A Serum a Day Keeps the Fine Doctor Away

Recruitment

1942 - New York

The sounding of boots clicked every time she walked forward. She had no idea why she was here. In all honestly, she just needed to get away from the nonsense. She reckoned looking for future patients in an army recruit center. It was like a game she used to do. Kind of psychotic one would say. It didn't matter. She missed being outside and hearing the poundings of bombs. It made men shook and cower for cover. For her it helped the rush to save their little lives.

She began to hum as she saw the files of the new recruits, "Ah...new meat." She spoke to herself as she read each of them, "Oh my, this man is missing a finger."

Her lips pursed and her tongue clicked, "His toes will be next." She looked at another, "O'Connell, Michael. Boring."

And another.

And anoth-

"Eww... I can't cure that." She then flipped a new one open, "Rogers, Steven." Her eyebrows shot up at the list of this one's health issues, "What a funny guy." She mused.

WHAM.

She dropped the file and looked over at this man who towered over her, "Excuse me, but what do you think you're doing."

She looked over lazily at her nails, "Looking at the new recruits."

"I don't think you're assigned to do so, miss..."

"Doctor Howlett, sir." She reached for his hand shake.

He tilted his head and recognized the name. He took her hand and was surprised from the grip, "I... I had no idea you're a woman."

"Yes, I get that a lot." She took her hand away and straighten up, "I believe you have fine recruits. I'll look forward to seeing them on the battlefield."

He bowed his head, "Y-yes ma'am." And with that she left him be. She walked outside breathing in the city's air. For a precious moment she can live freely and feel the sun hit her cheeks. It was only a matter of time till she goes back to the battlefield. She raised her hand to call for a taxi. While readjusting her light brown coat, a black car stopped in front of her instead. She rolled her eyes knowing who they were as she got in the back seat.

Peggy Carter gave her an amused look, "Bored?"

"Annoyed." Dr. Howlett corrected as she gave her a sarcastic smile as she grabbed a hair tie from one of her coat pockets and proceeded to tie her hair, "Is there good news?"

Peggy shook her head, "No, we haven't found anyone for Project Rebirth."

Dr. Howlett grinned at her, "That's the good news, then."

She hated the idea of this project. She already lived through one nightmare a few years ago. Dr. Howlett shut her eyes and took in a breath at the thought of it. She couldn't live through another... She trusts the woman next to her. In her opinion, Peggy is the only person she can rely on. Though there was something tugging at the back of her head that things are going to repeat themselves.

-=-

“WAR CONTINUES TO RAVAGE EUROPE!” The narrator’s voice of the recruitment clip filled the theater. The folks are reminded of the things that are happening across seas yet again. Some are burdened with the war, others are annoyed. One person in the room was determined to help his country. Steve Rogers let out a sigh. This was the fourth time he got turned down from the army. He wanted to do more than just collect scrap metal like little Timmy. Little. Steve rubbed his eyes and sighed yet again.

“Who cares?!”

His thoughts were disrupted by a guy who sat a few rows in front of him shouting at the screen, “Play the movie already!”

Steve hissed, “Hey! You want to show some respect?”

He doubt the man had heard him but he hoped he would stop shouting over the advertisement clip. That wasn’t the case. Everyone’s attention turned to the cranky guy. Some started to shift uncomfortably in their seats.

“Just start the cartoon!”

“Hey you want to shut up!” Steve shouted over him. The guy stood up and looked over at Steve with a threatening glare.

“WE’LL FACE ANY THREAT NO MATTER THE SIZE!”

Well then…

The guy’s fist made contact to Steve’s face. This caused Steve to stumble over the metal trashcans in the alley. He stood up and grabbed the top of the trashcan and used it to defend himself but the guy snatched it away with ease and struck his face once again. Steve stood up again with his fists up.

The guy smirked and shook his head, “You just don’t know when do give up, do you?”

“I can do this all day!” Steve spat back, out of breath with blood spilling from his lip. He charged at him but the taller man dodged his hit and punched Steve to the ground again. He stood over Steve and stomped down on the wrist that would’ve struck him. Steve cringed in pain and felt the bone snap and punctured his skin.

“HEY!”

Suddenly, the guy was shoved back by a military man. James Buchanan Barnes glared at the guy who threw a punch towards him. Bucky moved out of the way with no difficulties and delivered a sucker punch at the guy. Then kicked the guy’s ass (literally) which made the guy stumble forward and ran off.

Bucky’s attention went back to Steve and grabbed him to steady him, “Sometimes, I think you like getting punched.”

“I had him on the ropes.” Steve replied still out of breath.

Bucky noticed something that fell out of Steve’s pocket. He shook his head knowing what it is as he picked it up, “How many times is this?” He looked inside to see the stamp read “4F” and the information Steve written out.

“You’re from New Jersey now?” he questioned Steve who was still busy wiping blood off his face and cradling his wrist.

“You know it’s illegal to lie on the enlistment form.” Bucky lectured as he looked at Steve’s wrist. Wincing Steve looked at the way he’s dressed ignoring everything else Bucky had said, “You got your orders?”

“107th.” Bucky answered, “Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out to England first thing tomorrow.”

Steve nodded and looked down, “I should be going.”

Bucky smiled at him and eyed his broken bloodied wrist, "Let's treat that and get you cleaned up."

"Why?" Steve asked, "Where are we going?"

