Love Won't Let You Get Away

Chapter Ten

The atmosphere at the 2012 Spike Guys’ Choice Awards was buzzing with excitement as the guests enjoyed the show. When the show stopped for a shorter break the sound of hundreds of people talking amongst themselves at their tables immediately filled the room. Olivia giggled as Emma and Nicholas bickered as they could not agree on whether a movie they had watched together a few days earlier had been enjoyable or not.

“It was one of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen,” Emma told Ethan.

“It was barely tolerable,” Nicholas disagreed.

“Oh, come on, Nicholas!” Emma raised her voice.

“People!” Olivia finally interrupted; uncomfortable with how loud their discussing was becoming. “Please, do not cause a scene here tonight. They’re going to broadcast this on television, you know.”

“Fine,” Emma and Nicholas grumbled in unison.

“Unbelievable,” Olivia sighed jokingly. “I pay you to make me look better, yet I can’t go anywhere with either of you without having to worry about you embarrassing me in front of everybody.”

Nicholas and Emma sunk back into their seats but kept glaring at each other across the table. Emma stuck out her tongue at Nicholas who returned her grimace before getting back to silently staring at her with furrowed brows.

“Looks like we’ve got kids at our table,” Ethan remarked teasingly.

“Just admit that you liked it too!” Emma exclaimed exasperatedly; clearly provoked by her staring contest with Nicholas.

“That movie was total shit, Emma,” Nicholas said with a glare. “And having to watch it with you, of all people, turned it into two hours and thirteen minutes of sheer torture!”

“Looking at your face just now is like torture!” Emma retorted bitterly. “And the movie was no-!”

“Guys, calm down!” Justin Timberlake smiled as he returned to his seat at the table. “I can’t believe that you’re still discussing this subject.”

“’Discussing’?” Olivia smiled. “More like bitching.”

“I never would’ve asked about the darn movie if I’d know it would turn into this,” Justin snickered; though seeming very amused and pleased with the direction the conversation had taken.

“But you missed the best part, JT,” Ethan stated. “For a while there I almost thought that we would get to witness one of the lamest scuffles there ever was.”

“Oh, man,” Justin whined humorously as he comfortably leaned back in his seat. “Why did I think it would be a good idea to stop them?”

Emma rolled her eyes and groaned in response to Ethan and Justin’s comments.

“I couldn’t agree more, Em,” Nicholas stated with an annoyed look on his face.

“Can you guys feel that?” Justin asked as he furrowed his eyebrows together and suspiciously looked around the room.

“Feel what?” Justin’s date, Kelsey De Santis, questioned before taking a sip of water.

“It’s kind of chilly, isn’t it?” Justin continued as he shivered slightly.

“What are you talking about?” Emma questioned sneeringly as she glared at Justin.

“I’m pretty sure that hell just froze over. Nick and Emma just agreed on something,” Justin stage whispered teasingly to the rest of the table; causing Emma and Nicholas to roll their eyes as the rest of the table laughed.

“Ha. Ha,” Nicholas faked a laugh very unenthusiastically as the table quieted down.

Olivia smiled to herself as she could not believe the direction her life had taken. If she had been told a few months ago that she would not only get to become friends with Justin Timberlake, but that he would also effortlessly blend into her group of friends, she would never have believed it.

“Oh, Emma Stone’s up!” Ethan said as the show was about to start again. “Everybody quiet! I love
her! She’s so funny.”

The room applauded as Emma Stone entered the stage and Olivia watched happily as she began her introduction of the next winner.

“Throughout history, since the dawn of time or possibly the inventions of farts, guys have competed, often to the death, to win the title of Funniest Motherfucker. Tonight’s honouree joins these esteemed winners,” Emma joked. “He’s created an animated empire with some of the raunchiest and most memorable characters in history. Whether it’s a talking dog, a homicidal baby or, his latest creation, and alcoholic childhood teddy bear, he’s the man of a million voices.”

Olivia’s heart rate seemed to speed up and her eyes frantically searched the room as she realized who the winner would be.

“And even more than that he is one funny motherfucker,” Emma continued. “The funniest you might say. Here’s the proof.”

Right as the video began to play, Olivia’s eyes landed on Seth. Her hands immediately started to sweat and she grabbed onto the napkin that was laid out on her knees. Olivia was perplexed at the reaction because it was not the feeling she had previously gotten around him. It was not the fact that he looked gorgeous or the thought of their previous kisses that made her feel like this.
She was almost certain that it was pure discomfort of having been so close to him without having realized it. How had she not noticed him before? He did not seem to be aware that Olivia’s eyes were on him. Maybe he had not seen her either? And then Olivia could almost feel her heart breaking as the next possibility hit her. Had he seen her earlier and chosen not to acknowledge her presence in some way?

Suddenly Seth’s eyes flew up from looking at the floor and they immediately found Olivia’s looking at him. It did not matter how desperately Olivia wanted to break their eye contact, she just could not find it in her to take her eyes away from him. As the video came to an end Olivia smiled gently towards him in an effort to somewhat silently congratulate him. Her smile widened when he returned it.

