Status: NaNoWriMo '13 - Complete

635798

Chapter 15

"We all know that you're a beautiful girl in this horrible world."
-"Is it Progression When a Cannibal Uses a Fork?" by Chiodos


A week passed and August was coming to its end. The heat even started to disappear. Prisoners were relieved about this. Nazis were too. None of us sweated bullets in these heavy uniforms now.

635798 was discharged from the hospital the morning after the incident. I walked her to Jürgen’s mansion, skipping my morning duties. The bandage she wore was stained with blood and Jürgen promised to change it since the nurses wouldn’t. At least our nightly meetings began again. I brought food and water to her every night and did all the talking while she listened. I changed her bandage only once that week. If I changed it every day someone would’ve noticed and most likely reported it. We didn’t need that happening. Every night ended with 635798 squeezing my right hand and me watching her get into the barrack safely. If only the electrified fence wasn’t there. Then I would kiss her goodbye. She deserved it.

One night, I was hanging out with my sisters in the room they shared. Vater brought Mutter out and Jürgen had to perform a task elsewhere. I wasn’t wearing my uniform. Lenz was standing guard outside. No one passed when he was guard. That meant no Nazi leaders could walk in and catch me. For once I was able to wear jeans and a regular t-shirt.

Abbey was tossing and turning in her bed while Aalyshah read a book. I was sitting in a chair doing the same. I didn’t exactly comprehend anything the book said. It was a romance, and I wasn’t too fond of those. I was just desperate to read something and this was all Aalyshah had. It was either this or Abbey’s children’s books.

“Wolfgang!” Abbey suddenly exclaimed. “Make Aalyshah turn the lamp off!”

“He’s using it, too,” Aalyshah said, not looking up from her book.

“I can’t sleep,” Abbey whined.

“Too bad,” Aalyshah snapped.

Abbey sat up. “Wolfgang, tell me a story.”

“I have no stories to tell. You know them all.”

“Tell me that one.”

“Can’t. Already halfway into it. Besides, you wouldn’t like it. It’s too mature for you.”

“Then make one up.”

I set the book down. “You know I can’t do that. I was a terrible writer back in my school days.”

“I don’t care.”

I sighed. I walked over to Abbey’s bed and sat down. “What do you want to hear about?”

“Love story!” Abbey exclaimed excitedly. “Aalyshah, come here and listen with me.”

I mentally groaned. Back in school we had to write a love story. I was always a terrible writer. I “told” instead of “showed”. I still didn’t know what that meant.

Aalyshah climbed into Abbey’s bed. She slouched against the wall, Abbey leaning against her. Abbey was beaming. She really did want me to make up a crappy love story. Oh boy.

“I don’t know where to start,” I said.

“Once upon a time,” Abbey suggested.

There was a knock on the door.

“Did I hear that it’s story time?” Lenz said as he opened it.

Abbey giggled. “Yeah!”

“Shouldn’t you be guarding?” I asked.

“Who the hell is going to come at this time of night?” Lenz asked jokingly. “Now get with the story.”

“It’s a romance. Abbey wanted it.”

“Get with it.” Lenz leaned against the doorframe and crossed his arms. He was in a comfortable position to argue.

I shifted in my seat once a decision was made. If I couldn’t make up a story, why not tell them one that already happened? Not like they would know.

“Back in the winter,” I began, “a train came by this camp to drop off some Jews. A really pretty one stepped off the train.”

“No such thing,” I heard Lenz mutter, but the others didn’t.

“What did she look like?” Abbey asked.

“Brunette hair. Possibly curly. Chocolate brown eyes. She was around my age. Had a mental disorder with no name. Ihre Mutter was pregnant and ihr Vater was weak. She was separated from both of them. In the camp, her hair was cut off and she was given a number and a uniform. During this process, she met a little girl. Around your age, Abbey.”

“Did they survive?” Aalyshah asked.

I nodded. “For a while. One day in July, two Nazis and a dog caught the woman digging by the fence. She was covered head to toe in mud, but one Nazi thought she was still beautiful. The Vater of that Nazi thought she was trying to escape. He had the dog attack her. Luckily the son was brave enough to pull the dog away. They agreed to meet up later that night. The son brought food, water, and bandages.”

“He was a good Nazi then,” Aalyshah said.

“Sounds like a bad Nazi to me,” Lenz said.

Aalyshah glared at him.

