Status: On hiatus and probable rewrite. The beginning is actual shit.

You & I

{Finding Out}

I furrowed my eyebrows as I stared at the iPhone app once again.

This can’t be right.

I scrolled the calendar back to March and narrowed my eyes at the highlighted days. No period in April and now May was nearly over and there is no period.

I was like clockwork. The only time I was late was when I was under a lot of stress a few years ago.

That must be it. With graduation a bit more week away, I’ve been stressing about everything from grades to where I was going to live when I went to college. I nodded my head and exited out of the app. That must be the reason. Riley and I were always careful.

I took a deep breath and exited the bathroom that I nearly vomited in. Walking back into my room, I laid on my bed and shut my eyes. Fatigue was eating away at me and I just needed to rest, even though I’ve been up for only three hours.

An obnoxious ringtone began to blast from my phone and I groaned. It was Micah. Violently pressing answer, I snapped out a greeting.

“Hello to you too, grumpy,” she chirped, “what’re you doing?”

“Laying down.”

“Why?” she questioned, “It’s only four.”

I rolled my eyes and sat up, slightly dizzy. Micah continued to speak: “Do you want to go to lunch? My treat.”

“I’m too tired,” I whined.

“Please, Eden,” she begged, “please, please, please.”

Letting out a huff, I agreed. Micah squealed and told me she was picking me up in an hour. I rolled out of my duvet burrito and pulled my hair into a messy bun since I didn’t feel like spending time on it. Quickly stripping out of my sweats, I pulled on shorts and a red camisole with plain sandals. Applying a few coats of mascara and eyeliner, I decided to just wear sunglasses when I left. I slipped a few rings and a necklace on before grabbing my bag and slugging down the stairs. { Eden}

“Eden,” my mother greeted as I entered the kitchen, “why are you wearing that?”

I rolled my eyes at her condescending tone, “I’m going out to lunch with a friend. It is nothing fancy and I don’t feel like spending too much time on anything.”

“You look like a slob.”

I huffed and crossed my arms, “I don’t remember asking you.”

She narrowed her eyes and I heard the honking of a horn from outside, so I slipped out of the house. Micah was smiling excitedly as I climbed into her large SUV. She greeted me with a hug and quickly backed out of the driveway. I chatted with her for a few minutes before a rush of nausea overcame me and I let out a groan.

“What’s wrong?”

I shook my head. “Nothing. I’ve been nauseous lately.”

Micah came to a stop at a red light and turned to look at me urgently, “when was the last time you got your period?”

“March. I checked this morning. I think I’m late because of stress.”

“Is there any chance you’re pregnant?” She questioned.

I immediately shook my head, “no. Riley and I are always careful.”

“Are you on the pill?”

“Well… no,” I admitted.

Micah took a sharp turn into a walgreens and quickly parked, “we’re buying you some tests.”

“How are you so sure I’m…” I trailed off, not bringing myself to say the word.

“My mom got pregnant last year,” she answered and climbed out of the vehicle. I followed quietly, trying to figure out a time Riley didn’t use a condom.

Micah pulled three boxes of the most expensive test and four bottles of water before she paid for the items. I walked behind her quietly as I thought about it. We were soon in her car and she was driving to her house. Micah lived about ten minutes away and we sat in silence for most of it. I was really grateful for her right now. If I didn’t meet her prom dress shopping, I don’t know what I would be doing right now.

Wait.

Prom dress.

Prom.

“Oh fuck.”

“What?” Micah asked as she pulled into her driveway.

“Prom night.”

She shrugged and handed me a bottle of water as we walked towards her front door, “drink up.”

Fifteen minutes later, I had finally managed to pee on the three sticks and we were waiting in her room for the results. Neither of us spoke as the timer ticked away.

“They’re probably negative,” she mumbled.

“Let’s be real, Micah,” I responded.

She gave a shrug and the timer on her phone went off. We looked at each other before going into the bathroom to see the results.

Three little plus signs stared back at me and I fell to my knees with tears pricking my eyes. Micah took a sharp breath and knelt next to me. I felt her pull me into a hug, but I was numb.

What am I going to do?

What are my parents going to think?

What am I going to tell Riley?

Shit. Riley.

“Fuck,” I cursed.

“You need to go to the doctor so you can be sure,” Micah mumbled.

I sighed, “I should probably tell my parents… and Riley.”

She hugged me once again and I closed my eyes.

“I’ll order a pizza.”

I gave a faint smile and watched her leave.

Damn damn damn.

