Story of a Girl

We make a good team

Today's show was canceled due to some electrical problem on stage. On a map from the gas station a couple miles back showed a batting cage. Guess who's making us go, that's right, Zacky. He's a huge baseball person, always has been. He was on the team in high school, and even though no one on the team wanted to admit it, Zachary Baker had a pretty good game.

"Hey guys, look what I found." Zacky says faceting the Velcro strap around his black and white gloves.

"You are really excited about this, aren't you?" I ask.

"You have no idea. I haven't picked up a bat in years." Zacky says sitting down next to me.

"Ok, well we're here. I'll be taking a nap." Jerry says stopping the bus and putting down the back of his seat.

"Thanks Jerry." Zacky says hopping off the bus.

Johnny and I exchange glances and we all follow Zacky to the batting cages. All the guys get a cage and just hit a bunch of balls...I mean that in the baseball term. Val sits on a bench and tries not to laugh watching Matt's curse at the bat when he misses a ball. I lean against the fence and watch Zacky. After hitting about twenty balls, he turns around and walks to the fence. He rests the top of the bat on the ground and lays all his weight on one leg.

"Wanna take a couple swings?" Zacky asks.

"I can't hit a ball to save my life." I say.

"Oh I think you can." Zacky says.

"Fine, but promise you won't laugh." I say opening the gate.

"I won't make a sound." Zacky says handing me the bat.

I step up to the plate and place the bat over my right shoulder waiting to get attacked by a baseball. It comes. I swing...I hit it...except the ball goes up in the air and lands a foot away from me.

"See." I say.

"Here...your position was off." Zacky says taking off the gloves.

"Um...OK." I say swinging the bat at my feet.

"Go in the stand that you had." Zacky says standing behind me.

I do as I'm told and put the bat over my shoulder again. Zacky stands behind me and puts his hands on the bat and then sliding them down so that they cover mine. I look back at him and smile.

"Now match your feet to mine." Zacky says.

"Ok." I say looking down and putting my feet in front of his.

"Ready...and follow though." Zacky says helping me swing the bat.
"For your life eh?" Zacky asks following the ball with his eyes.

"You were the one showing me what to do." I say.

"What can I say. We make a good team." Zacky says.

"Yeah..." I say.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Matt watching me. Like I've said before, but I sometimes feel that Matt is a mother hen that won't let go. Zacky and I are just really good friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
It was hard for me NOT to laugh when writing this. Some of those sentences just sound so funny...