I continued. “The Jewish woman was actually looking for food instead of a way to escape. She had that little girl to feed. The son tried to get her to talk, but she wouldn’t. Refused to. When he asked for her name, she only showed him her number. They still had many conversations.”

“How was she able to communicate if she didn’t talk?” Aalyshah asked.

“Hand motions and facial expressions,” I said as if it was the obvious answer.

“What did the son and Jew talk about?” Abbey asked.

“Oh, lots of things.”

“Like what?” Lenz asked.

“Germany, ihre Väter, the war and past wars, and what goes on in their lives. Whenever the son gave the Jew food, she saved half for the little girl. Unfortunately, she later died of a heat stroke.”

A little noise came out of Lenz’s mouth. His eyes were wide and his mouth dropped. Suddenly, I realized I said too much. He knew exactly which little girl I was talking about. He was the one Nazi who was always on duty whenever she worked in Buna. I turned back to my sister’s, trying to ignore him.

“Did the son and Jew fall in love?” Abbey asked.

“Yes.”

“Did they run away together?”

I opened my mouth to answer but Lenz interrupted me.

“They didn’t. The Jew’s still here. Hurt, but still here. She works for Jürgen. She was the waitress at that dinner a few nights ago. The one your father shot.”

I glared at Lenz while my sisters sat there, dumbstruck.

Lenz shook his head. “I knew you were having some sort of relationship with that Jew. Wait until dein Vater and Jürgen hear about this.”

“No!” I jumped off the bed and towards Lenz. “Jürgen already knows and he swore not to tell. Don’t tell mein Vater or anyone else. They’ll kill her and me. No best man for you.”

“You expect me to keep this a secret from everybody?”

“If you want your best man alive.”

Lenz groan. “Fine. But what about Gretel?”

“She’s the last person you want to tell this to,” I said. “She and the Jew aren’t exactly on the best terms.”

“Uh, Wolfgang?”

I turned around. “Yes?”

“Can we… Can we meet her?” Aalyshah asked. “Like… Formally?”

I tensed up. “Only if you don’t say anything to anybody.”

My sisters promised.

“What about me?” Lenz asked.

“What about you?”

“Can I meet her?”

“You’ll scare her. Besides, how do I know you’re not lying?”

“I promise not to say anything.”

I took in a deep breath. “Fine. But one more thing.”

“What?” Lenz asked.

“Wear something else. Your uniform will scare her.”

* * * *


My sisters, Lenz, and I quietly crept through the grassy path. Thankfully, Lenz did change, even if I did have to lend him some clothes. Abbey held the basket of food the four of us packed and she skipped ahead. Aalyshah walked solemnly at my side, her eyes scanning all the images surrounding her

“It’s so quiet around here,” she said. “No birds. No animals at all. No one talking. No music. It’s so depressing over here.”

Lenz opened his mouth to say something, but I glared at him to shut him up.

“Who’s that?” Abbey suddenly asked and she pointed in the direction.

I squinted my eyes. A shadow appeared a few feet away at the fence. Legs were hugged and there was hair. The shadow became a body, 635798’s body, once we reached her. She looked up at us, her eyes wide with alert. They shook wildly as she observed each of us. Abbey inched back and forth, debating whether or not to say something. Aalyshah rested against me.

“She’s so pretty,” she whispered.

Abbey finally decided to walk closer to the fence. As she set the basket on the ground, 635798 jumped back. She tried to crawl away, but she kept slipping over her tiny ankles. I stooped down and put out a hand to stop her. Her eyes were wide when she froze.

“It’s okay.” I pointed to Abbey. “Abbey, my sister.” I continued with the other two. “Aalyshah, my sister. Lenz, my friend. They wanted to meet you.”

635798 looked at Lenz. She shook her head rapidly.

“Let’s go,” Aalyshah said. “She’s scared.”

“But why?” Abbey asked. “We won’t hurt her.”

At this, 635798’s eyes went to Lenz again.

“You’re remembering that night in the clinic, I’m assuming?” Lenz asked.

635798 pulled her knees up and nodded.

“You can tell she’s scared. Look how wide her eyes are. She’s nearly in tears,” Aalyshah said. She turned towards Lenz. “What did you do to her? What night at the clinic are you talking about?”

Lenz looked at me, asking for approval to tell her. I shrugged. He could do whatever he wanted. It wasn’t going to be my fault if Aalyshah hated him for the rest of eternity. Lenz motioned her over. It only took him a minute to describe the incident before Aalyshah exploded. Her palm against his face echoed. 635798 gasped and Abbey’s eyes widened in shock. Lenz held his face. A red hand was forming under his eyes. His mouth dropped open, surprised by Aalyshah’s act. I couldn’t help but laugh.

