran off.

“So that was Dan.” Alex said, turning to face Jack. The taller boy nodded.

“He seems nice.” He said, unsure of what to really say. He hadn’t actually said a word to Alex’s friend, and, technically, the other boy hadn’t said anything to him. Alex laughed, throwing his head back. Jack liked when he did that.

“He’s a fucking dick. But we grew up together. He’s basically like my brother. I taught him how to play guitar.” He informed Jack with a small nod while he linked their arms together. Jack smirked.

“So if he sucks, I have you to blame.” Alex choked out a giggle.

“He doesn’t actually play guitar in the band but, yeah, I promise you they’re great.” Alex said, shivering. He pressed against Jack again, shielding himself from the cold chill that was settling in their bones. Jack let his hand rest above Alex’s hip, curling around him protectively. Jack likes this. He liked how physical Alex was; he was so a lot less guarded than Jack had expected. Jack wasn’t usually so touchy-feely, but there was something about Alex that made him forget about that.

“I’ll be the judge of that.” Jack said as they reached the line.

*

Dan’s band, who Jack learned was titled ‘Real Friends’ were, admittedly, very good. They came on third (out of five bands) and were currently playing their second song. Alex was grinning like mad all through the show, even during the two opening bands, who he had told Jack he had never heard of. By the first song of the second band, Jack found himself holding Alex’s hand. He wasn’t sure who had initiated it, but when Alex looked over to Jack with a huge grin, biting his tongue slightly, Jack was thinking he had made the move. This, of course, made him pretty proud of himself--a feeling that didn’t last too long, as it was soon replaced by the euphoria of the music and watching Alex dance and mumble along to the unfamiliar songs. Jack soon found himself dancing along with Alex, shouting out the catchy choruses and repeated phrases into each others’ faces.

Jack was pretty sure it was the best date he had ever been on.

Now, Real Friends were finishing up their fourth song and Dan was staring into the audience, dopey smile on his face. He lifted the microphone to his face, eyes searching the crowd for a moment before landing on Jack and Alex.

“So, one of my best friends’ birthday was on Tuesday, and I haven’t seen him since October, so I wasn’t able to wish him a happy birthday. You guys think you can help me make it up to him?” There was an enthusiastic ‘yes!’ from the crowd; Dan smirked. “Okay, on the count of three, we’re gonna sing--”

“Wait, no, dude, bring him up here!” The bassist shouted from beside Dan.

“Oh, yeah, it’s not a celebration unless the birthday boy is publicly humiliated!” Shouted one of the guitarists. Dan laughed, that monster grin plastered on his face.

“Alright, yeah. C’mon Alex!” He shouted in their general direction. Jack felt Alex tense up beside him, the smile on his face instantly dropping. Jack squeezed his hand encouragingly, giving him a small grin when Alex looked back with a terrified look in his eyes. He was shaking his head furiously; Dan just smirked, holding his hand out to Alex. Somehow they had made their way to the third row, so Dan was hovering right in front of them. Alex stood his ground, shrugging into Jack. His face seemed a little calmed, though. Just then, Jack heard a squeak from Alex and, suddenly, there was a mass of gangly limbs spread above him as everyone began lifting the younger boy.

“Fuuuck.” Jack heard from above him. He laughed, pushing at Alex’s back and joining in as the crowd shouted his name. Soon, he was standing next to Dan with a sheepish smile. Dan’s arm was thrown around his shoulder and, when the crowd began singing to Alex, Jack made sure his voice was the loudest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, okay, so this isn't THAT late. But three weeks is pretty late for me. I wanted to get this out last week but shit I've been moving and I turned sixteen on Wednesday. So I've been a little busy.

Anyways! I hope you guys enjoy this! I was planning on making it super long, but I wanted to keep the chapters a more uniform length; I'll write them going out next aha.

BUT SERIOUSLY YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO DECIDE ON REAL FRIENDS AND DAN. Like, I don't even know if All Time Low and Real Friends ever even talk or whatever but I felt weird doing Mayday or the Maine or anything bc I don't listen to the former and I only listen to Pioneer and Forever Halloween. ANYWAYS. COMMENT, REC, SUBSCRIBE I LOVE YOU.