Status: In combination with Kshelton2011 : ) my partner in everything

The Path of an Elite

Awkward Conversation

The next morning started out before the sun rose over the outlining mountain range. Roman went on a brisk jog through the school grounds before ending up at the east training hall. Zircon Bell hadn’t arrived yet so Roman decided to stretch out his sleeping limbs before he really worked up a sweat. Bell arrived as the church bell tolled seven. He said nothing as Roman finished stretching his legs. He motioned with his head for him to run laps.
Roman feared this Bell the most. Usually he shouted to get Roman to go but when he goes silent that’s when he’s pissed. Roman completed his morning workout but Bell’s mood improved none, he approached Roman as he put a battle axe away.
“I expect you to behave yourself.” Was all he said. Roman bowed him out of the room before heading for the showers. He washed the sweat away and scrubbed his arms warm, the chilling winter air was setting in. Since he grew up in the valley mountain weather was alien to him. It never snowed where he grew up, up here in Whiterush though, it snowed every winter. As he dried off and dressed the breakfast bell rang rushing him off to his first class. He passed Arlet on his way to his second class and met up with Qwuarin for his third class. He was glad he had Qwuarin in his science class, he could slack off more. Qwuarin was interested in plants and botany much more than Roman and so he let him have the reins and floated through the class in his tides.
Roman always looked forward to lunch, it was his first meal of the day and now it was natural to meet up with Arlet and her group of friends. They were excitedly talking about the up and coming festival. It was the winter Snow Angel Masquerade Ball.
The girls were giggling and talking about their dresses and what to wear, while Roman didn’t necessarily care for their fashion but he wanted to know what to expect from Arlet.
“We can’t do much with your hair since it’s so short Arlet but we can curl it and pin it up.” Ever said.
“Oh, we could also leave her bangs down to frame her face.” Anora draped Arlet’s bangs down to get a look.
“You guys I don’t even know if I’ll go. I’m all feet remember, I can’t dance!” She argued but she still seemed to enjoy their efforts.
“Well we’ll just have to practice then. Hmm we’ll need someone taller than you to play the male role, sorry Anora.” Ever looked over Arlet to apologize to the tiny pixie girl. “I’m a bit too short myself…” She glanced over to Roman.
He straighten at her glance, in all his days of dealing with pesky women he knew that the best friend was tougher than the heartbroken lover. Ever seemed as tough as nails and wasn’t someone Roman wanted to face head on. He knew what he could handle and in any other case he could take her, but if Arlet were to be hurt…well that was another story.
“I’d be honored if I could be your partner.” He rose from the table taking Arlet’s hand in his. He placed a kiss on the back of her hand with a devilish smile.
He pulled her out from the table and twirled her into his body. Her feet were tangled up but her hands were clinging onto his chest. Roman could feel his heart starting to pound rapidly in his chest but he didn't let that ruin his calm demeanor. He watched as her face turned a bright red but he wouldn't let her go this time.
"It's okay, I've got you. I won't let you trip." He still had that grin on his face.
"Everyone is watching Roman." She tilted her head down to hide her blushing face.
"Let them watch then." He grabbed a hold of her waist, pulling her upward into the air and turning.
When he let her down she had a bright smile on her face that only an innocent child could hold. She was pure as gold, looking up at Roman like he was the only thing in the universe. Roman knew he felt something far more than just a casual friend but he had doubts that only he could know. His life was indeed broken...but maybe just maybe Arlet was just the thing to fix his broken life and make it shine again.
The bell tolled and their eyes shifted around once more to the world around them. Ever was smirking at her friend, whispering things in Anora’s ear that only she could hear. The three girls were just about to leave when Arlet turned her head ever so slightly towards Roman. Her amber eyes gazing straight into his...he watched as her mouth formed words but never really listening.
"I'll see you later Roman." She said but Roman only saw the forming of these words. He smiled to her and nodded his head. She had gone before he knew it, leaving him staring after her like a fool.
"Roman, seriously we have to go to class. You'll get to see her later, come on." Qwuarin took a hold of his arm and started pulling him towards the classrooms.
The rest of the day was the usual boring classes from day to day. Roman was looking forward to each day now because of Arlet and thanks to Ever, he and Arlet would be dancing together in the festival. He was actually getting excited for a festival for once in his life. He would have to get permission first from his guardian but even if Bell said he couldn't go, he would find a way.
That night Roman was in the gym training like always when his mentor and guardian; Zircon Bell, waltz into the gym like he was in trouble for something. Roman felt the heat of Bell's anger choking him as he came near.
"Sword...now." Bell said with utmost rage in his tone.
Roman grabbed the first sword he saw, he stood like he always did but Zircon Bell watched him with scrutinizing eyes. Roman wondered what had happen but he dared not ask. He had to concentrate on his training for now.
"For days now I watched as you flirted with that girl. How many times do I have to tell you that you have no time for that kind of thing! None of my Elite students are swooning over some girl they barely even know and here you are. You don't deserve to be here...you are not perfect. Now drop the sword and do your drills...first push-ups, then so on." Bell commanded.
Roman never said a word because when his guardian is like this he will not stop until he is ready. So Roman did as he was told. Drills for him meant that he had to push everything to the limit of his abilities without complaining or talking.
After the drills were over Roman was to the point of basically passing out, but he was stronger than that. He pulled it together and went to the showers to wash off all the sweat and grime. The pain of it all was excruciating, it was worth it though; for Arlet. He kept saying this to himself.
Out of the showers and on his way to his room Arlet of all people was standing at his door. His face brightened up for he needed to see her face again.
"What brings you to my room?" Roman smirked.
"Oh did you just get back from training again?" She asked red-faced.
"Yes, sorry for my appearance. I just got out of the showers." He rubbed the towel through his hair once more.
"There isn't anything wrong with your appearance Roman...uh I mean." She sighed as if she had just given up talking. Roman chuckled at her honesty.
"You amuse me Arlet." He held his smile.
"I just wanted to know something..." She couldn't hold her gaze upon him.
"And what would that be?" He picked her chin up with his finger to look up at him, but her eyes shifted away.
"Can you teach me how to dance...I know it's impossible with me as your dance partner, and you probably already have someone you want to dance with at the festival. But I thought that maybe if I was good enough at dancing, you might want to...dance with me?" She said more like a question than a statement.
"Why wouldn't I want to dance with you?" Roman laughed ever so slightly. "I've already told you; I would be honored my dear Arlet."
"I thought you were just joking around, I didn't actually think you would be my partner." Arlet smiled, this time her smile triggered those amber eyes to glow with excitement.
Roman was flustered causing him to step away from the beautiful girl. He was almost choked up just thinking about her smile but to actually see it again made his heart go a mile a minute.
"What's the matter Roman?" She stepped forward towards Roman, looking sideways at him with curiosity.
"It's nothing." Roman smiled, trying to recover what confidence he had left. "I'm just tired."
"Then I shall leave you to sleep." She was about to leave but Roman grabbed her arm almost like an instinct. "Yes?"
He lifted his hand away from her like he didn't know why he grabbed her. But he knew why; he wanted her to stay just a little bit longer. Just so he could watch her ever changing expressions.
"Sorry it's nothing. I need to rest...just tell me when you would like to learn to dance and I shall teach you." He smiled and took a hold of his door handle.
"Goodnight." She said so sweetly and she walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I swear they just need to kiss already!

Love you guys!
Altair