Status: All characters and events are completely fictional. Any connections with real life are just a coincidence.

The Second Wave

Chapter 2- Jäger

"I swear to God," I mumbled as the guard handed me my food, "if I have to eat this crap one more time, I'll seriously scream."
"Then I guess I'll bring earplugs next time," he sighed in annoyance.
"Well a girl can't just eat cold, slimy oatmeal day after day after day..."
"Well as long as you're a prisoner here you might as well get used to it," he told me as he unlocked my shackles and slammed my cell door behind him. "Oh, and you have a visitor scheduled for later today," then he walked away, his shoes echoing off the stone walls.
"Just wait till I get out of here..." I said to myself as I rubbed my wrists where the shackles had dug in. But the real thing on my mind was something else altogether. Who could possibly want to come see me? I thought, the question already making me feel a little giddy. Not because I would get to see someone from the outside world (who was actually sane). No. My hope was that they could help to get me out of here. Whether I'd be dead or alive when it happened was the only question.
Now that I was feeling slightly happier, I sat down and ate some of the unpleasantly cold mush, the contents feeling awkward for my throat to swallow. I looked across the hallway at Scottie the Scottish Man's empty cell, it had been several hours since they'd taken him away. Hopefully they've killed the bastard, I thought, the idea making me smile as I imagined him never returning from wherever they took him. But then again, I had always dreamed of wringing his skinny little neck myself. Feeling his bones break beneath my fingers and watch the life leave his eyes.
That would've been nice.
I stood up and slammed my tray to the floor, my mood changing in a sudden flash of anger. I hated it here. I hated it so damn much. It wasn't even my fault. Framed by that stupid.... No. I wouldn't even think his name I hated him so much. He was just one more notch I'd added to my pistol. Figuratively speaking, of course... I began to furiously pace my cell, literally ready to attack anything. I was just so... bored. There was absolutely nothing to do inside these walls of stone.
Nothing but watch the guards periodically pass your cell and listen to the hushed conversations of the other prisoners. Pretty lonely life, actually.
No wonder I was bored...

==-=

Once a day at Rune Hall, all the well behaved prisoners are allowed to a special treat; we get to go into the courtyard. So far, I've been on this special list of disciplined detainees and have enjoyed the semi freedom of this ritual. That, of course, can always change in an instant. The only thing that sucks is that this courtyard isn't outside. Actually, it's just a giant stone (duh) room with tables, chairs, and some stairs that lead up to a second level.
Whoopee. Not like I even care.
I sat alone in my own little corner, all the other inmates either already in their own groups or too intimidated to come near me. Kinda funny how guys convicted of some pretty serious stuff could be scared of a twenty-three year old girl. But I guess that's just the price of being sentenced to years of prison because I "betrayed the National Government as well as my species." I was framed, really. I may be crazy now, but that doesn't mean I always was. Besides, I wouldn't betray my species even if I was totally off my rocker. I wouldn't even categorize that as being crazy. More like sadistic. But it was simply amazing how, after being in jail for only six months, I could become so well known. I was practically a celebrity. Everyone had heard of Jäger Reis, renowned Auslöschen slayer of the Humanity War (only world war when we were all on the same side) turned betrayer of mankind.
So there I was, sitting in my same spot like I do every single day, when this hefty bald guy comes up to me and said "You Danica Reis?"
Sounds like a joke, I know. Unfortunately I have no witty punch line for ya.
It sounded a little strange that someone would call me by my given name, but I stared up at him (I was standing) nonetheless and told him that that was me.
"Mr. Yusuf has requested that you join him upstairs."
Now, I had absolutely no clue who this "Yusuf" guy was but he must've been pretty important considering that he had the big fella as a body guard. "Um, sure," was my only reply. The big guy (let's call him Johnny for narration's sake) turned and led me away from the wall and up the stairs to a shadowed area filled with about a dozen people. The prisoners parted to reveal a man sitting alone on a wooden chair, an all-work-no-play air hovering about him.
"Ah. You must be Danica," he said, his voice smooth and dangerous.
"And you must be Mr. Yusuf," I said, coming to a stop and crossing my arms.
"Please, call me Edward. Have a seat," he gestured to a chair. I picked it up and placed it so the back was facing him, my legs going to either side as I sat down. "So, Danica. Or do you prefer Danny? Or maybe Nic?"
"Jäger's fine, actually."
"Jäger. The fabled heroine of the War. It's a German word, correct?"
"Yeah..." I said, failing to see what the whole point of this conversation was.
"Just like the Auslöschen?"
"Yeah, that's kinda why they picked a German nickname for me..."
"I see."
"So is this some sort of getting-to-know-you thing or what?"
Yusuf just laughed, "Not entirely. What I'm more concerned about is how you can help me."
"Help you? How could I possibly help you?"
He leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees, “Leave us," he ordered the others. Almost reluctantly, everyone left. Even Johnny. "Sorry, I just didn't want them overhearing. This isn't for their ears anyway. Now, it is to my understanding that you are having a visitor later today, yes?"
"Uh... Yeah, but how did you-"
"There are many things I know. And of all the things I've learned, you are the subject that always seems to amaze me. I know that your father was a drunkard and your mother was a prostitute. You were one of the first women to lead soldiers of her own into Auslöschen-type warfare. You were engaged to Lieutenant Jackson but broke it off a few days before you were convicted but-"
I stood up abruptly, the chair falling forward with a clash, “Enough," I said, my voice low and threatening.
He ignored me as he finished,"-but most importantly, I know you're innocent."
"Who the hell do you think you are?" I asked, this guy seemed to know too much about me for someone that I just met.
"Jäger-"
"That's Lieutenant to you, Yusuf."
"Lieutenant, please sit back down and listen to what I have to say."
"I'd prefer to stand, thanks."
Edward shrugged, “Suit yourself. Anyway, so you're getting this visitor today. He's going to offer you a proposal. No matter what, you must accept it, even though you may find it difficult after..."
"Who exactly is coming to see me?"
Ignoring my question, he continued, "Then, in three days, you will be set free."
"Wait. They're letting me go?"
"Yes. Now pay attention. You must first accomplish the task that has been assigned to you. But at some point in time, you will probably be asked to leave for a military base. This is where the plan goes in my direction. Don't go to the base. Instead, head west to the abandoned city."
"Why? Why do I have to go there?"
"Because that's where my son is."
I blinked in confusion, "You want me to babysit your kid?"
"No, not at all. It's just that he has something of great importance. Something that cannot be found and must be protected at all costs."
"What is it?"
"The Pietra Stone."
My stomach dropped to the floor, “But it... it was destroyed long ago at the end of the War. Wasn't it?"
He shook his head, a grim look on his face, “It never was. Don't you understand? The War is still going on."
"No. You're wrong," I said, slowly backing away, "I was there. I saw it end."
"You can't destroy Them without the Stone," Edward told me. "You must help my son use it and finally bring an end to this madness."
I swallowed. "I gotta go." I turned on my heel and quickly began to walk away. "Oh, and Jäger?" I turned. "Tell Jackson I said hello."

