Texas Was You

Chapter 3

Tyler got out of bed the following morning and had just gotten out of the bathroom when he heard jazz music coming from the living room. The wall-mounted plasma TV was tuned to the jazz channel on Music Choice, Lisette curled up on the couch as her lips moved silently and straining forward as if to catch every note.

"Good morning, what's that?", he asked.

"That is Lady Be Good by Artie Shaw, he is my favorite clarinetist. I have just about mastered the song, I sometimes miss a note in the solo", she replied.

"Huh, you play clarinet? But aren't you kind of old to be in band?', he asked, looking confused.

"Oui, I play clarinet and I have been playing since I was a child. That is why I am going to North Texas, the music school is one of the best and they have a jazz studies program. I already have my degree in music, I am going to get my masters in jazz studies", she explained.

"Whoa, I've never heard of anyone doing that. Jamie plays country on the guitar and I can sing a bit, people get degrees in this stuff?", he asked.

"Oui, there are many people who get music degrees. My parents are big jazz fans and I grew up hearing it, I have been playing since I was a child. But my clarinet is back at the flat with Antoine, I usually practice in the morning", she replied.

"That sucks. I've been playing hockey since I was a kid and my Dad said I could skate when I was three, looks like we both got started young", he teased as they both laughed.

"Let me see what is for breakfast", she said, going into the kitchen. Lisette opened the refridgerator and saw nothing but protein drinks, a case of Muscle Milk, a shelf full of Lone Star and a cargon of eggs.

"We usually go out for breakfast, there's a cafe across the street", he explained.

"That we do, sorry about that. Since we go on a lot of road trips, we don't do a lot of shopping", said Jamie apologetically.

"Je comprends, Jamie. I want to see if Antoine is back home, I want to practice", she replied.

"She plays the clarinet", explained Tyler.

"Wow, that is really neat. I play guitar a bit, mostly messing around wtih country music. It's a good skill to have in juniors, all those long bus rides", said Jamie with a laugh.

Tyler felt vaguely irritated as he bit the inside of his cheek, trying to compose himself. "Bennie, why don't you show her your guitar?", he suggested.

Jamie led her back into the parlor while Tyler made coffee, carefully placing the case down on the couch and opening it. "This is my beauty, it's a Taylor", he said, taking the black acoustic out of its case.

"Tres bien, do you have a tuner?", she asked.

Jamie nodded as he found the tuner inside the case and handed it to her, watching as she adjusted the tunings and strummed a few chords. Lisette nodded in satisfaction and started playing Paper Moon, singing the lyrics:

Said it is only a paper moon
Sailing over a cardboard sea,
But it wouldn't be make believe
If you believed in me.

Say it is only a canvas sky
Hanging over a muslin tree,
But it wouldn't be make believe
If you believed in me.

Without your love,
It's a honky-tonk parade.
Without your love,
It's a melody played in a penny arcade.

It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make believe
If you believed in me.

Without your love,
It's a honky-tonk parade.
Without your love,
It's a melody played in a penny arcade.

It's a Barnum and Bailey world
Just as phony as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make believe
If you believed in me


Tyler sipped his coffee and watched the little performance, a slow grin forming on his lips. Lisette played and sang the Nat King Cole classic, her accented alto adding flair to the words as her fingers plucked the strings.

"You're really good, do you read music?", asked Jamie.

"Oui, I studied music theory. It is my third language", she laughed.

"I sound retarted next to you guys, I can't play anything and can't sing", said Tyler with a pout.

"And your taste sucks too, Segs. Drake sucks", said Jamie.

"Hey, Drake is Canadian like us, bro. And he played at the All-Star game in Ottawa and I got his autograph", Tyler boasted.

Lisette put the guitar back in its case and took out her phone, dialing Antoine's number. "Etes-vous à la maison et que vous avez le petit déjeuner?", she asked.

"Oui, petite sœur. Je suis rentré il ya une heure, leur dire que nous arrivons sur pour le petit déjeuner, puis nous allons à la pratique", said Antoine.

"Oui, au revoir, Antoine", she replied.

"I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds hot", said Tyler.

"Then you ought to learn French, monsieur Seguin. You are French, non?", she drawled.

"Yeah, somewhere", he mumbled as Jamie grinned knowingly.

"She got you there, Segs. What did Antoine say?", he asked.

"He said he is coming over for breakfast with Alex, and there is practice", she replied.

"You can watch practice, some of the guys bring their families. Since school doesn't start until next week, some of the kids might be there", said Jamie.

Just then, the door opened and Jordie Benn entered the room. "Guys, why didn't you say we had guests?", he teased.

