Stubborn Love

Chapter Three

Two Weeks Later
Roman had been talking for nearly ten minutes while Lizz worked on a sketch of a new style dress. Finally, she put her pencil down and looked up, turning in her seat to look at him. He had his hair pulled into a bun at the back of his head and he looked like he hadn't shaved or trimmed his goatee in a few days.

"What are you going on about?" Lizz asked and took a sip of grape juice. She got up and went to the fax machine, dialing in a number and putting the sketch through before turning and facing Roman.

"I was saying that I think you should get a paternity test. I've been researching it and it can be done as early as 10 to 12 weeks." Roman watched her carefully, trying to determine how his sister would react.

"I really don't think that's any of your business," Lizz said in an annoyed tone. "Look. I know you don't like the way I do things. You never really have, but I get things done. Now could you PLEASE just stop trying to control my pregnancy? I already have heartburn."

Roman sighed. "I'll just go, then. Do you need anything before I leave?"

"You can stay if you stop being a control freak, but I have plans later with Dean." Lizz ran her fingers through her hair. "Thanks for your concern though."

"I just worry about you," he said softly. Lizz crossed the room and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. He kissed the top of her head and hugged her back.

Lizz walked Roman to the door. "I'm concentrated evil in a compact 5'3" body. No reason to worry, Romie." He laughed, shaking his head.

"Try not to cause too much trouble at the store." Roman smiled and let himself out. Lizz walked to her room while humming a tune that was stuck in her head. With a small skip in her step, she let herself into her closet and looked through the racks for something to wear.

She felt slightly nervous at the thought of belong alone with Dean for the first time in weeks. Lizz tried on at least six outfits before settling on a simple light green high-low skirt and a black scoopneck top. She grabbed a pair of grey flats just as the doorbell rang,. "It's open!" she called as she quickly slipped her shoes on.

Dean appeared in her doorway while she fixed her hair and makeup in the large vanity mirror. "You always did have a thing for dressing up." Lizz glanced at him in the mirror; Dean's lips twitched into a half smile and Lizz grinned in response. He suspected that she wore the deep red lipstick he liked out of habit.

"You're early," she responded. "And I'm not dressed up. My clothes don't fit the same and nothing looked good."

"Are we taking your car or my truck?" he asked.

"Truck!" Lizz turned around and smiled. She had pulled her hair up into a simple ponytail, but Dean still thought she looked gorgeous. "I might pick up some furniture today."

Lizz walked to the door and turned off the light. "I'm ready. Let's go," she said in a musical tone. Dean followed her and let her into his truck after she'd grabbed her purse and locked the door.

Iron Maiden was playing and Dean turned the volume down so they could talk. Lizz stared silently out the window though. "So," Dean said. Lizz pulled down the visor and was looking in the mirror. "Can we talk about the breakup or should I drop it?"

She glanced at him and then stared blankly out the windshield. "You should drop it. If you weren't going to tell me when it happened, there's no reason to now." Dean tentatively put his hand over hers and she slapped it away. "You broke my heart once and I'm not letting it happen again."

"Lizz, please. I'm sorry," he said softly. After a few moments of her silence, he sighed.

"No you aren't. That's why I slept with Seth," she paused and looked over at him. "To be fair though, I was completely wasted and have no actual memory of sleeping with him, but we were both naked in his bed when I woke up the next day."

His grip tightened on the steering wheel. "That makes me feel SO much better!" Dean grumbled sarcastically. "Thank you for telling me that." He turned into an parking lot and turned the truck off; he was taking deep breathes and he hit the dashboard with his clenched fist. "Look. I just wanted to try to make this work again. If it's mine... the baby... If it's mine, I want to be there."

"I didn't come to fight," Lizz said softly. She unbuckled her seatbelt and scooted closer to him. "I wouldn't have been with you if I didn't... If I didn't like you, Dean. But you hurt me and I don't think I can trust you so easily anymore." She lightly patted his shoulder and Dean let his head fall back against the headrest.

"Let's just get this shopping over with," he said bitterly. She scooted away and let herself out of the truck. Lizz bounced on the balls of her feet up until the point they had walked into the store.

Her eyes widened and she lost the bounce in her step, Dean noticed. "Nope!" Lizz squeaked. "I can't do this!" She turned and Dean caught her just as she was going to run for the door. "Let me go! I can't be here, Dean!"

He stared into her brown eyes while he held her shoulders. "You aren't leaving. Breathe. You need to relax."

Lizz shook her head, her eyes still wide. "No. I can't do this. I can't have a baby."

Dean sighed and pulled her into a hug. "Babe," he said softly. She hid her face in his chest, still shaking her head; she couldn't help but feel completely at ease with Dean, though. "Just look at some stuff. You said you knew there were some things you wanted, right?"

"Not having a baby is pretty high on the list of things I want!" Lizz said. Dean held her at arms length again. "Don't look at me like that!" He turned her toward the merchandise and she squeaked. "Oh! Look at the little clothes!"

Lizz ran off and started looking at baby clothes; Dean stared after her and blinked several times in confusion. "What?" he mumbled to himself as he started walking towards her. "Are you okay?" he asked when he was beside her again.

"Baby socks are so little! LOOK AT THEM!" She held up a package with a huge grin. "This is fabulous. I'm going to buy so many socks for this baby!" Dean cleared his throat as a saleswoman approached them.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" the blonde woman asked.

Dean pressed his lips together as Lizz turned. "Oh! Yes! I was hoping I could start a registry for things my baby will need." Lizz and the woman talked while Dean followed behind, shaking his head in amusement.

The lady told her to ask an associate if she had any questions or problems and gave her a special scanner. Lizz bounced away and started scanning everything she saw.

Dean groaned quietly when Lizz suddenly sank down to the floor in a panic. "What's wrong now?" He squatted down beside her and gently put his hand on her knee.

"I have to pee all the time and there's so much stuff!" she cried. "And the vitamins SUCK." Dean smiled softly and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Don't cry," he said softly. "People are going to stare."

"I'm going to end up a single mom with nobody to help! Don't tell me not to cry!" Dean shook his head. "What do you think of this crib, though?"

"It's a crib..." Dean said slowly. "You aren't going to be alone. You'll always have me-- and Claudia and Ryalnd," he quickly added. "And Roman."

Lizz snorted as she got up. "Don't get me started on him," she said as she looked down into the crib. "He told me I need to get a paternity test! It's none of his damn business!" Dean stood and stared in silence, unsure of what to say; Lizz climbed into the crib. "Oh, yeah! This one is good. Almost as comfortable as my bed!"

"You're going to get kicked out of here," Dean chuckled.

Lizz smiled sheepishly. "Not one of my better ideas. Will you help me out of here?" Dean laughed as the store manager approached them.

"Can I help with anything?" she asked in a false-sweet voice.

Lizz's head popped up in the crib. "No, I think we're good. Thank you."

The woman rubbed her temples. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave." Two large men appeared then, and the manager walked away.

Dean scooped Lizz up in his arms and she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Okay, we're leaving," Dean said. Lizz leaned in to kiss his cheek but Dean turned his head slightly at the last second so she kissed the corner of his lips by accident.

Dean's eyes widened slightly but he didn't say anything as he carried her out of the store. He set her down by his truck and groaned at his reflection. "You got lipstick all over me," he grumbled as he opened the door for her.

"Don't worry. This shade looks good on you," Lizz said with a smirk.