A Serum a Day Keeps the Fine Doctor Away

A Serum a Day Keeps the Fine Doctor Away

-Brooklyn-

Two men dressed up like tourists followed Abraham around from a distance. Howl had pulled her dark hair up into a bun and hid that with a boy's cap. She wasn't dressed in her usual SSR attire. She was dressed like a boy in cheap overalls with a marred brown undershirt. She kept her distance as she watched the men. She noticed their faces. They were the same faces. Each of them had really dark hair and dark eyes. Almost reminding her of Johan's. One had a camera hanging around his neck. The other is eating a damn hot dog. They kept following Dr. Erskine around for the past hour and a half.

Sneakily she grabbed a newspaper from a sells man and kept walking to keep up with them. She noticed the guy with the camera pointed the lens to Dr. Erskine. She just needed to take the camera away. The question is how. A loud honk disrupted her thoughts and she jumped not noticing a taxi was right in front of her. She didn't say anything and ignored the cries of annoyance as she walked towards the sidewalk. She sighed and turned back to the two men but they were no longer in sight. Panicking she ran towards the last place she saw them. Getting looks of disapproval from people as she bumped into them, her eyes scanned the crowd again and again. Finally she saw the two disappear into the alleyway. She charged towards to catch up to them. She noticed them running to another direction, they must know that she's after them. She turned to the direction they went and only saw one guy walking farther away from her giving her his back. She started to walk towards him at his pace when suddenly she was struck from behind. She landed down on her hands and kneels and rolled away before the attacker did any more harm to her.

The guy ended up grabbing her from behind by her overalls and picked her up as if she were a mutt. He looked straight at her and sneered, "What do you want, Junge?!" He asked her with a German accent.

She tried to struggle free and she noticed the guy who has her also has the camera around his neck. Her cap suddenly had fallen and the guy smirked, "Ah...eine Frau."

"Let go of me." She commanded and noticed that the other guy walked towards them.

"Not a chance," He pinned her to the wall, "Why were you following us?"

"That camera." She pointed at his chest, "I need it."

The guy smirked at her and shook his head, "Wrong answer." From the corner of her eye she saw the other man reveal a needle. She reacted quickly by kicking the camera guy in the testicles and poking the other one in the eyes. She grabbed the needle and injected to the one fighting to see through his tears. Then turned her attention to the camera man but only to be punched in the jaw. The hit was hard as the man's knuckles were provided with knuckle-busters. Hearing a crack in her jaw line made the camera man smirked as he watched her jaw slack. She fought to held back any tears from pouring out due to the pain. Soon the numbing sensation took place and she steadied herself up to face him while her jaw fixed itself into place. The man's eyes widen at the sight, Howl's angered face became perfect once again. Both of their attention went to the man on the floor who let out a scream. He held his neck to where he got injected and suddenly he began to choke and convulse. Howl concluded that it was cyanide poisoning. The camera man then bolted away from the scene. Howl chased after him. He was leading her to a bay and she wondered if he had a crew waiting for her. She had to catch him before he reached his destination. He crossed the street in which cars stopped suddenly and honked at this mad man. He hopped over a hood of a car and made his way to the edge of a bay. She pushed her legs forward despite her muscles burning and tearing. The man jumped off and dived into the water. "No!" She shouted over a honk from a car stopping at her side and hitting her. She stumbled and continued to run despite the acute pain on her hip. She looked over at the body of water to see nothing. Not a body in sight. She looked around to see anyone swimming. She slammed the wooden floor and stayed on her knees to think.

She didn't notice the people around her giving her concerned looks, not even when the paramedic who knelt next to her and kept calling her.

"Ma'am? Are you alright?" He asked her again.

She looked at him and stood up, "I'm fine." Her hip was okay and so was everything else... that is if she got injured, "I just need a cab."

-=-

"You did what!" Colonel Phillips shouted as he dropped what he was doing and looked at her.

"I chased the man to the edge and he dove into the ocean."

"You lead someone to commit suicide?!"

"No, colonel! He escaped!" She shouted, "There was also another body in the alley way." When she got back it was no longer there. Someone else had been watching and gotten there sooner.

"And what evidence do you have?"

She rolled her eyes and fought the urge to scream.

The colonel stood up, "Do you realize that I had to personally cover you and tell the media that you were a mad woman?"

"I'm just doing my job." She gritted.

"No, you're revealing yourself to the public!" He sat back down to continue what he was doing, clearly tired of lecturing her, "You should have reported back to me but instead you get two casualties on your hands."

Her shoulders slumped, "I'm just trying to protect Dr. Erskine and Steve."

He looked up at her and frowned. There it is. The same emotion in Howl's eyes he saw earlier with someone else when they talked about Rogers. He shook his head, "Oh no... Not you, too."

"What?" She snapped out of it.

"Don't tell me you have a crush on him, too?"

She gave him an incredulous look, "Beg your pardon?" Where did that come from? Steve barely talked to her! Let alone take her out for some tea or something.

"What is it with you women liking the cute little guys?" He rubbed his eyes furiously not amused with this situation like Howl is at the moment. She snorted at his behavior and statement, "I see, the colonel thinks he's cute."

