Tongue Tied

4

Alex sat in the backseat as she drove to the arena with Nathan and Jo. She always sat in the back so the two could talk on the way to every game. She also always went as early as they did. It was tradition. She leaned forward, resting her chin on Nathan's seat. He leaned his head back when he pulled up to a stoplight and pecked her cheek.

"You two are disgusting." Jo groaned.

"Sorry I stole your boyfriend, Jo." She mocked. "Just look at his little face." She said, pinching Nathan's cheek.

"Any face looks good if yours is beside it." Jo told her.

"Was that supposed to be mean?" She frowned.

"No, he was pointing out how beautiful you are." Nathan interfered.

"Sure." Jo nodded.

The rest of the ride consisted of Jo and Alex teasing each other. Nathan just laughed, and got involved when he thought one was being too mean. They got to the arena. Nathan popped the trunk so he and Jo could grab what they needed. Alex took Nathan's sticks as Nathan draped his bag over his shoulder. He took Alex's hand as they walked towards the arena. Jo walked ahead of them.

They got inside where the guys took their things into the change room. Alex waited outside of it for Nathan to come give her a kiss before she wouldn't see him for the next four hours. She played around on her phone as she waited. She waved and chatted with the guys as they arrived. Stefan made sure to ruffle her hair as he walked by. She reached him with her foot to give him a kick.

"Brunette!" A voice called.

Alex furrowed her eyebrows and looked to her left. Cameron was walking towards her. His arms were flung open. She laughed, shaking her head as she walked towards him. He embraced her as she approached. She hugged back before they broke apart. He looked her over. He couldn't believe she was standing there in a MacKinnon jersey. She looked the same, asides from her hair being longer, and her body being a bit slimmer. Not that she was big before, she was just a bit smaller now.

"Who would've thought that scoring your number a year ago would work out for fucking MacKinnon?" Cameron laughed out loud.

"I did." Nathan's voice boomed from behind.

A smile spread across both guys' faces as he walked over. They did a bro-hug before pulling a part. Alex watched the two talk, standing close to Nathan. He wrapped his arms around her waist as he talked. He rested his chin on top of her head. Eventually, she finally found a moment to pipe in.

"So, what brings you from UNB?" She asked Cameron.

"Have to come cheer on my children." He stated.

"So we can cheer together." She chimed. "I mean, if Kathy and Graham can handle a game without me."

"Graham won't be here tonight, so Cam can have his spot." Nathan said, kissing the top of her head. "I need to go change and what not, but have fun, alright?"

"I always have fun here." Cameron smirked.

"Don't tell Alex anything about before her time." Nathan pretended to whisper.

"Haha, go away now." Alex spat, shoving away from him.

Nathan grabbed her hands and pulled her towards him. She glared up at him while he smiled at her. He wrapped her arms around him, moving his hands hold her face. She blew a raspberry at him. He rolled his eyes, pecking her lips. She kissed back, deepening it. They pulled away and she kissed him once more.

"Good luck." She muttered.

"You're my charm." He said, giving her one last kiss.

Alex watched him walk back to the change room. She took a deep breath, turning around to face Cameron. He had a grin on his face. She felt her cheeks flush but it faded. He shook his head, throwing an arm around her shoulders as they walked up to their spots. They say quietly before Cameron broke the silence.

"How long?" He asked.

"Huh?"

"How long have you and Nate been,"

"Oh, uh, a year on Friday." She licked her lips, holding back a smile.

"I'm happy for you two, really." Cameron sang, a smile across his face. "I didn't think someone would deal with all this. It's hard for guys in this league."

"Yeah, I know." She frowned. "I've seen some of the guys go through really bad break ups in the last year."

"That's why they all need someone like you." Cameron stated. Alex rolled her eyes. "Seriously, you've done, how many extra curricular things and whatever you could to get ahead of your schooling so you could be with him at all times? If all the guys could find someone like that, holy, Alex."

