Status: On hiatus and probable rewrite. The beginning is actual shit.

You & I

{Gone}

Kieran had been in the hospital for nearly six weeks and he was getting better each day. I spent most of my days sitting next to his hospital crib. They finally let me hold him and now the could hardly separate us. I still haven’t gotten back together with Riley and he hasn’t come to see Kieran.

The rocking chair was slightly squeaky as I held Kieran. He had learned how to drink from a bottle and the tubes no longer stuck from his tiny body. Kieran was significantly heavier than when he was born. I hummed quietly as I gave him a bottle. Kieran’s light brown eyes began to droop and I kissed his head.

A soft knock on the door sounded and the doctor walked in with a quiet greeting.

“He’s doing much better. Once he hits four pounds and at seven weeks, I’m thinking we may be able to send him home.”

Tears filled my eyes at his words. I may finally be able to go home with my baby.

“Thank you so much, Doctor,” I choked out.

He gave a kind smile and placed his hand on my shoulder, “you’ll be great, Eden.”

I wiped my cheeks as he exited the room.

∆∆∆∆

Today was finally the day.

Kieran was going to come home.

Riley still hasn’t spoken to me since he got drunk at the apartment. I haven’t gone back since then, the hospital was my main residence while Kieran was in the hospital. My dad drove slowly and I kept turning around to check on my son. He pulled into the parking lot and grabbed Kieran’s car seat as I picked up the bags.

“Eden,” my father spoke before I could open the door.

“What?”

“I need to tell you something.”

“Way to sound ominous,” I replied and opened the door.

“Eden! Don’t!”

I walked in and looked around as I sat the bags down. “Riley?”

My father sat Kieran’s car seat down and took a deep breath, “Eden.”

Ignoring him, I walked towards the bedroom with the bags. The bed was neat and the nightstand on Riley’s side was empty.

He always kept a picture of us.

“Daddy?” I called out as I ran towards the closet.

“I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you.”

I swung the closet door open and was met with empty walls. Spinning around, my father walked into the room looking sympathetic and apologetic.

Tears filled my eyes. Surely Riley didn’t leave without saying goodbye. He wouldn’t do that to Kieran and me.

“He couldn’t take losing Serena,” my father spoke, “he left and didn’t want me to tell you until you came back. His savings for the baby are in the top drawer.”

“No. No. No. No,” I repeated as I sat on the bed, “he wouldn’t leave us.”

“Eden…”

“He wouldn’t do it! He promised me!” I screamed.

“I’m sorry, Eden.”

My eyes narrowed at my father, “you knew didn’t you?”

He opened and closed his mouth, looking like a fish.

“I thought you changed, Elliot!” I yelled, using his first name, “I thought you changed! You always thought he was no good for me! I bet you’re so fucking happy now!”

“I’m not happy about this, Eden,” my father responded slowly.

“Just go.”

“Eden, think about this,” he whispered.

“Go! I’ll call you if I cool off.”

My father walked out and I heard him slam the door. I entered the living room and picked up Kieran.

“At least I have you,” I whispered as I kissed his forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this is the last prewrite I have. :(

While most people will be getting out of school for the summer, I'll still have schoolwork to do.