"Jordie, this is Antoine sister Lisette. Lisette, this is my older brother Jordie, he's a defenseman", said Jamie.

"She crashed here last night, Antoine had a chick with him", said Tyler.

"Just make yourself at home, Miss Roussel. I'll meet you guys at practice", said Jordie, pouring himself a coffee.

"Let's see if you can skate today", joked Tyler.

"I have a girlfriend, Segs. It's about time you stopped slutting around with every hot chick", he chided.

Tyler felt a flush creep up his neck. "Jeez, do you have to rub it in, Darth?", he muttered.

"It's the truth, Segs", he said.

Several minutes later, Antoine and Alex arrived. "Bonne matin, mes amis. You will come to our practice, many of the boys have their families with them", said Antoine.

"Oui, but I want to practice later", said Lisette.

"Je said, je comprends", said Antoine.

"We have practice until two, then we have a game against Chicago tomorrow night. That's going to be an interesting game, they won the Cup last year", said Jamie as the group approaced the cafe.

"Oui, remember that fight I had with Bollig? It is time for round 2", laughed Antoine.

"That's because you were taunting the crowd after your penalty shot, dude. You're lucky everyone in Chicago wasn't gunning for you", Jamie chided.

"I saw that on Youtube, you're a cocky asshole", laughed Tyler, a dull blush creeping up his neck when he realized what he'd just said.

Lisette arched a thin blond eyebrow. "Monsieur Seguin, Je suis sûr que votre mère ne vous a jamais jurer autour de dames", she teased as Alex and Antoine burst into laughter.

"I have no idea what you just said, but I agree said Jamie as the two French men guffawed.

"Anyone going to see the Cowboys game at Ray's?", asked Jamie, seeing a text from his alternate captain.

"Oui, of course. I hope the Cowboys do better than last year, Romo was tres mal", said Alex.

"Oui, mon capitan. And they are playing the Jets, Vick est un mal homme. How can anybody root for that guy?", asked Antoine in disgust.

"You have a football club in Dallas? And who is Romo?", she asked.

"The Cowboys are the bit team here, Romo is the quarterback. That's the guy who throws the ball", explained Jamie.

"I see, but we don't play that sort of football in France", she replied.

"Ray has the best football parties, hsi wife est un bonne femme and the kids are great, there is going to be a lot of food and beer. Once you start living in Big D, you will have to be a Cowboys fan, petite soeur", teased Antoine.

"That sounds badass, I'm still an Argonauts fan", laughed Tyler.

"And I'm a Lions guy, can't be anything as I'm a BC guy", said Jamie.

"They are Canadians, the western guys are always chirping the eastern guys. And us Quebecois are a different beed", said Alex proudly.

"Of course, you are a Frenchy from a long line of Frenchies, Toaster", said Jamie as the men all laughed.

Lisete busied herself reading the menu as the banter swirled around her. They are so comfortable around each other, I have never seen that, she thought with a touch of regret.

Lisette was still deep in thought when breakfast was over and the group drove out to the practice facility in Fort Worth. "The families might be here, just wait in the stands", said Antoine as the men went into the dressing room.

"Hey Segs, did you get with Antoine's sister yet?", teased Ray, Antoine pretending to glare at the older man.

"That is my sister, Wizard. And Seguin, if you hurt Lisette, I will kick your ass so hard you will have your ass where your balls used to be", he said with a smile, his hazel eyes crackling with fire.

"Hey Antoine, Mom didn't raise me to be a complete animal', said Tyler, throwing up his hands in the air.

"Pardon, but you have a reputation por les femmes, Tyler. The last thing I want is for my sister to be online with a bad reputation", said Antoine.

"I gotcha, if anyone messed with my sisters, I'd kick their ass", agreed Tyler.

The team skated onto the ice and the coach had them do a few drills before splitting up into teams for a scrimmage. Lisette watched as Tyler faced off against Alex and won possession, cradling the puck with his stick and skating towards the goal. His face was intense and his movements easy as he skated, moving in towards the goal as Jamie skated along him. With a sudden flick of the wrists, Tyler passed the puck to Jamie who was then stopped on a shot by Kari, cursing good-naturedly at the Finnish goalie.

Lisette focused on Tyler, her green eyes following every move and the excited squeal in her voice when he scored later on by a pass from Jamie. She blushed when she realized that she was staring, looking around furtively and glad that the families were on the other side.

Tyler fired the last puck into the net as Lindy Ruff blew his whistle. "That was a good practice, boys. Go shower and be ready for the game tomorrow", he said.

Tyler looked up and tried to hide his smirk when he saw Lisette blushed as she quickly looked away. She's not the Ice Princess now, he thought with a chuckle.