But Those Are the Best Kind

Introduction

It has only been a month since he last spoke with Gwen. Only. That word rang through his head, what had only been a month felt like years.

He missed her, he missed her voice. He missed hearing her whisper his name while they kissed, he missed her overuse of big words in her vocabulary, the passion in her voice whenever she talked about science, and most of all he missed the 'I love you's.

They had every class together so it's not like he hadn't seen her, in fact he saw her every day. Every time she walks into class with her knee high boots and adorable little sweaters he can feel his heart skip a beat, and each time she sits down in front of him he practically chokes on how fast he sucks in air before he ends up holding his breath for what feels like forever.

Every night he makes his way over to the same apartment complex, same floor, and same window that seems to always be open incase he showed up. He always props himself up on the fire-escape just a few feet away from the glass thats separating him from what he came there for. Thankfully the building was almost directly in the middle of the city, so he knew every time it was time for him to get into action; which is why he always came in his suit. He hides in the small shadows of the building at night just to watch the petite little blonde girl studying or reading one of her favorite books.

He loves seeing her facial expression change whenever something happens in one of those novels that she loves so much. Recently he's noticed her eyes gazing hungrily at the pages of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter.

As creepy as it sounds, he even knows her routine by heart. She's always leaving for dinner, finishing her homework, taking a shower, and going to bed at the same time. Sometimes he even catches her eyes glancing out the window, as if she was hoping he would show up.

It's not like he doesn't want to just go over to her window and tap on the glass, hoping when she sees who it is that her lips curve into the smile that he hasn't seen in what seems like forever. Trust me he does, but every time he decides to give it a shot he hears that same voice that has been repeating in his head since the accident. -

He ran over to the man laying on the ground, almost in shock at the pool of blood on his stomach. He quickly put his hand on the wound to try and stop the bleeding. Instantly lifting his head as the man spoke, seeing the painful expression on his face as he tried to sit up. "You need to be gone wh - when they get here."

He gritted his teeth together and shook his head, his eyebrows furrowed at the sight in front of him. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I was wrong about you," he paid close attention as the captain continued, raising his eyebrows slightly as Mr. Stacy spoke, "this city needs you." The man lifted up an unbelievably damaged red mask, handing it over to the boy, "Here.. you're gonna need this."

He was breathing heavy, trying to put together everything that was happening at the moment. Almost in complete shock at what was happening, he paused before slowly taking the mask and holding it in his hand. He looked away from the dying police captain in front of him and down at the piece of red spandex in his hand, clenching it in his fist as the captain continued.

"You're gonna make enemies," he sucked in air slightly, trying to fight against the pain in his stomach before meeting the teenager's gaze, "people are gonna get hurt.. sometimes people closest to you. So I want you to promise me something, okay?" he asked the boy who immediately nodded his head. Then the captain continued slowly, making sure that the sixteen year old in front of him understood completely, "Leave Gwen out of it."

Listening to this made the boy quickly look away, his eyebrows seeming to mesh into one with how hard they were furrowed. Tears quickly came to his eyes but he held them back, sniffing slightly as the image of the man blurred in front of him from the salty tears. He tried his best not to blink and let them spill over. He nodded, promising Gwen's father that he'd stay away from her before his breathing started slowing down. And before he knew it, George Stacy's head fell back slowly and he felt his heart stop.


- Just five little words and he knew right then that he was going to regret agreeing with the man. But what could he do? The man was dying for God's sake, his dying wish was that he'd stay away from his daughter and if that's what it was then that's what he'd do. After all, it was his fault that the police captain was dead. He is the one that gave Curt Conners that fucking equation that made the idea of becoming a giant lizard possible. So he nodded his head and promised the dying police officer that he would keep her out of his life. It was his fault Gwen's father was dead and there was nothing he could do about it except stay away.

So it's a month later and here he was, completely miserable without his love and best friend. Swinging left and right from building to building on his bio-cables that he somehow invented himself. His phone had went off just a few minutes earlier, he was already in his suit and ready to go before the police scanner that he programmed into his cell phone barely finished giving the report. In seconds he was already out and ready to follow the police cars speeding down the busy streets of New York.

Being Spider-man was amazing, minus the fact it was the reason he wasn't able to be with Gwen, but besides that it pretty much allowed him to do whatever he wanted. (Well, only if his Aunt May didn't notice him leaving in the middle of the night or the multiple bruises all over his body.) But other than that he loved who he was. This new identity made him feel alive and powerful, like he was made to be Spider-man. His purpose was to save innocent people and that was a responsibility he took seriously. That was something Uncle Ben had taught him before he was murdered, if you could do good things for other people than you had a moral obligation to do those things. And that's what he was going to do, protecting the city was his responsibility.

Sometimes he did get hurt though, sometimes too badly. His ability to heal faster than humanly possible was probably the only reason he hadn't died yet. He used to go to Gwen, he would show up at her window and she'd be there in seconds helping him inside, but he couldn't do that anymore. There were days he had to lay low, after all, he was just a kid.

That's exactly what Peter Parker was, just a boring teenage kid that was always late to his classes. Nobody knew who Spider-man was behind the mask, nobody would guess that it was just a seventeen year old who had saved the entire city a month ago. The only person who knew was, of course, Gwen. That was the only person who understood exactly who he was. The only human being in the entire world who he could talk to about anything and now that was taken away from him.

Peter Parker was always going to be in love with Gwen Stacy. She took his breath away the first time he saw her walk into biology, he knew he loved her from the moment her eyes met his. Ever since that small smile and little wave she gave him before taking the desk in front of him, he knew he was hooked. Ever since that first day of eighth grade Peter has never seen a girl as beautiful as his girl. Except she was no longer his girl, because he left.

After scanning the streets for the blue and red police sirens that he knew all too well, Spider-man followed before finding the source of the problem. Of course, another car robbery. The boy in the red and blue suit rolled his eyes before taking a big leap and flipping over the truck that was following closely behind the speeding car. He plopped down on the hood of the car, making a small dent as the man inside turned his head to see the face of the well known superhero looking back at him.

"Hey, get out of here spider-kid!" the man shouted, quickly glancing back and forth from the hero outside his window and the street in front of him. His eyes seemed to grow wider with fear each time they met where Peter's were under the mask.

Peter leaned completely down on the top of the car before bringing his fist back and slamming it into the window, swiftly grabbing the man before he had time to let out a yell once he heard the shattering glass. Yanking the criminal out of the car, Spider-man grabbed him with both arms before throwing him up in between the street signs and lights. He quickly released some of the bio-cable webbing from his wrist, making sure the man landed on the almost perfect made 'hammock' waiting for him in between the two poles. Twenty feet off the ground was the car-jacker, hanging helplessly as three police cars surrounded him with the officers' guns pointing in his direction.

Before the police-men had time to turn around, the stolen car was already parked on a side way halfway down the block as they watched Spider-man disappear behind a building swinging on that web of his.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you haven't guessed, this takes place after The Amazing Spider-man movie. *Also, I do not own Spider-man in anyway or some scenes used.