A Serum a Day Keeps the Fine Doctor Away

Assassin

"I know this neighborhood." Steve said as his eyes gazed around in recognition, "I got beat up in that alley." He pointed, "And that parking lot." Then he bowed his head in defeat, "And behind that diner."

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asked remembering something similar she discussed with Howl.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop." Steve replied as he shook his head, "You stand up, you push back. Can't say no forever, right?"

She smiled, if only Howl would hear this, then maybe she'd stop running. What Peggy didn't know is that Howl is fighting a bigger battle. Howl was easily recruited because of her ability and Peggy had to fight her way to be the top agent. She hated herself for being once jealous of Howl. That was before she knew of Howl's history.

"I know a little of what that's like," She spoke. "To have every door shut in your face."

"I just don't understand why you or Howl would want to join the army if you two are beautiful dames." Steve then instantly regretted what he said and tried to correct himself, "Or well beautiful women. Not a dame. Not that I have anything against women being on the army I just-" He sighed in defeat, "Sorry, I didn't mean to offend."

Peggy just stared at him with an amused expression, "You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?"

He chuckled, "Well the only woman I talk to is Howl but she's... She's different."

'Very much so,' Peggy thought as he continued, "Though women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

"You must've danced," Peggy replied softly.

"Well asking a woman to dance always seemed so terrifying." He shrugged, "The past few years, it didn't seem to matter that much... Figured I'd wait."

"For what?"

"The right partner."

As the car pulled up in front of a random antique store in Brooklyn, Steve stepped out of the vehicle right after Peggy. He was confused as to why they were here but Peggy told him to move along. He nodded walking into the store after her and was oblivious to the fact that they were being watched. An older woman appeared and smiled at them, "Wonderful weather this morning, isn't it?"

"Yes," Peggy replied, "But I always carry an umbrella."

The woman responded by going behind the counter, allowing the two access. Steve was led to the back of the store where book cases covered the wall. He was startled at the clicking sounds the books made and opened to a secret passage way. He looked at his surroundings as he followed Peggy through the hallway. The soldiers in there stopped to look at them as they passed through. As the doors open to the laboratory he was met with so many faces that stared back at him. The only face he recognized belonged to Dr. Erskine. Peggy then led him down the stairs near the vita ray machine. Dr. Erskine smiled and greeted, "Good morning." Steve shook his hand still amazed by all this. He was brought down to reality as a flash of light blinded him for a few seconds by a camera. "Please, not now." Dr. Erskine shooed the camera guy away and turned to Steve, "Are you ready?" Steve only nodded. "Good. Take off your shirt, your tie, and your hat."

Steve handed his hat and tie to a nearby nurse and proceeded to unbutton his shirt. He looked around, "Where's Howl?" he asked Peggy who stood by waiting.

"She's... she's on an assignment." She answered.

Steve frowned but he remembered the conversation he had with Howl last night. She wouldn't want to be here. He understood that she is traumatized of what had happened in Germany but deep down he couldn't help but feel upset that she wasn't here.

Peggy caught this and placed a hand on his bare shoulder, "She is, however, nearby."

It wasn't much but it made Steve grow out a comfortable smile.

-=-

Today is a "No" day for Howl. That was all that came out of her mouth whenever anyone asked her or invited her to Project Rebirth.

Dr. Erskine: "Dr. Howlett, would you like to accompany me today with the procedure?"

No.

Peggy: "Would you like to ride with Rogers and I?"

No.

Howard: "Fondue?"

No.

All except Colonel Phillips, "Howl, I need you to do-"

"No, sir."

"You didn't even let me finish." He said angrily, "I need you to be on the lookout for any spies outside of the building, any more than a hundred square feet, and you report back. We can't risk this operation from failing."

Howl was surprised by this, "You're willing to let me do this after what happened last time?"

"I'm giving you a last chance." He sighed and Howl saw something he didn't mean for her to look...apologetic, "Your casualty that committed suicide is alive."

A small gasp escaped her lips and her eyes widen and he continued, "You're the only one who knows how this man looks like and you better find him before things go to shit."

She knew it! She knew he had escaped somewhere. Before she said anything the colonel held his hand up to finish his last order, "Howl, don't fuck this up."

And that is why she has not moved from her spot inside the taxi that was parked a building away and across the street from the Brooklyn Antique store. Her eyes had not moved away from that area. She knew who went in and who went out (which was no one). She was well aware of the men who prowled about outside the store. The colonel gave a distinct description of the men guarding the place and doing the exact same thing she was doing. She had been planted in the backseat for a while. Steve and Peggy had already entered the store for a good fifteen to twenty minutes. She pushed her foot up so that her knee gave her a place to rest her elbow. Back at the bay, there wasn't much of a clue. No body. No disturbance in the water. What was that pier called again?

