Story of a Girl

Sleep

I wake up to the sound of Zacky's phone. The annoying beeping that drives me nuts every time it goes off. I grown and pull the covers over my head

"What the hell is that?" Zacky asks.

"Your phone." I say pulling down the covers and shooting him a glance.

"But why is it ringing?" Zacky asks sitting up a bit.

"Um...because someone's calling." I say tossing his phone onto his stomach.

Zack picks up his phone and opens it placing it to his ear.

"Hello?" He asks.
"Oh hey Shads, what's up?" He asks sitting up and swinging his legs over the side.

Zack stands up and walks out of the room. What the hell could my brother want now? If he's checking up on us, his head will ROLL! I follow Zack out of his room and set myself down on the couch with Zina as he talks. I TRY not to eavesdrop, but it's really hard.

"Alright, see ya tonight." Zacky says closing his phone.

I stand up and walk over to Zack. I wrap my arms around his waist and push him slightly against the counter.

"So what'd he want?" I ask.

"He wants the both of us back." Zacky says.

"Do you need more time? I could talk to him and..." I start.

"I think I'll be OK. I'm starting to miss the guys anyways." Zacky says.

"Your sure?" I ask.

"The band needs me." Zacky says.

"So we're leaving tonight?" I ask.

"Yeah, but I was thinking of you and my family out to diner first." Zacky says.

"Sounds good to me." I say.

I quickly kiss him before walking to the cabinet to grab a coffee mug. I probably would have gotten three more hours if it wasn't for Matt calling. I grab an extra mug for Zack and get him coffee.

"Thanks babe." Zacky says happily taking a sip.

I smile and lean on the counter next to him. I quietly sip at my coffee as I stare into space. I'm so tired that I'm not sure if I can even function properly today. Oh well...I'll catch up on the sleep I missed on the plane ride to Massachusetts.
When the time comes, I get dressed for diner. Nothing special, just a a pair of nice jeans and a light blue blouse. I roll up the sleeves to my elbows and leave the top two buttons undone. I leave my hair as it is, I don't feel like messing with it.

"Hello beautiful." Zacky says coming from behind.

"Your sweet." I say turning my head and smiling.

"Nah...I just can't lie to my girl." Zacky says putting his arm around my waist.

"Awww...your so cute." I say nuzzling my face to his shoulder.

Zack and I take his car since we're heading straight to the airport after diner. The rest of the Bakers take the family van. It's getting really dark out, looks like it's gonna rain soon. We pull into the parking lot of the restaurant and get out. I look up at the sky and feel a small rain drop hit my nose.

"Come on, it's gonna come down any minute." I say locking arms with Zacky.

In the lobby, we wait for Lillian, Zina, Izzy, and Matt. They we're right behind us when we came in. I hear rain pound on the room. Zina comes though the door with an umbrella in one hand and Izzy in her arms.

"Would you take her for a minute?" She asks walking to me.

"Yeah, sure." I say taking Izzy in my arms and cradling her.

Zina's husband is in Iraq. I sometimes feel bad for her cuz she has no one to help her with Izzy. That's why she still lives back home with Lillian.

"Thanks." Zina says opening her arms to accept her child.

"No prob." I say.

Zacky holds out his arm and I wrap my own around it as he leads though the dining hall. The rest of the family follow close behind. Zacky sits at the end of the table and I sit on the end closest. Matt sits next to me, Lillian across from me, and Zina at the other end with Izzy. I order a Caesar salad without chicken for my main course. I personal favorite of mine. I hear thunder that sounds close. Thunderstorms aren't my favorite thing in the world, but I'll deal. Dinner comes quickly, and we all slowly eat. I jump in my seat a couple times because of the thunder. Hopefully it'll go away soon, otherwise we can't fly, and Matt will be pissed. Zack pays the bill and stands up. I grab my purse off the chair as he goes around and says goodbye to his family. I say my own goodbye and follow Zack out out of the restaurant.

"Here, I don't want you getting wet." Zacky says handing me his sweatshirt.

"Thanks Zack." I say slipping my arms in the over sized sweatshirt.

He smiles and takes my hand before opening the door. Luckily we parked close enough. We make our way to the car and get inside. I take off Zack's sweatshirt and put it in the back to dry. He starts the car and pulls out of the parking lot. Boy is it raining, the window wipers are on full blast and still it's hard to see.

"So how was diner?" Zacky asks.

"Mine was really good. Yours?" I ask.

"The steak was a little dry, but otherwise it was decent." Zacky says.

Zack misinterprets a turn because of the rain, and tries to swerve back in the lane. Since the roads are slippery, he loses control and rams into a telephone pole.

"You OK?" Zacky asks.

"Yeah...just a little shocked." I say.

"Could have been worse." Zacky laughs.

"Oh yes." I say.

"Well I better call someone." Zacky says taking his phone from his pocket.

I nod my head and look forward. The telephone pole is falling over, and we just happen to be in the way.

"Zack..." I say.

"Holy shit." Zacky says opening his door and running out.

I try to do the same, but my door's stuck. I do everything I can, but with no avail. The telephone comes crashing down on the car. I close my eyes after a hear the glass shatter. I feel a crushing pressure on my chest. I open my eyes and right on top of me is a mixture of the car roof and the telephone pole. I try to move, but then the pole starts to crush me. It's getting harder to breathe.

"Zack...help." I faintly say.

I try to move my arm. I forgot that we rammed into a telephone pole. The wires are still hot and I get a painful shock. Maybe moving isn't the best idea.

"Zack!" I scream with all the breath I have.

"Nikki? Your OK...thank god." I hear Zacky says.

He walks up to the window. His expression goes from relived to worried.

"Oh my god..." Zack says examining the car.

"Help...I...I can't breathe." I say .

"Hang on...I'm coming for you." Zacky says.

"Careful." I say.

Zacky punches out the window and unlocks it. Wow...I could have done that. He enters the car and sits by my side.

"Zack...I can't breathe." I say.

"Stay with me baby." Zacky says.

"Zack..." I say.

"Shhh...it's OK. I'm gonna get you out of here." Zacky says.

"The wires are hot...careful." I say.

Zack gets to the end of the pole and tries to lift it off me. He gets shocked a bit, but he doesn't care.

"Nikki...I'm not sure if I can get it." Zacky says.

"It's OK...you don't have to be the hero, just stay with me." I say.

"I won't leave, I promise." Zacky says.
"I got it Nick...go." He says lifting the pole no more then a foot high.

I try to move, it's still hard to breathe. The pole crushed my chest pretty bad. I scoot forward and try to avoid the wires.

"Shit...I can't hold it any longer." Zacky says.

The pole slips from his hands and hits me in the head. Can you say ow? Suddenly I can't breathe at all and my world goes completely black.