"He deserves it." She shrugged. "Nathan's a really great guy. I'm lucky to have him."

"Have either of you dropped the 'L' bomb yet?" He shot out.

She shook her head. "I think he tried to once but he just couldn't get it out." She explained. He nodded. "I love him, Cam. I really do. I just haven't felt like this before, I mean, how do I tell him?"

"Aw, kid!" He threw an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into him. "You just wait until the time's right."

"That's what I told him." She chuckled.

"Then you know more about this shit than you give yourself credit for." He pointed out.

Time went by and it got closer to game time. Kathy showed up and was more than ecstatic when she saw Cameron. She chatted his ear off until puck drop. The first period was nothing but penalties. The second was just as bad. Luckily, Halifax was up one. With twenty seconds left in the period, Nathan got a penalty. Alex frowned when he saw how angry and disappointed he was in himself. The third held three more goals for Halifax and eleven more penalties in total.

The game ended with a win for Halifax. The team was also very angry. Alex waited outside of the change room, nervous. She knew how Nathan got after bad games. He wasn't aggressive or depressive, he was just quiet. Nathan was never quiet. When he came out of the change room, he walked right to Alex. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pushing herself on her tip toes, as she hugged him tight. He held her just as tight.

"I'm sorry I didn't have a good game." He whispered to her.

She frowned, pulling back so she could see his face. Her hand rested on the back of his neck. Her other hand cupped the side of his face, resting behind his ear. She stroked his cheek with her thumb. His eyes were dark and he looked tired.

"You don't have to impress me, baby." She told him.

"I feel like I let you down." He huffed.

She shook her head, fiercely. "Never. I'd still be here if you weren't some hockey all-star. I'm here for the long haul."

He pressed his lips to hers, slowly pulling away. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"The feeling's mutual." She whispered before kissing him again.

That night, Alex stayed over at Nathan's house. She waited for him to finish in the shower before he came into his room. He let out a long sigh while he crawled into his bed. He laid with his back to Alex, not wanting her to see how upset he was. She frowned as he pulled the blanket up over himself. She tucked her feet under it and pulled it up the rest of the way. She wrapped her arms around his torso. She rested her head against his back.

The next morning, Alex woke up to Nathan's arms around her shoulders, tightly. She smiled to herself and she cuddled into him. He woke up by the movement. He leaned back slightly, looking at her face. She smiled at him and pecked his lips. He deepened it, rolling on top of her. She smiled during the kiss but eventually pulled back.

"Someone's feeling better." She sang.

"You would do if you got to wake up in a bed next to you." He complimented, kissing her again.

"Nathan! Alex!" Kathy called from downstairs. "Breakfast!"

Nathan shot up, pulling Alex up with him. She followed him to the kitchen. They took their usual seats. Alex sat between Nathan and Sarah as Kathy and Graham served them their food. It made Alex smiled. She was like another member of the family. She listened as all of the MacKinnons talked. She ate in silence, mesmerized by their bond.

"None of us can come tonight, sorry, bud." Graham told Nathan.

"Oh, why?" He asked, eating his breakfast.

"We gotta work." Kathy frowned.

"Alex'll be there. Do you even care if we go?" Sarah laughed.

Nathan shrugged. "True enough." He teased.

Alex rolled her eyes, shaking her head as she ate more of her breakfast. Nathan noticed and pulled her stool closer. She tried to scoot away but he wrapped his leg around it. She whacked his thigh. He grabbed her hand, lacing his fingers with it. She frowned and shoved away from her with her feet. Her stool rocked, and he grabbed it to steady her. She let out a gasp before she burst into laughter. She leaned forward, burying her face in Nathan's side as they all laughed at her.

"You're gonna hurt yourself one day, Alex." Kathy shook her head.

Nathan rolled his eyes. "You have no idea, mom." He chuckled.

Alex swatted him, frowning. "I'm not that bad."