"Hey, lady." The driver in the front called her, "You're not one of those crazy wives that are out stalking, are ya? Because I don't want any part of it."

She stared at him strangely and looked at herself. Nothing about her screams "crazy wife". Crazy, yes. Wife, I don't think so. She wasn't wearing any boy clothing this time or a wifey dress. She was wearing her usual SSR high-waist uniform pants, boots, and a button up beige blouse. She ignored him and went back to the situation at hand. Pier 13. That's what it was called. He dived down to the ocean but the water didn't leave a trace behind. Like he vanished... Or maybe...

"Seriously, lady, what are we doing here?" He eyed her not believing she was an officer of some sort.

It had to be a machine. She saw so many things in Germany that looked like it came out from those science fiction stories that adolescents are into these days. A machine that let a man disappear out of thin air. She gasped out loud, "It's not possible!"

"What isn't? The driver questioned and she gave him a crazed look, "Teleportation!"

She shouldn't be talking. What she does seemed impossible as well. Though if you look at her brother might as well live with the impossible. The taxi driver just kept staring at her. He had been contemplating whether to kick her out of his car for the past hour and now he regrets not doing it in the first place.

"I need you to take me to Pier 13." She demanded showing him a grand amount of money. The driver counted the money with a big ol' smile on his face, so happy that he wasn't stupid enough to kick her out.

"Whatever you say, miss." He chuckled as he started the car and drove off to the direction of one of the Brooklyn bays.

-=-

Abraham could not believe his eyes as the chamber opened. All his years of pain and hard work. It was done. He had done it. Project Rebirth is a success. There he lay breathing heavily onto the chamber. A new man. A powerful super soldier. Abraham had snapped out of it and went over to Steve to help him out. Howard followed and helped on the other side as Steve stumbled out.

Steve felt as if he were reborn in someone else's body. As his feet touched the cold floor, his back straight, he looked up in amazement. Everyone else congratulating themselves around him. It took him a while to realize someone was speaking to him in front of him, "How'd you feel?" Peggy asked. He looked around and noticed a difference in height, "Taller." He answered still out of breath.

After shaking hands with the senator, Abraham turned around and his eyes caught with another man. A chill ran through his eye as he heard Howl's voice in his head.

"He just looked at me with this smirk and fell into the ocean." She said with a little fear in her eyes, "It was no suicide, doctor. You believe me don't you?"

"I believe you, Howl." He whispered to himself as he saw the man smirking at him. In his hands lie a duplicate lighter. With a touch of the button. A loud explosion erupted above everyone. Abraham flinched as the glass shards slapped across his face though he was still be able to see the man grab the last serum. He bolted forward, "Stop him!"

The man pulled a gun and shot twice. Abraham felt two jabs on his major artery and his stomach. He wasn't able to stop him and Howl isn't here to save him this time. He can feel himself fall over but only to be caught by the super soldier. All he could hear is the gun firing in the background and the screams around him began to fade. He looked up to Steven with a smile and his chest began to hurt. His throat trying to clear itself as he spoke, "Howl." He looked down at Steve's chest and poked at his heart with his last strength as he bled out and welcomed death.

-=-

"Yo sweetheart, what are we doing here anyways?" The taxi driver spoke up as he blew out smoke from his cigarette. He'd been watching this strange lady dissecting every little thing around this pier and looking over the water every five minutes. He was starting to get worried. Hell, he was halfway through his pack.

"Let's go back." She straightened herself, "I must have missed something."

"Are you some kind of investigator?" He questioned as he followed her back to the taxi which was parked across the school bus.

"Yes, you could say that." She mumbled looking around but was distracted at the children nearby.

He shook his head not believing a word. As they neared the cab, he could hear the radio going off and emitting a hijacker distress call.

"Repeat, repeat. We've got a hijacked cab. Number RV-281F. For your safety and others do not engage with this vehicle and do not pick up other civilians until further notice."

"Great." He grumbled, "Looks like we're stranded here, doll."

Howl kept staring at the radio and felt her stomach sink. Something was not right. She had to go back.

"You have to take me back." She spoke up still staring at the radio.

"What are you nuts?" He asked, "You heard the call. Besides I don't want to get fired."

She turned back at the pier. There has to be something. The water. The water. She gasped and she looked at the driver, "Stay here."

