Texas Was You

Chapter 9

Jamie took one last look in the mirror and grabbed his keys and wallet. "Relax, dude. You're going to psyche yourself out", said Tyler.

"I don't have your kind of game, Segs. It's been a long time since I asked a girl out on a date, especially one like Josephine", he retorted.

"Don't sweat it, captain. Just go and have a good time, I'm going to take Lisette out in a bit", said Tyler.

"I'm surprised you haven't gotten in her pants yet, Segs. Are you losing your touch?", he teased.

"No way, Bennie. I don't want Antoine kicking my ass and the chase is always better than the catch", said Tyler with a smirk.

"If you are just trying to get into her pants, we are all going to kick your ass", Jamie warned.

"I'm not that dumb", he retorted.

"You better not be, Segs", he said as he walked out of the door.

"I'll meet you later at Pearl's, lucky Mom got me dancing lessons", laughed Tyler.

Jamie texted Josephine and went downstairs to the garage, turning on the engine and backing out of the space while Outlaw Man by the Eagles came from the speakers. That's my more Tyler's song than mine, he mused.

Jamie drove to Josephine's house and he couldn't help the grin on his face when he saw that she came out the door, getting out of the truck and helping her into the passenger's seat. "My, aren't you the gentleman", she drawled.

"My Mom and Dad didn't raise us to be animals, and you look great", he said.

"Thank you, Jamie. You are going to like Pearl's, it's a real cowboy dance hall and it was built by Buffalo Bill", she said.

"Wow, that is awesome. Tyler and Lisette are meeting us there, what do you want for dinner?", he asked.

"Let's go to Joe T's, since it's Monday it's not as crowded", she suggested.

"That place is great, that was the first real Mexican food I had when I first came to Dallas', he said as he added the address to the GPS and waited for directions.

Jamie kept most of the attention on the road but he kept glancing over at Josephine through the corner of his eye. She wore a black denim skirt that showed off her long dancer's legs and a dark blue halter top with her black hair swept up in a loose knot, a few loose curls brushing her cheek. Jamie did his best to concentrate on the road but his gaze kept drifting to the girl in the passenger's seat. A sudden image of her with those long legs around him made his blood go south as he willed himself to remain calm.

Jamie parked the truck in the garage and quickly moved over to the passenger's side, opening the door and extending his hand. Josephine laughed as he took her hand and helped her out, his big hand resting on her waist jusst below her breasts. Jamie leaned forward and kissed her lips, gradually applying pressure until her lips parted under his. Josephine moaned softly and her fingers tangled in his long dark hair as she returned the kiss, feeling the side of the truck pressing against her back.

Jamie broke the kiss as he tried to catch his breath, seeing Josephine pinned between him and the truck. "Jamie, as much as I like being in this position, security is gonna arrest us if we try anything else", she aid with a throaty chuckle.

Jamie blushed furiously and took her hand, lightly kissing the knuckles. "You are so goddamn beautiful and it's been ages since I've been on a date, I lost control", he mumbled.

Josephine giggled and kissed his cheek, an amused look in her dark eyes. "Jamie, that is so sweet. Let's see where this takes us", she said.

Jame smiled gratefully at her and led her out of the garage. The Stockyards District in Fort Worth was hopping as always with a motley collection of locals, tourists, families, cowboys and suburbanites from throughout the Metroplex standing outside the various club and restaruants, a line outside the Cowtown Coliseum for tonight's Pawnee Bill's Wild West Show and an even bigger line outside Billy Bob's.

"I remember the first time I went to Billy Bob's in my rookie year, that was the craziest place and it was an even bigger place than Cowboys in Calgary, we went there a lot when I was in juniors and we played the Hitmen", he said with a chuckle.

"Billy Bob's got all the tourists bbut it's still fun, you gotta go when they have the rodeo", she replied.