They finished eating and went back to Nathan's room. He started getting ready for his game while she sat on his bed. She played around on his laptop while waiting for him. He came out in his suit, fixing the cuffs on his jacket. She looked up at him, a smile spreading across her face. He looked at her, confusion over his face. She closed the laptop, getting up slowly. She walked over to him, tugging on the collar. She brought him close go her and gave him a passionate kiss.

"Woah, that was,"

"I love a man in a suit." She whispered, her tone suggestive.

"God, Alex," He groaned, walking away from her. "Please just get changed so we can go."

She did as she was told. The pair picked up Jo before heading to the arena. He wasn't aware of the tension, which was sexual, that was occurring between the two. Jo was usually spot on the stuff, but not today. Nathan glanced at Alex in the rear view mirror. She gave him a smirk as she licked her lips. He took a deep breath.

She carried his sticks inside for him, like usual. When he brought his things into the change room, he saw Stefan laughing at him. Nathan narrowed his eyes at him as he hung up his suit jacket. Stefan walked over to him before he went back to Nathan.

"You're a lucky guy." He said, shaking his head while grabbing Nathan's shoulder.

"Why's that?" Nathan quizzed.

"Alex is a freak. Jo was telling us how she was undressing you the entire ride here." Stefan smirked.

Nathan laughed a bit. "She's pretty fun." He confessed, not wanting to sell her short.

"She's a keeper. Don't fuck it up." Stefan called as he walked over to his stall.

"I can't imagine what I'd do if I did." Nathan admitted in an almost whisper.

He walked out of the change room. He made a beeline for Alex. She looked up slowly, but he pressed his lips to hers quickly. She kissed back with just as much passion as he kissed her with. He pulled away slowly, resting his forehead against hers. She breathed heavily as they stayed close together.

"Well that was unexpected." She breathed.

"Fourns was just talking to me about how lucky I am to have you and then I thought and fucking up with you would ruin me." He began to ramble. "Al, I,"

"Nate, coach wants to talk!" One of the guys called.

Nathan squeezed his eyes shut, letting out a deep breath. Alex smiled at his reaction. She brought her hands to his neck and pulled him down to her. She kissed him once more. He pulled away slowly, but knew he had to. He kissed her once more before he walked to the change room. He looked back at her, frowning. She waved to him.

"I'll be here after, babe." She told him before he walked into the change room.

Alex sat through the game by herself. Over halfway through the third, the Mooseheads were up 4-1. Darcy Ashley carried the puck down the ice. Banville of the opposing team laid him out in the middle of the ice. Alex gasped when Darcy went down, because he went down hard. She stood as she watched MacAulay go at Banville. Banville was given a penalty for charging as well as one for fighting. MacAulay got one for fighting as well.

Alex figured all had died down. It'd been an aggressive game and after that hit, she thought everyone had everything out of their systems. That wasn't the case. Not even thirty seconds later, Verpaelst of Baie-Comeau tried to start a fight with Nathan. He ended up just flipping Nathan to the ground. Alex covered her face, letting out a gasp. She looked as she saw Nathan getting up, looking flustered.

Within a second, Fournier was fighting Verpalst. Nathan skated to the bench as his captain defended him. After Stefan had finished, he skated his way to the doors, since he was ejected. Nathan met him at the blue line, skating into his arms. They hugged before Stefan got off the ice. Alex could feel herself tearing up. She prayed to god, Nathan wasn't hurt. She stood and walked down to see Stefan. He turned to her as she approached. He gave her a hug, causing her to break down.

"Nathan's okay. He's a tough kid." Stefan laughed as he hugged her.

"I know. You all just make me sad." She sobbed as he held her. "Thank you for defending him."

"Alex, c'mon. He's like my little brother." Stefan sighed.

"I'm being so lame. I'm sorry." She shook her head, wiping her face. "He was so hard on himself last night and I couldn't help him. I just had so much built up."

"You love him?" He asked, cocking a brow.

She nodded. "I don't know how to tell him."