"Get out of here, Howlett!"

-=-

"I see..." Abraham muttered and sipped on his cup of tea, "Well it was bound to happen soon. They were going to find us eventually."

"You believe me, though?" Howl asked him twirling the lemon in her cup.

"Hm? Oh, yes, of course." He put down his cup and gave her a hard look, "Understand this, Howl, you must not speak of this to anyone." He adjusted his glasses, "We must carry on the project."

She let out a frustrated sigh, "Still? You're willing to risk not only a soldier's life but yours?" Both of her hands rubbed her face as she shook her head. Her hands fell to her chin and she bit her index finger, "Abraham, we need to bail and forget this."

"Howl, you failed to understand that we need this to eliminate HYDRA and Schmidt before it is too late." He removed his glasses to rub his eyes, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

She sat back and let out a breath she was holding in. Glaring at the cup she admitted defeat to herself. There was nothing else she can say. She hated the fact that they are abusing her power like the Nazis. There's no denying it, we need something just as powerful as Schmidt to take him down before he grows more in power. She just wished it was some other way by not corrupting a soldier.

She could hear Abraham chuckling, "Your angry expression reminds me of your older brother." Her attention went back to him at the mention of-

"By the way, Logan sends his regards." Abraham stood up to put on his coat and search for his hat, "He is fighting overseas at the moment."

"Is he doing better than I am?"

"I would hope so," he chuckled, "I don't think I can handle both of you at the same time."

She shook her head as her feet occupied the empty chair that he left alone, "I don't think he would want to be 'handled' by anyone period."

Putting his hat on he looked down at her, "Well I must be off, I need to confirm to the colonel about Rogers."

"Doctor," She spoke before he turned to leave, "Why him?"

He didn't answer her question right away but instead he smiled and said, "I think you already know the answer to that, Howl."

She tilted her head puzzled by his statement.

"I mean... Why else would you trust him to see your ability?" he chuckled again, "I promise you, Howl, he will be a good man."

She was left alone... Still puzzled by his statement, she crossed her arms and shook her head. Trust is a strong word. Not that she saw Steve as an evil doer. It was a mere spontaneous act. She met Bucky with a gunshot wound on the right lobe of his liver. She, of course, healed him and that was her duty as an army doctor. He was conscious enough to notice what was going on. He spent time around the base and childishly demanded what was her secret. He never meant any harm. To her, he was like a younger version of her brother... a much younger version. She told him eventually and soon Steve knew her secret as well. She didn't think of it as a big deal. Who is to believe two kids?

Back to the question at hand... Dr. Erskine's answer bothered her and now she was reminded of what the colonel said earlier.

"He's just a random kid from Brooklyn!" She shouted to herself not noticing Peggy who approached her from behind.

She looked at Howl with an amused expression, "Are you talking to yourself?"

Howl jumped as she caught Peggy's stare, a bit embarrassed but she resumed to her usual grumpy position, "Perhaps."

"Well I know it's been a rough week for the both of us and so Howard and I invite you for an early evening fondue?"

Howl smirked, "I thought you'd never asked."

-=-

"So, Howl, I heard you saved Rogers twice." Howard stated taking a sip of his wine.

"Is that the only thing you've heard?"

"You mean there's more?" He wiggled his eyebrows and gave her a smirk, "Word from the colonel says that you find the little guy cute."

Peggy eyed her curiously, awaiting what Howl would say to that.

"Whoa...now he's twisting words." Howl smiled widely as she refilled her glass, "For your information, the colonel was the only person who said Rogers was cute." She shook her head as she swallowed some of the wine, "I don't understand all this unnecessary attention, sure Steve and I talked and I helped him out twice but... Okay I'm not going to explain myself." Howl giggled at this silliness. It's been a long week since she spent time with these two outside of a base or a laboratory.

"So you fancy him?" Howard smirked.

"I did not say that." Howl sang, "The colonel did mention that someone else fancies him, though I personally won't think much into it but go ahead and indulge yourself with this new information."

Hopefully her words will detract the attention away from her. Peggy stepped in and changed the subject before Howard said anything else, "Well speaking of Rogers, I trust that you looked over the vita-ray machine?" She asked Howard, who nodded reassuringly, "Checked it twice, madam."

"Excellent, everything is all set over in Brooklyn." She stated, "The colonel has sent me to escort him tomorrow."

Howl replayed Peggy's statement. Brooklyn. Brooklyn. Brooklyn. It wasn't the fact that Steve is from there. She was reminded of her situation when she was last over there, "Is it coincidence that the procedure will be taken place there?" Howl asked her.

Peggy just smiled at her, "There are no such thing as coincidences."

"Figures."

Howl was going to have a long day... Or perhaps night.

-=-

Howl returned back to base and it was awfully quiet. Not that she minded. Most of the soldiers go out and enjoy the night while they can. She passed her place to sleep and wandered aimlessly. She had no idea what or why she was walking to the new recruits barracks. Perhaps it was guilt. Perhaps this is her time to say goodbye. She knew he would be there but she did not expect Dr. Erskine to be there as well.