“What is wrong with you?” Aalyshah nearly screamed. “You probably scared her half to death. And you were with Gretel at the time too. Ugh. I swear, Lenz. You should be ashamed of yourself.”

I laughed even harder, falling backwards on the ground.

“What’s so funny?” Lenz asked, aggravated.

“She told you,” I said after calming down. I turned to 635798. Her mouth was formed in a way that said she didn’t know whether or not to smile. I sad, “See? Not everyone is so bad.”

635798’s smile was let out. Her eyes seemed to be closed and her mouth now almost took up her whole face.

“You’re so cute!” Abbey exclaimed happily.

Whatever parts of 635798’s face weren’t covered up by dirt turned red.

Abbey knelt down to the basket. “We have food for you!” She took out two strawberries and put her hand through the fence.

“Abbey, be careful! The fences are electrified,” I said.

635798 scooted closer. She cupped her hands and let my sister drop the strawberries in them. Her mouth was nearly watering by the time the food touched her lips. Juice slipped between her fingers as she ate them quickly. Abbey began to dig a ditch under the fence. 635798 finished her strawberries by the time Abbey slipped the basket under.

“There’s a lot more food,” Abbey said. “I picked out the strawberries. Aren’t they so fresh? Aalyshah made that sandwich and Lenz added the grapes. Wolfgang set the whole thing up!”

As 635798 took a bit of the sandwich, she looked at me and smiled.

“How do you survive in a place like this?” Aalyshah asked. “It’s so… ugly. I would be terrified in this place. No happy noises. Always screaming. Gunshots everywhere. Seriously, how do you do it?”

635798 shrugged. She wiped the sandwich crumbs off her lap.

“Are there any kids here?” Abbey asked.

635798 froze. Her pupils shook as if tears were coming. She quickly shook her head.

“Why?”

635798 looked at me for the answer.

“Uh… They’re at a different part,” I lied.

“Can we meet them?” Abbey asked.

635798 violently shook her head.

Abbey pouted, but her eyes lit up only seconds later. That meant the subject was going to be changed. A subject I feared I had no control over.

“Do you love my brother?”

I felt my face burn red. 635798 giggled. As she threw a grape in her mouth, she nodded. Abbey nearly screamed of joy. Aalyshah was grinning. I felt Lenz’s glare burn into the back of my head.

“When are you getting married?” Abbey asked.

“Abbey!” I exclaimed.

635798 giggled harder.

“She looks so adorable when she laughs,” I heard Aalyshah whisper in awe.

“Why so embarrassed, Wolfgang?” Lenz asked. He had a smirk on his face. “It’s okay to love a Jew, isn’t it?”

I knew where he was going with this. Lenz thought this was wrong. No – he knew this was wrong. Non-Jews couldn’t associate with Jews in such a way. Our Führer wanted it that way. He wanted Jews to be extinct so such a thing wouldn’t happen. 635798 and I were ruining his dream he shared with his followers. How terrible of us.

“Lenz, not now,” I said.

Abbey was sitting too close to the barbed-wire fence, almost intrigued by 635798’s existence. What nine year old like Abbey wouldn’t be? Across the fence was a woman around my age but seemed much younger because of how vulnerable she was. Her hair was greasy and didn’t move. Bones popped out of her skin where a normal person shouldn’t see the bone. She was shoving food down her throat, proving to Abbey she rarely received any around this place. A person couldn’t forget that she wore a gray and blue striped, tattered uniform that would seem like old pajamas to an ignorant child.

“What’s your name?” Abbey asked.

635798 rolled up her left sleeve and showed my sister her tattoo.

“What’s the number for?” Abbey inched closer to get a better look. “Six-three-five-seven-nine-eight. How did you get that for a name?”

“That’s not her real name, Abbey,” Lenz said, crossing his arms. “Every person who comes to stay here is assigned a number.”

“How come I don’t have a number? I’m staying here.”

“Your case is different.”

“But I want a number!”

635798 faced me, a look of warning on her face. I knew she figured out Abbey was ignorant to the ways of Auschwitz because of that comment. She was telling me to explain to Abbey she shouldn’t want a number. This would have to wait though.

“It’s getting late, everyone,” I said. “We should start to head out. Don’t want Six getting caught.”