==-=

I was freaking out. Not only was my head flooded with all this new information, but now I knew the name of the visitor; Francis Jackson. My ex-fiancé and one of the people who helped get me into this awful place. I'd broken the engagement after I discovered that he actually believed that I was guilty. We were to be married and he'd believed that crap. What happened to "for better or for worse"? At least he wasn't the one who'd framed me.
I had many mixed feelings of seeing Francis again. Part of me still got all bubbly inside at the thought of him, but the other part just got all murderous and I'm-out-for-blood. I wondered how he'd changed. I knew how much I'd changed, that was for sure.
I was now back in my cozy little cell; visiting hours began just after we were returned from being in the courtyard. It was only a matter of time before he arrived. I went over to the wall farthest away and sat down. I ran my hands nervously through my hair, trying to get any knots out. I probably looked horrible, I realized. I quickly (and sloppily) put small sections of my hair into little braids in an attempt to look semi-decent. Now feeling a bit calmer, I leaned my head back against the stone and closed my eyes.
What felt like only seconds later, I was jarred awake to the sound of someone banging on the bars of my door. I lifted my head and opened my eyes. Standing at the door were three guards, two with guns and the other with a set of shackles and a pair of keys. I got up and walked over to the guards, sticking my hands through the hole that would allow them to place the shackles on my wrists. Once they were clasped uncomfortably tight, they unlocked the door and led me out.
"Follow me," the unarmed guard told me, and led me to the right. We walked past number upon number of chambers exactly like mine, curious faces peering out at me to see what was going on. After a series of twists and turns through identical hallways, we came to a metal door. The guard opened it and led me into a large room with a bunch of other metal doors leading off into what I guessed were the visiting rooms (I've never really gotten a visitor before).
I was showed to my room and then the door was shut behind me, the only things inside was a table and two chairs; each on opposite sides of the table so we could face each other. I sat down and began to fiddle with the edge of my bright orange shirt, a stray string providing the perfect distraction for my nervous mind. I felt like I was about to snap. Not a totally far-fetched possibility for someone like me.
Unexpectedly, the door opened and I jumped slightly in my chair. I looked up and that's when I saw him. I tried to swallow, my mouth and throat suddenly gone dry, "Hey." I said, my voice not nearly as strong as it normally was.
He gave a weak smile and sat down, "Hi."
Gosh. He was even more beautiful than I remembered. With dark hair and eyes, he looked sexy from the get-go. And he had the body to match, too. He was dressed in full uniform, almost as if he was trying to taunt me by saying, "I have the uniform of honor, and you have the one of shame." I seriously doubt that that's what he was doing, but that's how it felt to me.
"I see you got promoted," I commented, nodding at the Captain's Bars on his collar.
"Oh, yeah," he said as if he'd just noticed it for the first time. "They did it shortly after... well... you know..."
I scoffed, "Yeah, I know better than anyone what you're talking about."
"Danny, listen..."
I slammed my fists on the table and Francis jumped back a little in surprise. I never used to be this violent. "No. You listen to me. When you proposed to me, you vowed to me that you would, from that moment on, love and support me no matter what. Like what the hell? Like, you actually believed them when they told you that I was in on this crazy cult. I fought for five years in the army. Since I was eighteen. I've known no other life than that of protecting my country and the ones I love. I just thought that you loved me back..."
"Oh of course I loved you. I still do. It was because I loved you that I allowed them to take you away. I just didn't want to see you get hurt."
I rolled my eyes, “Are you effing with me? I've gotten hurt worse in here than I would've if you had just helped me to prove that I was innocent. I could've lived with people talking behind my back and stuff like that but this place I can't stand. Everything is made of cold stone and I sleep on a pile of hay each night. And the worst part? I think I'm losing it, Francis."
