Texas Was You

Chapter 5

"Bonne chance with school, ma soeur", said Antoine, parking in the lot of North Texas University.

"Bonne chance sur votre jeu, ma frere", she laughed.

Lisette grabbed her bag and got out of the truck, walking towards the main campus and looking about. The campus was quiet early in the morning, a slight breeze rustling through the trees and the song of a robin somewhere in the branches.

"Howdy, are you new here?", asked a female voice with a heavy Texas drawl.

Lisette turned around and saw a young woman her age smiling at her. "Oui, I am trying to find the audtiorium for the orientation", she replied.

"I gotcha, I'm headed that way myself. Are you French, my ma's Cajun", she asked.

"Oui, I am from Roublaix in France but my family lives in Montreal now. I am Lisette Roussel", she said.

"Tres bien, I'm Josephine Marie O'Connor. My mom's Cajun from Broussard in Louisiana and my daddy's just a Texas redneck, we got Irish somewhere in the family back a ways", she said with a laugh.

Lisette immediately felt at eaase as she joined in the laughter. Josephine was of average height and slim, her jet-black hair, dark brown eyes and olive complexion showing her Cajun heritage. She wore a brown suede skirt and a shiny red halter top the color of garnets, matching suede boots on her feet and her black hair swept up with a comb.

"What's your major, I'm in the music program", said Josephine.

"Me too, I am in the jazz studies progam", replied Lisette.

"Damn, you're lucky you found me then. I'm studying choreography and I'm gonna be a choreographer or teach dance. I took tap when I was a kid and jazz dance later on", she said.

"I play the clarinet and I am going to be a music eacher or play in an orchestra", said Lisette.

"Badass, just follow me. How'd you get here?", she asked.

"My brother dropped me off, he has practice and then a game", she replied.

"What does he do?", asked Josephine.

"He plays for the Stars, his name is Antoine Roussel", she replied.

"I remember that guy, he was taunting the crowd in Chicago after the penalty shot. Dad's a big Stars fan when he's not watching the Cowboys", said Josephine.

"Oui, c'est mon frère fou", said Lisette dryly.

"Every year they got the damn orientation, same old crap. Just stick with me", said Josephine.

The women found seats in the auditorium as it gradually filled with students. "Let me see your schedule", said Josephine as Lisette handed her the sheet. "Awesome, we got Jazz History and Music Appreciation together. You oughtta look into the clubs here, us Music majors are a social bunch", she laughed.

The crowd became still when the dean came onstage and everyone turned to face him. Lisette paid attention at first but noticed Josephine on her phone, seeing many of the other students doing the same. That is so rude, she tought in alarm.

"That is rude to be on the phone when someone is talking", she chided.

"He gave the same speech last year, it was either that or pass out. Real classes start tomorrow anyway, you need a ride?", she asked.

"Oui, merci", she replied.

"Lisette, when in Texas, act like a Texan. Does your brother act Texan?", she teased.

"He has a pickup truck, listens to country music and watches Cowboys football game, he is turning Texan", said Lisette ruefully.

"That's Texas for you, once you live here it'll get into you and you'll be Texan in no time", said Josephine.

Josephine opened the doors of a small black Ford pickup and turned on the engine, She's Country by Jason Aldean coming over the radio. "I like everything, show tunes, 70's rock, country, jazz. I saw Aldean at American Airlines last year, he's a great performer. He's playing here in two weeks and I got extra tickets, my cousin bailed out at the last minute. You want to go?", she asked.

"Okay, Antoine says him and his teammates get tickets for this sort of thing", she replied.

"Awesome. Your brother has best French accent, but he's like a big prankster. I like guys who act like adults", said Josephine.

Lisette nodded in agreement. The women drove together in a comfortable silence as an idea came to her, sending a text to Antoine. "Josephine, Antoine, Alex, Tyler and Jamie are going to a rodeo in Fort Worth tonight, there is no game. Do you want to come with us?", she asked.

"Sure, I'll give you my address or do you want me to go to your place?", she asked.

"We will pick you up at six thirty", replied Lisette.

"If you are going to a rodeo, you gotta dress the part", said Josephine.

Half an hour later, Lisette was at the Western Wearhouse looking dubiously at the cothes. "These look clownish", she said.

"Hon, when you go to a rodeo, you gotta look the part. And don't you wanna impress Tyler?", teased Josephine as Lisette turned bright red.

"Reckon all the ladies in Big D like that boy, but if you wanna catch his eye you gotta look the part. Trust me, this is gonna look good on you", said Josephine reassuringly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is a short fillerish chapter, but the next one is going to be better