After dinner, they were at Pearl's Dance Hall and Saloon siting at a table with Tyler and Lisette as a waitress set down their drinks, Lone Star for the men, a tequini for Josephine and a gin and tonic for Lisette. The former bordeloo was about three-quarters full as the bartenders wearing smocks worked behind the polished mahogany bar, above which hung several gilt-edged portraits fo nude women looking down at the patrons. A balcony overlooked the first floor and a giant crystal chandelier illuminated the room, a band on a small stage setting up.

Jamie took a sip of his beer and glanced around the room, raising an eyebrow when he saw several of the Montreal Canadiens at another table, motioning for them to come over. "Looks like you guys got here early", he teased.

"Yeah, thought I'd show the noobs the best saloon in Texas", said Carey Price.

"We're not noobs, Pricey", said Brendan Gallagher good-naturedly.

"But you guys haven't been to Dallas yet", he retorted.

"Uh huh, I went to Dallas for a vacation when I was in high school, Pricey", said Alex Galchenyuk.

"Are you trying to act like an American, Chucky?", teased Brendan.

"I am an American, Gally. And you aren't really Irish, you're Canadian", he shot back.

"Ladies, this is Carey Price, Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk of the Montreal Canadiens. Guys, this is my girlfriend Josephine O'Connor and Tyler's girl Lisette Roussel", said Jamie as everyone shook hands.

"Bonjour, messieurs. Parlez Francais?", asked Lisette.

"Uh, non. We're not French, ma'am. Pricey's from out west, I'm from Vancouver and Chucky's Russian, but he insists on saying he's American", joked Brendan as Alex flipped him off.

"I was born in Wisconsin, that makes me American", he boasted.

"But you have an accent and you lived there", he retorted.

Both women tried not to laugh as the two chirped each other. "You guys are like an old married couple", teased Josephine.

"I'm older so I'm always messing with him, he messes with me", laughed Brendan.

"This is one thing I don't miss about the US", sighed Alex, taking a sip of O'Doul's.

"I know, that sucks so bad", agreed Tyler.

"I'm surprised you found yourself a lady, Seguin. Didn't you get run out of Boston for that?", joked Alex.

"Boston media sucks, here in Big D people leave you alone. And she's Antoine sister, I don't want him kicking my ass", he joked as Lisette gave him a look.

"Don't have your girl mad at you, Segs", joked Brendan.

"Tyler, I know you are just joking, but believe me, Antoine can kick your ass", she said pertly as the men hooted with laughter.

The band finished sound check and they began to play. Tyler sipped his beer and tapped his foot in time to the rhythm as the band played a shuffling western swing number, a few couples venturing onto the dance floor. "Let's go dance", he said.

Tyler took her hand and led her onto the dance floor as the band played, soon followed by Jamie and Josephine. Lisette let him lead her in the dance as he took her in his arms and they did a waltz. "I told you Mom made me take dancing lessons", he chuckled.

Jamie was unsure of himself as Josephine showed him how to do a two-step. "One thing about us Cajuns, reckon we all know how to dance. This is how you lead", she explained.

Jamie followed her movements and was soon leading her in the dance, an encouring smile her face. The band played a slow song and both couples did a slow waltz, Lisette letting Tyler take the lead. Josephine was more bold as she wrapped her arms around his neck and swayed against him, Jamie's hand on her lower back just above her ass as they swayed. He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss as she gave him an enigmatic little smile. "Not yet", she murmured.

The couples went back to their table and everyone had a good laugh when they saw Alex and Brendan trying to get girls to dance with them. "Guys, girls don't want to dance with your Yankee selves", laughed Josephine.

"We're not used to this kind of dancing, it's easier in Montreal", said Brendan.

"Down here in Big D, unless you play for the Cowboys, you aren't really a celebrity. You'll have to try harder to get chicks", laughed Tyler.

"He's right, Gally. Dallas is crazy for football", said Alex.

"That sucks for us, Chucky. We're playing Phoenix next, maybe chicks like hockey players there", said Brendan as Jamie and Tyler exchanged dubious looks.