∆∆∆∆

I had spent the weekend with Micah and she dropped me off at my house Sunday night. I couldn’t face my parents yet, so with the three tests in my bag, I drove to Riley’s house. The normally thirty minute drive felt like it took five, and I couldn’t think of anything to say to him. Finally working up my courage, I climbed out of my car and ran a hand through my brown and blonde hair. I knocked on the door and Liam answered it.

“Hey, Eden.”

I smiled at Riley’s uncle and looked past him, “hi, Liam. Is Riley here?”

He opened the door further and let me enter, “he’s in his room. I think he’s worn out from work this weekend.”

I gave a light laugh and walked up the stairs towards Riley’s room. I tapped my knuckles against the door and he called for me to enter. His room looked the same with random posters covering the walls and different articles of clothing, pizza boxes, and dishes thrown on the floor.

“Hey!” He greeted happily, “what are you doing here?”

I took a deep breath, my bag suddenly felt heavy due to the three plastic sticks that laid in the bottom of it. Taking a seat on his messy bed, I wrapped my arms around my body as tears filled my eyes.

“What’s wrong, Eden?” He questioned as he plopped next to me.

I kept my gaze straight ahead and let out a shaky sob. He kept calling my name, but I tuned him out. I needed to say this.

“I’m pregnant.”

Riley’s voice fell silent and I closed my eyes. We sat in silence for a few moments before he began asking questions.

“Did you tell your parents?”

“No,” I mumbled.

“Have you gone to a doctor?”

“No.”

“You should probably make an appointment,” he said quietly.

I nodded and we fell into silence once again.

“I’ll be here for you for whatever you decide,” Riley whispered as he pulled me into a hug.

Biting my lip, I stood up, “I should probably go. It’s getting late and tomorrow begins our last week of high school.”

Riley stood up as well and rubbed his hands awkwardly, “I’m going to talk to Liam- if it is alright with you, of course.”

“Sure. I’m going to wait until after graduation to tell my parents. I’ll, uh, see you.”

“Let me know when you have to go to the doctor. I want to go with you,” he spoke as I stood at the front door.

I agreed and quickly left his house. Driving quickly, my thoughts were all over the place. I finally made it to my driveway and practically dragged myself to my room.

∆∆∆∆

{Graduation}

Graduation day and I sat solemnly as everyone else chatted loudly. Our ceremony was over, but I guess my parents couldn’t make it like they promised. I tried to keep disappointment from consuming me, but it was difficult.

I had gone to the doctor on Wednesday with Riley and she confirmed that I was, indeed, pregnant at what we figured to be nearly eight weeks. Riley had talked to Liam and he was very supportive, although shocked.

Slipping the cap and gown off, I adjusted my cream colored off the shoulder dress. I began to walk towards my car, slightly upset as I saw other grads with their parents.

“Eden!”

I turned around at the sound of my name to see Riley, Liam, and Liam’s girlfriend, Bethany walking towards me. Giving them a small smile, I fiddled with the cap in my hands.

“Are your parents not here?” Riley asked.

I shook my head, “they must have forgotten.”

Bethany pulled me into a hug and demanded that Liam take pictures of Riley with me. We laughed and posed for a few pictures before I bid them goodbye.

“Our door is always open,” Liam called as I climbed into my car.

I nodded and quickly drove off, trying to figure out how to tell my parents. Riley was easier to talk to and Liam was very calm, but my mom and dad are going to be a different story. Driving home without really thinking, I soon pulled into the driveway and saw both of their cars. I narrowed my eyes and slammed my door louder than necessary.

I stomped into the house with newfound anger and glared as my parents sat in the living room on their iPads and laptops.

“What the fuck!” I screamed.

They both turned to look at me and my mother narrowed her blue eyes.

“Eden Isabella Lawrence! Watch your language!” My mother shouted back.

I threw my cap and gown at them as tears filled my eyes, “where were you?”

My father looked sadly at the items as realization dawned on him, “I’m so sorry, sweetheart.”

“Save it!” I snapped.

“Stop being a child, Eden,” my mother snipped, “it was just a graduation. It isn’t that big of a deal.”

“You two do this constantly! It’s as if I’m not even on your damn radar!” I yelled.

“I think you’re overreacting,” she spoke but I shook my head.

“I’m pregnant!”

My father dropped his iPad on the floor and my mother froze. We were quiet for a few moments before my mother slowly stood.

“What did you say?” she asked dangerously.

“You heard me.”

“Are you sure?” My father asked.

“I went to the doctor. I’m sure.”

He looked at my mother and spoke, “I thought we raised you better than this!”

“You didn’t raise me at all,” I shot back.

“I’m sure you thought of a solution to this little problem,” my mother responded.