When I saw his look of confusion, I explained. "I can feel myself slowly going... I dunno. Insane? Do you know what that's like? It's terrible. I've watched myself turn into this... different person. A violent and angry person. I've become extremely bipolar and have done things that the normal me would find totally immoral and wrong. And the thing that sucks the most about it is I can't stop it. So yeah. A hell of a lot of good putting me here has done." I slumped back into my chair, Francis officially beginning to look a little freaked out.
I sighed, feeling annoyed that he wouldn't just grow up and get on with it. "I was told that you had a proposition for me?"
"Oh. Yes," he said, straightened up and reached below the table to pull up a briefcase which he set on the table between us.
"What's that?"
Francis opened the briefcase with a zip and pulled out a few papers, suddenly getting all business like, "I assume that you've spoken to Edward based on that fact you knew why I was here to see you, yes?"
I nodded.
"Good. Anyway, General Collins has requested your presence up at Fort Sungard. There have been recent reports of people going missing after dark. At first we thought it was some sort of large animal. That is until we saw this." He handed a picture across the table. I picked it up, my shackles jangling against the table.
It showed a large oak tree, the whole thing cleaved completely in two. At first glance, one might think that it had been struck by lightning, the only problem was, there were no scorch marks. Instead, huge scratches raked along the tree's bark and the surrounding ground, some of them as long as a grown man.
I looked up at him, and my heart sank as I remembered what Yusuf told me.
Don't you understand? The War is still going on.
I shivered, "No animal could've done this. These were caused by Auslöschen." I told him.
"That's what we thought. Now, this is where you come in. Seeing as you have a reputation of being the best of the best when it comes to dealing with these things, we, General Collins and myself, thought it would be good if you could come up there and help us deal with it."
"What? Why should I help you? After all you've done to me?! Psh, forget about it!"
Francis blinked, "I thought you'd be thrilled to get to leave this place..."
"Yeah! But for how long? Just as long as you need me, right? Then it's back to Rune Hall! Am I right?"
"Not entirely... The General said that if you were willing to assist us he'd do everything to have all previous charges dropped and ensure your absolute freedom."
I was shocked, "Yeah, attempt. I'm the 'bad guy' remember? Nobody ever does anything in favor of bad people."
"Helping us now would show your loyalty, no matter what you did in the past. They figure that a little time in jail has made you see the error of your ways and will make you more than eager to set things right."
"Yeah, the only thing is, I. Didn't. Do it!"
Francis sighed, "Danny, please. If there really are Auslöschen still out there, you may be one of the only chances we have." I wanted so badly to say no. To see the look of disappointment on his face when I totally denied him and his stupid General Collins. Yet, something inside me kept me from doing just that. Part of it was my moral code that told me it was the right thing to do. And the other part was because of what Yusuf said. I know that I barely knew him and that I had no reason to trust him, but.... I just couldn't. But maybe I'd still go away like Yusuf planned, just so I could still go against Francis.
"Fine." I said, making sure that my voice sounded more annoyed than I actually was.
Francis smiled, "Excellent. I'll see that you're released and then we'll be on our way."
He stood up and just as his hand was on the door knob I asked, "How long until I'm released?" He shrugged,
"I dunno. About three days."

==-=

The next day, I walked straight up to Yusuf, no invitation from Johnny needed. I marched straight through the crowd and sat down in the same chair I'd sat in the day before, my legs splaying to either side of the back, my arms resting on top. I looked him straight in the eye and in front of all the people I said, "I'm in. What do you need me to do?"