"The future." Bucky answered showing him a newspaper ad. It read World Exposition of Tomorrow.

"Damn it!" Steve cursed, "I don't think the bone will heal for about a month or so."

Bucky chuckled, "I know just the right doctor."

"You think this he is going to fix it good as new for tomorrow?"

"Nope." Bucky shook his head and winking, "In a few seconds and he is a she."

Steve stopped and thought it over twice...no four times. Not the woman part but the... "A few seconds?"

-=-

The door read Doctor Howlett. Bucky knocked on the door three times before he heard a voice saying come in.

“Bucky, I don’t think I have enough to cover for this. I may need surgery!” Steve hissed at him.

“Steve, relax.” Bucky replied in a hush tone, “She’s an army doctor and has helped me and other soldiers.” He turned the knob and stepped right in while removing his cap and greeted, "Dr. Howlett, my friend is injured."

She arched a brow at him and smirked, "Are you hurting your friends now just so you can see my magic tricks?"

He chuckled, "No, ma'am, he was getting a bit shaken up in the alley way." He pushed Steve forward to her.

"Come sit over here, young man." She pulled up a chair and grabbed the disinfectant.

His ears perched at the 'young man' term as he looked her over. She didn't even look that old. She looked about his age…maybe a year younger or two.

"Aren't you too young to be a doctor?" He asked out loud.

"Steve..." Bucky gave him a knowing look.

Steve cleared his throat, "I'm sorry, miss. I didn't mean to sound rude." He stuttered, "It's just you look so..."

She gave him a bright smile, "Yes, I know and it's alright." She gently took his right wrist and looked at the damage, "Oh it's not so bad." She muttered as her eyes travelled to his, "Granted, the radius is a bit chipped and the ulna is split but no need to worry."

Steve was speechless. He had no idea what she had said and assumed his wrist was completely gone and she was only trying to make him feel better. He didn't know if it was her words or how her green eyes looked. No, there's a bit of golden brown in them as well. He shook his head to stop himself from staring even longer.

He was glad that she didn’t notice. She was too busy wetting a cotton pad and proceeded to apply the disinfectant to the open wound where the bone broke through and it made him cringed a bit.

"Sorry," she smiled at him.

"No, no it's fine." Steve said nervously as he gulped trying to put up a tough exterior. Of course…he was failing at that.
"So, your name is Steve." She spoke to get him at ease.

"Yes, ma'am, Steve Rogers."

"Oh..." She looked over at him and suddenly remembered where she read that name, "Did you get recruited?"

Steve gave her an incredulous look wondering how she had known that. Then he figured if Bucky had told her about all his attempts at getting in. His shoulders slumped and shook his head, "No, ma'am."

"Howl."

He gave her a confused look, "What?"

"Call me, Howl."

"Howl." He repeated and smiled liking the feel of it.

"Look here, Steve." She nodded down to his hands. The next thing that happened was nothing Steve could imagine seeing in his lifetime. Her hands were placed on both sides of his tiny wrist and her two thumbs pressed against him. Each thumb was on the major vein. Suddenly his wrist felt numb and warm. Her hands were heating up and there was sort of a glow to them. He felt his bone snapped back into place but no pain came from it. Then the open wound was slowly closing. He could then feel his wrist become normal and in way better shape. He had to remember how to breathe again. This was impossible. How did she do it?

He met her eyes once again and Bucky just smiled excitedly at the sight.

"See? Told ya she'd fix it up in a few seconds!"

Steve was at a loss for words, "it's...it's like a miracle."

She nods hearing the same words over again and then she looked at his broken and crooked nose, "But not your nose."

Steven Rogers is fixed... Not completely.

"I'll wait for you outside." Bucky told him and saluted Dr. Howlett.

"You take care of yourself out there, Bucky." Howl said as she scribbled over an exempt for pay.

"Don't worry about me, ma'am." He replied as he walked out of the door.

Steve walked up to her after collecting his coat, "So, how much would it be?"

"Perhaps a story."

He tilted his head at her answer, "Excuse me?"

"And maybe a coffee." She then shook her head, "No, no coffee. Maybe a soda pop and food." She frowned and held her stomach...she was hungry.

"I don't mean to sound rude but..." Steve suddenly blushed, "Are you… are you asking me out?" He looked her over, "Can doctors date?"

She burst out laughing, "Well this doctor is just merely curious," She leaned over the counter facing him completely, "of how a guy like you is so willing to go out there and kill a bunch of Nazis."

He looked at her determinedly and shook his head, "No, ma'am, that's not the reason why I want to join."

"Then?" She stood in front of him and Steve realized she was a bit taller than him. She was probably just as tall as Bucky.

"I don't like bullies," he said, "No matter where they're from."

Her lips formed into a fond smile. This guy is nowhere near the men she encountered during the war. And she hoped he would never see such wicked things.

She handed him over the exempt slip, "Take this to the nurse on your way out."

He nodded as he took the slip from her and turned to the door.

"Steve." She called out before he turned the knob.

"Yes, Howl?" He turned to look into those eyes once more.

"Don't tell anyone."

He nodded in understanding and smiled, "Never."

Howl is once again alone in her almost empty office twirling the pen around her fingers.

"What a funny guy." She muttered to herself as her hand gripped the pen. Thoughts of the conversation earlier with the people she was with went through her head. She didn't realize that she broke the pen and she looked at the closed door.

"He’s the one.”