She ran back to the spot where she was at and could hear him shout in the background, "I can't go anywhere, remember!"

She stared down at the water. Tempted to just jump in but she grabbed a thrown away PVC pipe and launched it down at the water like a spear. The pipe just sunk and she frowned grabbing another and throwing it again in another direction. THWACK. She heard a metal and she glared at the water. It was a submarine. A SUBMARINE! She bolted back to the driver and she saw him frowning at the radio. She neared him so she can hear as well.

"Dispatch. Hijacked cab full speed to the Brooklyn piers. Caution."

"Wanna play hero?" She asked him and she pointed to the children, "I need you to stop the cab." She commanded.

"No way." He answered and she pulled out more money, "To save their lives. The driver's motive is to get into Pier 13, help me stop him."

He stared at the chunk of money and the kids nearby. He shoved the money away. Howl frowned at the gesture but then he turned on the ignition.

"I don't know what you're investigating but I do hope you have backup and trust that you get those kids back into the bus." He muttered as he pulled on his seat belt. Howl smiled and let him be as she ran back to the kids looking for whoever is chaperoning them.

The driver then heard tires shrieking and can see a yellow cab speeding from afar. His engine roared and he sped in their direction. He grabbed onto his rosary and prayed. Then he saw a man holding onto dear life on top of the cab. "What the hell?" He didn't notice how close they were and he kicked the brakes and turned before the other cab collided with him. The opposing cab made impact on his tail which made it flip near the pier.

Howl could hear the gun shots in the background. She only hoped that everyone else made it out on time but the sounds of screaming disapproved that theory. She awaited the man near the submarine. "Don't shoot!" She heard from a distance and she saw the man who held a kid. She clenched her teeth as she failed to get everyone to safety. The man threw the kid into the water and ran towards her direction. He stopped automatically as he saw her with recognition in his eyes. She smirked, "Miss me?" He clicked the lighter in his hands as the submarine emerged from the water. She knew what he was going to do and she had to stop him. He pulled a knife out and she tackled him into the water. He smashed her head against the ship so that he can break free from her grip and flung her away. Before he could settle himself into the cockpit a fist came crashing through the glass window and pulled him out of the ship. Howl could feel her head throbbing and her lungs burning for oxygen. She swam up but felt a pair of arms pull her out rapidly. She gasped and landed on her back. Before she can get a second breath of air her camera man came at her. She punched his jaw before he could strangle her again and grabbed his collar, "Give it to me!" She growled mentioning whatever evidence he had of Dr. Erskine.

"What? This?" He held the serum in his hand and her eyes widen. Was the experiment a failure? He threw the serum against the wall and it cracked. She let go of him and shouted in despair, "No!" He kicked her down and before he could finish her the other man grabbed him up and socked his face, "Who the hell are you?" he demanded.

"The first of many." The man below him snickered as he chewed onto a fake tooth that held cyanide, "Cut off one head and two more shall take it's place." He choked out his last breath, "Heil Hydra!"

"Hydra." She growled pushing herself up listening to him coughing out foam. Mission failed. They are watching her. The other man let the hydra agent go and stood up looking himself over and at her. Finally recognizing her, "Dr. Howl?"

Sitting up and acknowledging the presence next to her, "Are you with the SSR?" she asked him.

"What?" He looked at her abdomen, "Howl, you're hurt."

She looked down to see the blade the hydra agent stabbed her with. The handle sticking out of her. Steve rushed to her not knowing what to. Pull it out? Or leave it in? His hand went to pull it out and she smacked it away, "Whoa there, boy." She stepped away from him, "It's best we leave it for the medics." She stopped herself as she caught his eye, "You..." She looked down at his body and then back up at his face. Then back down. Up. Down. Up.

"Impossible."

He smirked, "The tables have turned, Doc."

She smiled and pulled the knife from her body and she lift her shirt up to let him see the wound close, "Well...a bit. I still win."

He shook his head with a smile and froze as he felt Howl placed her hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat against it. It was beyond normal functioning. Stronger than any other man. Vitals are good. Really good. He's good.

He shyly looked away trying to avoid her amazed look and her hand. It suddenly hit her, "Oh my god... You made it out alive."

Finally regaining his confidence he placed his hand over hers and smiled, "Yeah, I did. I'm still me."

She smiled too, "Right you are, Steve."
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I had this draft up and going but it deleted on me a while back and Howl can express my despair in this chapter as it went bye bye. Finally! War chapters coming up! and Bucky, too!