“And now the motherfucker himself,” Emma announced from the stage; finally making Seth turn his eyes away from Olivia. “Seth MacFarlane.”

^^^^^^^^^^

Olivia and Justin had presented an award a little while ago and were now standing together backstage. Just as Olivia’s Violet Sky co-star Christian Bale was exciting the stage with an award in hand, Seth entered the backstage area with Mila Kunis.

“I should go and say hi,” Justin smiled while motioning towards Mila and Seth.

“Yeah,” Olivia agreed and motioned towards Christian. “And I should go and congratulate.”

“You should,” Justin chuckled as he began to walk away. “Come over when you’re done. I want to introduce you to Mila. I think you’d really like her.”

“Yeah, okay. I will,” she smiled.

Olivia somewhat dreaded the possibility of having to talk to Seth. She was not sure she would escape such a conversation without looking like an idiot. She ignored her worries and quickly made her way to meet Christian with a smile on her face.

“Congrats!” Olivia exclaimed as she threw her arms around his neck.

“Thanks, Ollie,” Christian chuckled as he returned the hug. “It’s so nice to see you!”

“How are you?” she smiled as they pulled apart.

“How are you doing now?” he asked; having always been genuinely concerned about her well-being.

“Uh…” Olivia hesitated; knowing that she could not lie to him. “It’s alright, I suppose. I’m afraid I’ve made quite a mess for myself though.”

“Uh, oh…” Christian replied. “Something I could help you sort out?”

“You just might,” she said quietly. “How about you’ll come to my house for lunch someday in return for your genius advice?”

“That sounds fair!” he smiled widely. “I’m free tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow’s perfect,” Olivia said happily. “Oh! By the way, did you get the script from Thomas yet?”

“I did,” Christian replied excitedly. “It’s amazing! We have to do it!”

“I know!” she exclaimed loudly causing Christian to chuckle.

“They’re making me go now,” he said gently once he felt his publicist tugging on his hand. “Are you going to be alright?”

“Of course,” Olivia smiled. “I’ll just go over to Justin. He wants to introduce me to Mila.”

“That Seth MacFarlane is a funny motherfucker,” Christian chuckled once he noticed him standing with Justin and Mila. “Have you ever met him?”

“You might not believe me, but that funny motherfucker is a part of the mess I’m in,” Olivia admitted quietly.

“I’m intrigued,” Christian said with a straight face before giving Olivia a big smile and a quick hug. “I’ll see you tomorrow, kiddo.”

“See you,” she smiled before making her way over to Justin.

”Hey, there you are!” Justin said happily. “Mila, this is Olivia. Olivia, this is Mila.”

“Hello,” Olivia said politely as she shook hands with Mila. “It’s so nice to meet you.”

“You too,” Mila smiled. “Justin has been telling me a lot about you. He thinks we could be good friends.”

“I’m sure he’s right. I’ve heard nothing but great things about you,” Olivia smiled.

“We don’t have much time now so I’ll just give you each other’s numbers,” Justin said; proud that the two girls did not seem to object to the possibility of a friendship between them. “Olivia, have you ever met Seth MacFarlane?”

“Yes, I have,” Olivia replied; surprising herself with the calm and confidence she knew she was oozing of. “Hello, Seth! Congratulations on your win. It was very well deserved.”

“Thank you,” Seth smiled genuinely. “It’s very good to see you again.”

“Mr. Timberlake? Ms. Kunis? Excuse me,” a young photographer interrupted. “Would you mind if I get a photo of you two together?”

“Yeah, sure,” they quickly agreed and hurried over to a more suitable background for the photo.

“How are you?” Seth questioned gently as soon as he was alone with Olivia.

“I’m good,” Olivia replied with a friendly, yet barely-there smile. “How are you?”

“I’m good too,” he answered at once. “Listen, Olivia, I’m so glad to see you here. I’ve been hoping to get the chance to talk to you. There’s something that I nee-.”

“Mr. MacFarlane,” one of the show producers interrupted. “You’ll be on in two minutes. Would you please come with me?”

“Yes, of course. Thank you,” Seth said courteously before quickly turning a pleading look to Olivia. “Some other time? Maybe later tonight?”

“Seth, come on,” Mila said as she came to pull on his arm. “We’re up!”

“It’s alright. Go,” Olivia forced a smile as Seth looked at her apologetically. “We’ll talk some other time.”

“It really was nice to meet you,” Mila smiled to Olivia before hurrying after the producer with Seth in tow. “I’ll send you a text when I get your number from Justin.”

Olivia nodded and waved as Mila disappeared from her view. Seth sent Olivia one quick last look before he also disappeared from her view.

“Olivia!” Justin called happily from behind her. “Let’s head back to our table. I don’t want to miss the end of the show.”
♠ ♠ ♠
All feedback is welcome and any constructive criticism is highly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you who have read and subscribed to the story.