Abbey groaned and complained. After taking one last grape, 635798 slid our basket under the fence. Aalyshah picked it up and froze, staring at 635798. She was quiet before she said:

“Goodbye. It was nice meeting you.”

“I can’t wait until the wedding!” Abbey exclaimed.

635798 giggled. It sounded like wind chimes blowing in the dull Auschwitz air.

My sisters began to walk away. Lenz lingered for a few seconds. He stood up, wiped dirt off his pants, and stared at 635798. She averted her eyes to her lap, avoiding the awkward gaze.

“Only two good things about this piece of shit,” Lenz started. “She has nice eyes. Very pretty ones, actually. The second thing is that she has an amazing body for pleasure time. Very tight.”

635798’s face paled.

“Excuse you,” I snapped.

“Just know that I’m watching you, Wolfgang. You and I both know that what you’re doing is beyond wrong. It’s disgusting too. I won’t tell your secret, but don’t think I won’t drop a few hints here and there to people. All I can do is wish you luck with this.” Lenz began to turn around but he stopped himself. I heard him gather spit in his mouth and suddenly, it flew passed me and onto 635798’s face. She gasped in disgust. As she was wiping it away, Lenz said, “Same goes for you, you fucking Jew.” He walked towards the direction we came.

I waited until he was out of sight before speaking. “Don’t listen to him. He’s an asshole.”

635798 stared in the direction Lenz walked in. She bit her bottom lip nervously.

“Bad feeling about him?” I asked.

635798 nodded.

“Eh. Don’t worry. He usually forgets everything.” This wasn’t true. Lenz remembered everything. It seemed to calm 635798 down and right now that was all that mattered.

635798 stuck her arm through the fence. She grabbed my hand and squeezed.

“What am I being thanked for?” I asked.

635798 jerked her head towards the ditch.

“The food?”

635798 nodded but jerked her head towards the ditch again.

“My sisters?”

I received a nod and a smile for an answer.

“No problem. They wanted to be here. But I really need to get going now. Mutter and Vater will be arriving any moment.” I kissed 635798’s hand and let it go. The two of us stood up, waved our goodbyes, and I started walking once I saw that 635798 was safely back inside her barrack.

Aalyshah was waiting for me on the mansion’s outside steps. I quietly sat next to her. Her eyes were staring off into the distance. There was no smile on her face. A sad frown replaced that. Her eyes were no longer glistening like they usually did. Aalyshah as a whole was no longer glowing.

“She’s so pretty, Wolfgang,” Aalyshah finally said, not looking at me.

“I know,” I whispered.

Aalyshah’s eyes shook as tears welled up. “Why is she here? She doesn’t deserve to be here. No one deserves to be in this horrible place.”

I wrapped my arms around my sister’s shoulders and pulled her closer to me.

“Her eyes, Wolfgang. Such a pretty color could hold so many emotions. We weren’t even there for an hour and I saw confusion, fear, and happiness. Just under an hour. One’s mood shouldn’t be changing so quickly. I wish I never saw the fear. She’s scared of strangers. This hellhole corrupted her to be like that. And she was dirty. No clean hair. No clean uniform. Face was a mess along with the rest of her body. Even her tattoo was dirty. How could the Nazis just let that happen? Let that happen to everyone here? And she was so skinny. We almost weren’t staring at a human but a skeleton instead. There’s no food here, Wolfgang. Why is there no food here?”

By now Aalyshah was trembling. The more she tried not to cry, the more she gasped for air.

“She loves you, Wolfgang. I can tell by her eyes. The way she looks at you makes it so obvious. Her eyes literally sparkle when they’re on you. She always smiles, too. That must mean you’re good to her.”

Aalyshah buried her face in my chest. I made a fist over a batch of her shirt. Everything she had said to me was still sinking in. Never has anyone said something so powerful. Never has anyone showed so much care, especially for a Jew.

“She’s so pretty,” Aalyshah cried. “Too pretty to be here.”

I hugged Aalyshah tighter. “I know.”

“You have to get her out of here, Wolfgang. You just have to.”

“I would if I could,” I whispered.

Aalyshah pulled away from me, wiping her tears. She took a few deep breaths to regain a normal breathing pattern. Once that was achieved, she looked right in my eyes, hers still shaking.

“Wolfgang, do you think she’ll be able to make it through this war?” she asked, her voice trembling.

“I hope so,” I said, sighing. “I really do hope so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who has been commenting! Something intense is going to happen in the next chapter so stay tuned.

Comment/rec/subscribe/all that good stuff :)