"Ah, Howl, glad you could join us." He slurred as he drank straight out of his bottle of schnapps, "Would you care for some?" He offered and Howl politely declined, "Hard liquor and cheese don't go well together."

Abraham shrugged as he stood, "More for me, then." He smiled down at Steve, "You. Sleep." He commanded as he walked... tried walking over to Howl. She turned to him and spoke in a hush tone, "What did you tell him?"

"Only the important things." He replied as he told both of them goodnight and shut the door behind him.

Howl looked over at Steve and smiled, "Well... I hope I'm not keeping you awake," She walked over to the opposite side of his bed, "I do have something important to say."

Steve gestured for her to sit and smiled at her, "You're not keeping me up, like I told Dr. Erskine, I can't seem to sleep."

She took the spot Abraham was previously seated but instead she stretched her legs onto the bed, "I assume Dr. Erskine told you of what is going to happen tomorrow."

Steve nodded.

"Then you must know the dangerous outcomes of this experiment." The next thing that came out of Howl's mouth, she couldn't resist. No one is to know of what happened to her and Dr. Erskine back at Germany but again she was unconsciously telling Steve these things. Maybe because of the fact he wouldn't make it out alive the next day, "Dr. Erskine's life was being threatened by Johan Schmidt."

"Yeah, he said something like that." Steve said as he watched her cautiously. The way she spoke sounded like she would break down any minute.

"My life was threatened every single day when I was over there." Howl admitted looking at the ground as if it were the most fascinating thing in the world. She sat up and crossed her legs while facing him, "I was a prisoner of war, Dr. Erskine saved my life. I knew Johan before he injected himself with the serum. He'd always spoke of this greater power and that we humans have the potential to become something more. He saw that in me and he desperately wanted that. They've ran tests before him, if Erskine didn't tell you that. I saw each soldier cry out in pain." Howl's eyes were beginning to water but she didn't have any means of stopping them from falling, "I've never heard men make those horrible noises. Soldiers from all over the world. Prisoners begging for death. The serum was never ready and I believe it never will be. Johan grew impatient and defied the odds. After the injection, Johan became a monster."

Steve just stared at her, unsure what to say to that. He never thought someone like her would have to go through that. Though it didn't make sense, Howl looked to be around her early twenties. If anything probably a bit younger than him and he was twenty four, though his appearance made him look eighteen. That would mean Howl has been an army doctor at a very young age? He doesn't deny her ability to rescue soldiers from injuries. It was amazing to witness it. It was no doubt that Steve wanted nothing more to be enlisted at a young age and he witnessed young boys being recruited. Though seeing Howl being one of them is so... For a young girl to fight and witness death he just couldn't shake it. Not that he had anything against a female from doing her part, especially a beautiful one like Howl. Steve cleared his throat trying not to embarrass himself but then again he wasn't speaking of this out loud.

"I didn't know Dr. Erskine had been seeking out help from the American Army. I've been locked up in laboratory chambers." She sniffed and tried to smile, "I don't even know how long I was away from sunlight."

Steve had no idea what he just did but his hand acted on its own and went to wipe a fallen tear on her cheek. The act was so innocent and unexpected it made Howl's thought process stop and slightly flinched, the muscles in her body tensing up.

He noticed this and withdrew his hand placing it back on his knee, looking bashful, "I'm sorry."

"No, no. It's fine." She stuttered, "I just didn't expect it..." She hesitantly placed her hand over the one that wiped her tear away, "Thank you." She smiled at him as she returned her hand.

He shied away from her eyes but smiled nonetheless, "Is this why you're against this whole operation?" he asked as he was able to look at her again. She didn't have to say anything as the answer was displayed on her face, "Dr. Erskine told me about it."

"I just don't want to live through it again." She said, "He told what qualities he was looking for in a man and when you stepped into my office it was clear that you were the one he was looking for." She sighed as she rubbed her eyes no longer crying, "You're a sweet guy, Steve, and I just... What I witnessed back in Germany, no man should ever go through that and even if you come out okay I don't want to risk you becoming like Johan." She stood up, "I don't want that happening to my friend... if we can call ourselves that." She finished smiling down at him.

His eyes lit up and smiled as well, "I'd like that and I promise you, Howl, we can still be afterwards."

It's been so long since Howl had experienced this warm feeling in her chest. This feeling said that everything would be okay and she hoped it would be, "Well I'll let you sleep, then." She said as she started for the door.

"Hey, Howl?"

She turned to face him, "Yeah?"

"I asked Dr. Erskine if you were injected by the serum as well." He asked her and her face was unreadable, "And what did he say?"

"He told me to ask you."

She smirked as she opened the door, "Goodnight, Steven."
♠ ♠ ♠
Did you guys see the amazing spider-man 2?!

It was so UGHH!!!! Amazing! I don't want to say any spoilers so I won't express my negative opinion of the movie haaa! It's worth the money for those who love Spider-Man<3

Also I'm going to change the title of this story. I will provide the old title in the short description for people to know. Thank you to the person who commented on this story, I'm glad you and those who subscribed and...recommended? (I had no idea that is an option now) are enjoying this story. I'll try my best to update frequently.