"He loves you too, you know." He reassured her. "I know how this kid feels about hockey, he's passionate as hell about it. I didn't think he could care about anything more than it." He paused, looking at her confused expression. "Until he saw you."

The game ended in a Halifax victory, 4-3. Alex decided to go clean herself up in the bathroom before she let Nathan see her. She splashed her face, making sure her mascara hadn't smudged. She decided she was okay and went back out. Nathan was standing, hands in his pockets, with some of the guys and their families. His eyes met hers instantly.

Alex made her way over to Nathan. He pulled his hand out of his pockets as he weaved through bodies. When they reached each other, she hugged him tighter than she ever had before. He held her as she rubbed the back of his head. She pulled back a bit to look at his face. He was smiling while she had a frown. His smile faltered when he saw the look on her face.

"What's wrong, Al?" He asked her, still holding her tight.

"Can we go, please? I just want to be with you." She begged.

"Of course, baby. Let me just see if Jo can find another ride." He told her, kissing her forehead.

Nathan walked over to Jo and Stefan. "Hey, uh, do you think you guys could get a ride together? I don't know what's up, but Alex's is really,"

"I'll take him. Go talk to her." Stefan cut him off, squeezing his shoulder.

Nathan nodded, walking back to Alex. He draped his bag over his shoulder, sticks in the same hand. He laced his fingers of his free hands with hers. She extended her hand for his sticks. He shook his head, continuing to walk. She sighed, leaning her head on him as they walked. He got to his car, unlocking it so she could climb in. He threw his things in the trunk before getting into the car.

He pulled out of the parking lot. Once he made all the turns out, he rested his hand on her inner thigh. He squeezed it lightly as he drove. She grabbed his large hand with both of hers. She let out a deep breath, resting her head back, on the seat. She looked over at him. He gave her a glance, continuing to drive. He drove right past the turn back to Cole Harbour. She furrowed her brows, looking up at him.

"Wha,"

"We're just gonna drive and you're gonna tell me what's wrong." He explained, smiling.

She took a deep breath. "I guess I was really upset about how you were after your game last night." She began. He turned his hand, palm up, so she could hold it. She did so. "After you got flipped, I went down and saw Stefan."

"Yeah, Fourns knew you were upset when I went over." Nathan mentioned.

"Because I cried to him about you." She added with a chuckle.

"Babe, don't ever cry over me." He frowned.

She shook her head. "You mean the world to me, Nate. Seeing shit like that happen to you, it,"

She stopped talking as she started to tear up again. He noticed and frowned more. He pulled into a parking lot. He turned the car off, reaching for her. She leaned into him as he held her. He rubbed her hair the entire time she cried into his chest. She had never been one to get emotional like this, but he wasn't going to make her handle it alone. Once she calmed down, she sat up. Her hands rested on his thigh. His hand rested on her waist.

"Don't ever think you've disappointed me, or let me down, or anything. You do no wrong, Nathan. I promise you. You mean everything to me and I," She stopped herself. "I don't want to say it and have you feel obligated to."

He took a deep breath. "I want to say it, Al. It just won't come out. I don't know why." He said, frustration taking over.

"Hey," She whispered, bringing her hand up to his face. "When the time's right."

He nodded. "You're my world." He told her before kissing her lips.

She started laughing. "Is this gonna get worse after it's said for the first time?" She worried.

"God, I hope not. We'd be boring ass people if it is." He sighed, shaking his head.

She played with the hair at the back of his neck. "Let's agree to keep our relationship interesting."

"Do I have a choice with you?" He teased.

She mock-laughed before kissing him again. "Now can we seriously go home? I need to sleep in my bed tonight." She expressed.

He frowned. "You're going home tonight?" He asked as he started his car.

"No, I just own your bed." She grinned.

"With the space you take up, you might as well." He stated.

"Hey! I'm always cuddled into you!" She argued.

"With how much space on your other side?" He smirked.

"Shut up." She rolled her eyes, sitting back.
♠ ♠ ♠
in honour of Nate's OT winner!