My hands shot out to my still flat tummy, a feeling of protectiveness covering me, “little problem? Mom, I pregnant and not getting an abortion.”

“You’re seventeen, Eden. How the hell are you going to take care of a child?” My father interjected.

“I’ll figure something out. Riley is going to help me.”

“I should have known that boy would be involved with this,” she spat.

My father looked down, “you can’t continue to stay here if you’re not going to fix this.”

My jaw dropped at their words. I knew they’d be angry, but I never thought they’d kick me out. Tears filled my eyes, but I held them back and shook my head as I walked towards the stairs to pack my things. I threw a few days worth of clothing into a suitcase and stomped down the stairs.

“There is nothing to fix,” I hissed before leaving the house.

Quickly speeding to Riley’s house, I slid out of the car and knocked on his front door. Liam answered and I immediately burst into tears.

“What’s wrong?” He questioned in panic as he stepped aside and let me enter.

“They kicked me out.”

Liam pulled me into a fatherly hug and shut the front door.

“You can stay here. It’ll be okay, Eden,” Liam whispered, “you’ll be okay.”

∆∆∆∆

I have been with Riley and Liam for almost two weeks. After two days, I had stopped moping about my parents and began to accept everything that was happening.

I’m a pregnant high school graduate that is living with my kind-of boyfriend and his uncle because my parents want nothing to do with me.

Even though I’m only ten weeks along, Riley was picking up more hours at work and I was looking for a job, but no one wants to hire a pregnant girl. Not knowing what to do with myself, I have resorted to cleaning the filthy house. Riley’s bedroom looked like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie, the bathroom looked like an atomic bomb had been released, and don’t even get me started on the disgusting kitchen. Despite the amount of mess, I cleaned my way through it. It’s not like I was paying Liam rent, so it was the least I could do.

I stood in front of the mirror as Riley entered the room still dripping from his shower. I ran a hand over my stomach and frowned.

“I think I’ve got a bump.”

Riley rolled his eyes, “you’re ten weeks along, Eden. You have no bump.”

My frown deepened and I turned opposite, examining my belly from different angles, “it looks like I got a pudge.”

“You’re pregnant. Pregnant women gain weight.”

Tearing my eyes away from the mirror, I turned to face Riley, “how long will you be working tonight?”

“Until nine. Where are you going?”

“Micah wants to go to lunch. Knowing her, she’ll probably drag me to some store and insist on buying me new clothes to accommodate Squirt,” I responded. Instead of calling the baby ‘it’ Riley decided we should say ‘Squirt’ after the turtle in Finding Nemo.

“Alright.”

He quickly finished getting dressed and I got a text from Micah letting me know that she was outside. We walked out together and waved goodbye as I climbed into Micah’s SUV.

Micah greeted me and quickly drove off, telling me about some guy that had been hopelessly flirting with her. I listened and made comments here and there. Before I knew it, she was pulling into the parking lot and we were exiting the car to walk towards the restaurant.

“How many?” The hostess asked.

“Two,” Micah and I said in unison before laughing quietly.

The hostess led us to a booth and sat the menus down, telling us that our waiter would be with us shortly.

“So how have things been since the thing with your parents happened?” She questioned.

I shrugged before responding, “fine. I haven’t heard from them since I went with Riley to get my things a few days after.”

Micah nodded and asked, “and how are things with you and Riley?”

“What do you mean?” I responded.

“Have you guys talked about your relationship? What are you two?”

I shifted and pondered, “actually, I don’t know. We haven’t talked about it; most of our conversations are about Squirt or what’s in the pregnancy books.”

“Isn’t that something you should discuss?” Micah asked, raising an eyebrow.

Our waiter came by to get our drink orders.

“I’ll just have a water,” I spoke before turning back to Micah and shrugging, “I guess so.”

“So how are you feeling?” She inquired, “three months is coming up quick.”

“I know! I’ve just been very tired and cranky. We have an appointment around my twelve week mark. Since the doctor is based out of the hospital, we’ll be able to get an ultrasound!” I explained.

Micah squealed, “remember to get a copy for her Aunt Micah!”

“Squirt is only going to be a little blob,” I laughed, “and how are so sure I’m having a girl?”

She shrugged, “I’ve always called it right with my mother. I’m telling you: you’re having a girl.”

I ignored her comment and proceeded to tell her about how I noticed my belly getting just a tiny bit larger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow.

Thank you to LydiaRose1419 for commenting! It honestly means so much to me!

I have some of this pre-written so updates should be fast for now, but I've recently started a new school program (which means I have to start in the beginning of all the work and I have until the end of May to complete the entire grade.) so after the pre-writes are out of the way, updates may be a bit slower.